Oh what a feelin! There's choo-choos on the ceilin!

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Not Lionel, or even Richie (I thought it was cute, sorry....)

Way back in May, I started putting up a ceiling track in the livingroom.
P5120002.jpg

P5120001.jpg

MAY!?!?!? This is only June now, right?

Anyway, I finally got my butt off dead center and put the rest of this up. It needs finished, and the shelf parts painted to match, but at least the train can go roundy round now. I had to put a dogleg in to clear the front door..... The door misses the tracks by about 1/8" maybe a little less
PB100042.jpg

Shelves along the side walls support the tracks. I'm thinking about painting up some building flats. and maybe adding some small foreground stuff.
PB100043.jpg

Old reliable #6 was pressed into service to check clearances and continuity. About this point the dogs went nuts because the train belongs OUTside! They eventually settled down and simply watched it go around for about an hour.
PB100045.jpg

The section across the end window will eventually be a suspension bridge, once I figure out the easiest way to do that.
PB100046.jpg

I made a corner shelf for Sara's little station and water tower. The real trick will be making crappy OSB (chipboard) look less like crappy OSB.
PB100047.jpg

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
At least having the line up there saves you the work of ballasting the track! Can you buy some flexible moulding trim for the edge of the plywood, and then paint the underside to match the ceiling? (lining paper first, maybe, to cover any wood-grain).

Low relief background scenerey sounds like a good idea. Do like #6; please could you remind me if/where the details of the loco have been posted here.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
When I visited the Florida Garden Railway Societies Convention in the late 80's (or early 90's) I did a tour of a house that had a "High Line" in it. The twist to that one was that it went through the Kitchen and Dining room of the Owner.

The lady of the House!

Wonder how many Ladies in the UK would want to build one of these or even tolerate one?
JonD

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
First, Thanks.

Second, on the topic of the lady of the house. This was done at her insistence. She saw it done at a some tourist trap and said she wanted one... to be HER layout. I'm just chief mechanical officer, gandy dancer, and all around flunky on this project.

last, re: #6.... It's probably here someplace, but here it is in a nutshell: http://www.the-ashpit.com/mik/StainzBash.html I did change out the tender tank after the last pics on that page were taken. It is a cut down Aristo/Delton one from the c-16. She's the one loco I own that I rarely have to worry about. Just place it on the rails, open the throttle and off it goes. (unless the stupid cat caused a rockslide... then it digs divots trying to puts the blockage away)

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Thanks for the Stainz kitbash details, Mik. It's the straight chimney and new (low) cab that really make a difference. Nice to meet up again with the other stuff on that weblink, too.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
When I visited the Florida Garden Railway Societies Convention in the late 80's (or early 90's) I did a tour of a house that had a "High Line" in it. The twist to that one was that it went through the Kitchen and Dining room of the Owner.

The lady of the House!

Wonder how many Ladies in the UK would want to build one of these or even tolerate one?
JonD

Well I know my good lady would not, no way

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
Well I never.trains in the ceiling. But I would never have dared put it in the living room, it's bad enough out of sight in my playroom
dbe0ae4466ef4921a327ab4eab801acc.jpg

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
I started a covered bridge tonight... only one side is done. Need to get some more 1/8 x 6 wood. We also decided to face the shelves with 1x2s for looks and added strength -- plus to make a short ledge to catch any derailments.
PB120043.jpg

#6 pulls a freight
PB120042.jpg

Kim's #3.... the only AV locomotive with sound (Factory Aristocraft, ugh!).... The speaker in the tender floor sure is a LOT louder when it's overhead. This will probably be the primary motive power on the loop, since it's hers.
PB120045.jpg

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Interesting. The first operating LGB I ever saw back in 1981 or so was a railway "up above".

Anyhow, has anyone done this with live steam, especially meths fired?:callme:

bigjack

Railways of all shapes and sizes G 00 and big en's
24 Oct 2009
On the sunny North Coast of Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Bram said:
dunnyrail said:

The lady of the House!

JonD

Well I know my good lady would not, no way
She'd be that polite, I know what Mary would say, and it would be far blunter than that:rolleyes::happy:

pbmm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
very interesting but with that in this house it would a fast track to the nearest skip and me to the nearest magestrates court for a very quick divorce

Shawn

Hiking, cross country skiing, snowshoeing
Looks great Mik. I like the covered bridge idea. I have a bunch of old Lionel track that I dont use. I plan on doing an overhead with those either in my sons room or the spare bedroom. My daughters dentist has lionel running above in the office. I thought it looked great. Thats another project I have to start working on.

Mik

17 Dec 2009
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
I used to sell live steam stuff..... one year I got a frantic call on New Year's Day asking me how to get steam oil out of white carpet..............................

What kind of idiot buys WHITE carpet anyway? :D

Zman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
On a hillside in Morley, overlooking Leeds!
Best answers
8|;) Can't get that tune out of my head now! :happy:

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Spule 4 said:
Interesting. The first operating LGB I ever saw back in 1981 or so was a railway "up above".

Anyhow, has anyone done this with live steam, especially meths fired?:callme:

Yes I tried it once wasn't the most successful idea I've ever had.....................................................
f02540aff107444ca6246309062ebc49.jpg