Paint stripper for plastic models

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Modelstrip, although it's quite expensive?

Otherwise, use brake fluid with extreme care....

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
some peoples use very light sandpaper...very fine sandpapers to rub on it very gently..prime it up..then paint it...weatherin it.....
depend to the peoples who doing it ....hope it help....

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
ROSS said:
This has been the subject of a long discussion here previously. Try search at top of page.

....just what I was about to say Ross, it's all there, good advice...........

DaveB2

Registered
7 May 2011
Best answers
Country flag
Fairy power spray. Never used it on a loco but I have used it on plastic and rubbery stuff. Lifts the paint very well and leaves the plastic un damaged.

Don Gilham

Model railways, Photography, anything lazy
28 May 2011
Broome, Norfolk
Best answers
What you need, Alec, is the old nugget of a railway that is short of money, buys second hand stock from another railway and just paints over without bothering to completely remove the previous owner's markings.

Works for me :clap:

Tim Brien

Registered
29 May 2011
Best answers
Alec,
I have repainted many Bachmann locomotives and hated every minute. The factory Bachmann paint has a very oily type finish, even the flat black locomotives. If one simply thoroughly cleaned and then resprayed then the finish is like spraying water over oil. The paint 'pools' up. I found that sanding with very fine (#800/#1200) wet 'n' dry paper under a lot of running water to remove the bulk of the factory paint does help.

One does need to be very careful what solvent stripper is used. I would be very wary of the type of brake fluid used. Common brake fluid will cause plastic embrittlement and crazing of the surface. I think good old elbow grease is your best alternative.

alecescolme

Trains, Model Engineering, Cars
17 Oct 2010
Over Kellet, Carnforth
www.alecescolme.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Tim,
Thanks for the advice, I plan on using fine wet and dry for the open areas, but I don't want to damage the rivet detail- so I will try to remove the paint around them with a paint removing solution- testing on a small area first.

Thanks,
Alec