Old Bassett Lowke Scotsman

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
My B/L Flying Scotsman is a good fifty years old, maybe more. I bought it from a guy in Cardiff who told me that it was originally in kit form.
I think that the makers were appealing to the amateur engineering market of which there were many and indeed still is (think of the thousands of Aster models that have been assembled over the years)
The engine, I was informed would travel in a straight line but not really pull anything. This all changed after John Shawe changed the boiler and most of the plumbing. Other than that most of the original is still intact. It had a new super heater about eight years back and that's it.
By the way it is Gauge 3, 22.5 scale running on 2 1/2 inch gauge track

Reactions: 5 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
My B/L Flying Scotsman is a good fifty years old, maybe more. I bought it from a guy in Cardiff who told me that it was originally in kit form.
I think that the makers were appealing to the amateur engineering market of which there were many and indeed still is (think of the thousands of Aster models that have been assembled over the years)
The engine, I was informed would travel in a straight line but not really pull anything. This all changed after John Shawe changed the boiler and most of the plumbing. Other than that most of the original is still intact. It had a new super heater about eight years back and that's it.

Looks to be more reliable than the real thing :devil::devil::devil:

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent, thank you for posting the video.

SW

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

Nice to see such regal progress, most live steam in G1 and 3 appear to be running at high speed with old boys struggling to keep up! In general many have not yet got into Radio Control prefering to get their mits burnt! Though of course there are a few exceptions to this.

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I am sorry to read of Dunnyrail's perception of the old boy's of G1 and G3 running after their speeding engines without the benefit of radio control. When you are holding a crusty cheese and pickle roll there is no room to hold anything else although I confess to chronic indigestion from time to time!

Reactions: 1 user

Sarah Winfield

Registered
20 Jun 2016
Dorset
Best answers
Country flag
I've watched the video half a dozen times now and It still excites me. I think it is the solidness of the model.

I have an O gauge (not live steam I must admit sadly) F.S but seeing one in that gauge is so enjoyable.

Thanks again for posting the video.

SW

main131

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I've watched the video half a dozen times now and It still excites me. I think it is the solidness of the model.

I have an O gauge (not live steam I must admit sadly) F.S but seeing one in that gauge is so enjoyable.

Thanks again for posting the video.

SW
Hi Sarah
Glad you like the old engine
I have a Gauge 3 garden meet on Friday 14th September with similar engines. Why don't you come along?
Regards Trevor