Overton style passenger cars

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
When did the Overton passenger coaches come out of every day service, just needing a aproximate year they ran until, if anyone can help. Thanks very much...........

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
it is safe to say they were used around 1900 and probably well into the 20s as a older style coach for short lines and poorer railroads

-overtons (in the original short style were introduced in the 1860-1870s) basically the next step up from a stage coach at the time-

the longer styled ones were around 1885 roughly -into 1910s

steel heavy heavy weights began to appear in the 1920s-and around the 1900s for the earlier wooden versions

hope this helps

and of course some of the stuff might end up on interurban lines and other secondary and tertiary buyers railroads-one might well see them in mexico into the 50's

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
too early for me then really. wonder who might make the ''heavy wheights''?

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
heavy weights in 1:29 i believe are made by either USA or Aristo

they look ok with many LGB engines including the aster hudson, and the mike

they obviously look great with locos from the same makers

the heavy weight coaches have some quirks re radius an points and reverse curves which you should look into

i have always loved heavy weight coaches

but 

for my narrow gauge -there was no such thing

duncan1_9_8_4

25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
think il have to stick with freight only line, they wont like my r1s lol

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
well 
for r1 
use lgb coaches -as you like 
they do all run on r1

rule 8

so what era is it that you are looking for?

marklin is re-releasing the smoothsides
the prices seem stupid compared to the old-inital street is about 400 each!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but
since i love passenger trains as well as freight-i dont always run era-i run whatever train i like-

i have set of smoothsides-(i dont model standard gauge or that era-but like many LGB items- i just had to have em anyway)  

and they are wonderful-very smooth-well lighted-and while not looking too great while doing it they do run on r1 without a hitch  

if you can find them on ebay they sell for less than the new ones, depending on roadname  

using the same abandon for era or reality on my little line

worse still, aesthetically, are the amtrak coaches which are huge-i have run them on R1 and they will go but even to my undemanding eye-its a bit off-these are however, one of the most interesting and certainly unique offering from LGB 

package deals on ebay are still around for amtrak items-engine and 3 cars for around 650US