DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Morning all
I need some advice for my first stab at painting
I have this nice little winch which I’m thinking to mount on the front of my Bachmann Climax.
FB_IMG_1582880190013.jpg
I need to get some paints (was wondering about some Tamiya acrylics purely due to the range and easy availability)

To those painters and weatherers amongst you; what colours would you say I should be going for and what order should I be applying them in?

I’m thinking something like a steel/gunmetal structure, black gears and steel cable, winch drums and pistons?

Then grime’d up with some powders of some colour?

Any advice gratefully received!
Thanks
Darren

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Morning all
I need some advice for my first stab at painting
I have this nice little winch which I’m thinking to mount on the front of my Bachmann Climax.
View attachment 262210
I need to get some paints (was wondering about some Tamiya acrylics purely due to the range and easy availability)

To those painters and weathered amongst you; what colours would you say I should be going for and what order should I be applying them in?

I’m thinking something like a steel/gunmetal structure, black gears and steel cable, winch drums and pistons?

Then grime’d up with some powders of some colour?

Any advice gratefully received!
Thanks
Darren
You cannot go wrong with Tamiya acrylics. You could think about some of the weather powders going on when tye paint is still damp. This would help them to stick on.

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
You cannot go wrong with Tamiya acrylics. You could think about some of the weather powders going on when tye paint is still damp. This would help them to stick on.

Thanks for the advice, I'll remember that :)

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the advice, I'll remember that :)
I've not put the powders on damp paint - despite being incredibly impatient.

There is a package of three powders that gives you rust, black and gunmetal.

With these three, you don't have to worry too much about the precise shade of your main colour, as there's plenty of variation that can be achieved.

Matt varnish over the lot on completion >:)

Reactions: 1 user

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I've not put the powders on damp paint - despite being incredibly impatient.

There is a package of three powders that gives you rust, black and gunmetal.

With these three, you don't have to worry too much about the precise shade of your main colour, as there's plenty of variation that can be achieved.

Matt varnish over the lot on completion >:)

Grand. Thanks Rhino. I was going to pick up weathering power packs B, C and E as I reckoned they covered most colours I'd need.
Yep, once I'm happy with things, I'll seal it all as it's going to be handled and running outside :)