Owning and using solid meths tablets now needs a governement licence

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
This topic came up last night when having dinner with some friends and here is a link which explains thinks nice and succinctly:

The "widespread consultation" referred to by the government apparently was confined to a model yacht! Shows how the goverment thinks, yachts are powered by steam, e.g. as with the former royal yacht "Britannia".

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I am wondering if, like the changes to keeping guns, a model club could have the licence, and store the fuel tablets..
You then fuel the loco at the club, but leave the tablets there.

Though I am led to believe, it will be a little like having a fishing licence?
Though £39.50 for three years, is hardly onerous, compared to the cost of everything else railway related..

PhilP

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
There was an upgrade to convert Mamod locos to meths burning - this actually gave them a bit better running (as I understood at the time).

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
There was an upgrade to convert Mamod locos to meths burning - this actually gave them a bit better running (as I understood at the time).
My first stationary Mamwas fired by meths. By all accounts Mamod are developing another source of fuel at great expense, which, like most small companies, they can't really afford. Another example of half-witted idiots trying to justify their jobs. I suppose it's easier to bully small people than big people, just imagine if they tried to ban fertiliser, and how many gardeners with extremely large forks there are

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
My first stationary Mamwas fired by meths. By all accounts Mamod are developing another source of fuel at great expense, which, like most small companies, they can't really afford. Another example of half-witted idiots trying to justify their jobs. I suppose it's easier to bully small people than big people, just imagine if they tried to ban fertiliser, and how many gardeners with extremely large forks there are
We use the word 'government' quite loosely - in this case, as in many others, it means civil servants. I have not had the pleasure of working with one who knew what he was talking about, apart from the various military and intelligence services :emo::emo:

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
We use the word 'government' quite loosely - in this case, as in many others, it means civil servants. I have not had the pleasure of working with one who knew what he was talking about, apart from the various military and intelligence services :emo::emo:
The regulations were introduced as The Control of Poisons and Explosives Precursors Regulations 2023, and laid before Parliament and the whole process - the approval of the priniple, the detailed drawing up of the regulations, consultation with interested parties etc. - was the responsibility of a minister.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
The regulations were introduced as The Control of Poisons and Explosives Precursors Regulations 2023, and laid before Parliament and the whole process - the approval of the priniple, the detailed drawing up of the regulations, consultation with interested parties etc. - was the responsibility of a minister.
Yebbut, he's unlikely to be the one doing the work - he is advised by his staff. Yes minister :giggle::giggle:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Have to say the thought of all them Mamod guys going back to Meths with its invisible flames lighting up the track, surely that could not be worse than the Fire Lighter things?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Have to say the thought of all them Mamod guys going back to Meths with its invisible flames lighting up the track, surely that could not be worse than the Fire Lighter things?
This regulation also affects camping stoves.
Meths is obviously still used in16mm circles, I don't think many owners would even dream of ditching, or stop using, their old and much loved locos! If campers go back to using meths, especially in the dry summers we seem to be getting now, that's open to a huge disaster.

DickyC

(BZB Mountain Railway)
26 Jul 2017
Rural Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
I could not agree more, it always amazes me when people blame the government at the time for so many things......Torys this, Labour that etc... The BBC comedy "yes minister" describes how useless and corrupt they both are and are led by there own "pride" and pursuit of wealth often. as for terrorism, often its used by governments to keep its own citizens in continual fear. oh and dont always trust the military and unintelligence services either (watching the "Sandbaggers" TV series from the late 70s is a great way to discuss this). Trust yourself and what you only see with your own eyes and enjoy the rest as a great story. back to model trains !!!!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I could not agree more, it always amazes me when people blame the government at the time for so many things......Torys this, Labour that etc... The BBC comedy "yes minister" describes how useless and corrupt they both are and are led by there own "pride" and pursuit of wealth often. as for terrorism, often its used by governments to keep its own citizens in continual fear. oh and dont always trust the military and unintelligence services either (watching the "Sandbaggers" TV series from the late 70s is a great way to discuss this). Trust yourself and what you only see with your own eyes and enjoy the rest as a great story. back to model trains !!!!

The whole premise in Orwell's 1984.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
But he/she takes the decision.
Guided by the inept - who will have confirmed that they consulted; not necessarily who with :p

Yep ministers direct policy, and their minions do what they like :lipssealed:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Meths is obviously still used in16mm circles, I don't think many owners would even dream of ditching, or stop using, their old and much loved locos! If campers go back to using meths, especially in the dry summers we seem to be getting now, that's open to a huge disaster.
Liquid meths at my local G1 Group at Stonham has to be dyed purple.

Apparently when they had a small track fire, someone quickly threw clear meths on it, thinking it was water....

• Wow

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Yebbut, he's unlikely to be the one doing the work - he is advised by his staff. Yes minister :giggle::giggle:
Yes but we elect the people from whom ministers are chosen to look after our interests!
Sounds like the minister didn’t do the job thoroughly enough or just didn’t ask his/her civil servants about the implications and who was consulted!

Flying15

Registered
12 May 2015
London
Best answers
Country flag
Liquid meths at my local G1 Group at Stonham has to be dyed purple.

Apparently when they had a small track fire, someone quickly threw clear meths on it, thinking it was water....
Yes it was in Nottingham and it was reported somewhere that air ambulances were involved and people were badly burnt

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yes it was in Nottingham and it was reported somewhere that air ambulances were involved and people were badly burnt
There has been a lot of talk about this incident in the G1 journal without as far as I remember no details of where it was. Clear labelling and colour are important issues but also size of container and amount allowed in for a display also feature predominantly. Note these rules for your and others safety.

FUEL SAFETY Liquid Fuel

These rules developed 2w years ago by G1MRA

-Liquid fuel must be coloured

-Bring no more fuel to a meeting than required for running - maximum 1 litre or less.

-Store bulk fuel containers in a cool, secure place, remote from steaming bays, operators and spectators.

-Fill clear fuel dispensers such as squeezy bottles or syringes, of 500ml maximum capacity, locomotives and fuel tanks in the open air, away from sources of ignition such as running lines.

-Keep a hand fire extinguisher means such as water spray bottles, wet towels, fire blankets or extinguishers.

-Charge gas tanks in a remote location away from open flames and sources of ignition.

For my own part I will not have Meths fired locomotives running on my line, both here and at my previous line going back to before 2000. Reason being that Meths burns invisibly (despite the liquid being coloured) and can very quickly trash quite a bit of expensive plastic based track.

-Recharging gas tanks on running lines should not be permitted.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Yes but we elect the people from whom ministers are chosen to look after our interests!
Sounds like the minister didn’t do the job thoroughly enough or just didn’t ask his/her civil servants about the implications and who was consulted!
You don't buy a dog and bark yourself - senior civil servants are paid a big enough salary and should be competent, and a minster should be able to rely on that.

However, I have seen (first hand and by report) enough bungling to realise that's not the case, but a minister is not the civil servant's line manager in personnel matters - in many cases, the minister has to put up with what he is given, irrespective of party colour.

Yes, in theory, we change things at the ballot box, but (at the risk of getting political and risking the Mods' wrath) what as become clearer in recent years (not just the present government) is the inertia in the civil service that drags against change.