Oils & Lubricants

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
leedshillrailroad.weebly.com
Best answers
Hello fellow Railroaders,

I am trying to figure out what oils and lubricants I need for what operations on my railroad. I think that some of my older points would benefit from a little lubrication on the metal plates under the point blades, and it was suggested that I lube the cylinder of the Tenmille throws occasionally to prevent debris building up inside. Then, obviously, there is the locomotives.

I was thinking of buying this Woodland Scenics Hob-E-Lub pack: https://www.amazon.com/Woodland-Sce...Hob-E-Lube+HL650+Workbench+Assortment+-+7-Pak .

Thoughts?

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
it looks like a nice set of lubricants, but not sure if you need them all. Though there is a debate on "parasitic friendly oils" I believe some oils will deteriate some plastics, that said I would be looking at a dry lub, as this is less likely to attract dust and other debris.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The Hob-E-Lube set will be all you will ever need...
Though being greedy, I have the remains of some 'Copa-Slip' grease, I use in fishplates / joiners, and some graphite powder (use sparingly, this DOES conduct) which is good for sliding surfaces..

You can make the thinner oils last longer by transferring them to a 'needle-point' oiler, for those awkward nooks and crannies..

BakerJohn

Baker, Modeler, Flour Ambassador
3 Feb 2018
West Warwick, RI
leedshillrailroad.weebly.com
Best answers

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Hello fellow Railroaders,

I am trying to figure out what oils and lubricants I need for what operations on my railroad. I think that some of my older points would benefit from a little lubrication on the metal plates under the point blades, and it was suggested that I lube the cylinder of the Tenmille throws occasionally to prevent debris building up inside. Then, obviously, there is the locomotives.

I was thinking of buying this Woodland Scenics Hob-E-Lub pack: https://www.amazon.com/Woodland-Sce...Hob-E-Lube+HL650+Workbench+Assortment+-+7-Pak .

Thoughts?
The LGB Lubes also cover all needs as well as the Smoke Fluid which is a great cleaner and stops irritating squeeks from behind the wheel pickups.