Tony Hunter

Tony - He/They - on long term break
2 May 2016
Northern Ireland
facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
20220827_005221.png
Welcome to the Oak Tree Carriage Works - Workbench thread.

This is where all the activities of rolling stock modifications, repainted, building & printing will be going for the Cherry Tree Jct Railway & South Down Railway will go.

I look forward to posting updates here in future!

especially with the pesky playmobil loco

Tony Hunter

2 May 2016
Northern Ireland
facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Project: V M T

Over the last few weeks, I've been busy on the nice sunny days that I'm off work on, I've spent a few hours on each working on a playmobil rc locomotive dismantling it for repaint which has proven much more difficult than first thought.

I had originally planned to repaint a few of these locomotives, keeping one in yellow (just details spruced up) & later convert one into a Schwerkleinwagen SKL / VMT type vehicle, inspired loosely by NIR's / DCDR's geismar VMT.

20220828_191738.jpg20220828_191656.jpg
DCDR's ex-NIR geismar VMT vehicle - my own reference photos (©️)

But because of the amount of damage sustained of trying to dismantle the vehicle & the amount of modifications required for that project, I think it'll make more sense to bring that project forward & use that particular playmobil locomotive.

The parts that have been repainted (battery bonnet) will be reused on another playmobil locomotive that will eventually get repainted, now I know what to do & not to do!

20220908_010715.jpg
Quick sketch on a blank receipt paper of the modified playmobil locomotive for a VMT inspired vehicle.

FB_IMG_1662596533011.jpgFB_IMG_1662596521856.jpg
From sketch to a little bit more detailed graphic with a livery design.... keeping in theme with the older MPV livery (more on this at a later date)....
72479_4765febcfbf631d6913b29a01ad3d98a.png

20220819_170443.jpgThe locomotive in question that was originally planned for a repaint

20220819_185456.jpg20220819_185507.jpg20220821_165038.jpg20220821_165050.jpg20220821_172509.jpg20220821_172516.jpg
Attempting to unclip the body in preparation for the repaint.

20220821_172546.jpg20220821_172555.jpg
Two of the clips that had been trashed as they were in a unreasonable place.

20220901_213206.jpg20220901_213218.jpgFour of the inner clips drilled out using a dremel power tool.

20220901_213233.jpgSome of damage sustained.

20220906_142011.jpgThe bodyshell is off!

20220906_142019.jpgSome damage sustained to the bodyshell. Also showing some of locations of hidden clips.
Once the plastic filler & a new roll of masking tape arrives, work will start again with this, I'll post more then!

Reactions: 1 user

Tony Hunter

2 May 2016
Northern Ireland
facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Project: Locomotive repaints

Whilst the original plan for the locomotive from the last post was to repaint it into the SDR red livery, that has been passed onto another playmobil locomotive which I'm looking forward to purchasing in future.

20220819_170443.jpgFB_IMG_1660947004853.jpg

The other locomotive playmobil locomotive I have will be painted to SDR blue livery.

Poir to deciding to can the repaint for the above locomotive, I had started the repaint process for the SDR red livery with having started painting the battery bonnet, which will be used on the future locomotive, & the roof, which will be swapped with the SDR blue locomotive. 20220819_164415.jpg20220819_185529.jpg20220821_164927.jpg20220821_164932.jpg20220821_164938.jpg20220823_145411.jpg20220823_145433.jpg20220823_145500.jpg20220823_184908.jpg

Repaints happens in the reused cardboard box as a paint booth.

As Repaints slowly continues, I'll slowly continue to update.... :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I think you may be challenged fitting batteries into the PW Geismar vehicle. LiPo’s may be your friend on this one. BUT do not underestimate the precautions and correct charger required for this battery chemistry. Though AAA NiMh may be shoe horned in to sundry hiding places with split wire joined tabbed batteries. Look at the tricks I used on my Piko 25t diesel.

Reactions: 1 user

Tony Hunter

2 May 2016
Northern Ireland
facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I think you may be challenged fitting batteries into the PW Geismar vehicle. LiPo’s may be your friend on this one. BUT do not underestimate the precautions and correct charger required for this battery chemistry. Though AAA NiMh may be shoe horned in to sundry hiding places with split wire joined tabbed batteries. Look at the tricks I used....
Indeed! That's one of the challenges I had spotted too, but I think I could squeeze a 9v rechargeable battery & cradle in-between the cab interior & cab bodyshell (which will be removable).

I am looking into the LiPo & NiMh batteries for another project that's on the background workbench, just need to sort some errors with the controller out first!

That's an excellent thread by the way, I like the conversion!

Tony Hunter

2 May 2016
Northern Ireland
facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Quick update, parts have been ordered which will hopefully arrive within the next week or so & allow further development on this project.

Tony Hunter

2 May 2016
Northern Ireland
facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Quick update, parts have been ordered which will hopefully arrive within the next week or so & allow further development on this project.
Parts are starting to arrive which means I can crack on with the VMT project, the main parts have certainly arrived & just awaiting the small detailed parks from ebay to get here.

Watch this space, I hope to get another update out on Sunday or Monday.

20220916_180155.jpg

Tony Hunter

2 May 2016
Northern Ireland
facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

Currently converting this playmobil locomotive into a VMT (Schwerkleinwagen / SKL) type vehicle for the South Down Railway / Cherry Tree Jct Railway & thought I would play around with adding a plough attachment plate to the crane end.

Yes, it's a ta big, but I think I'm happy with it.

Plus it can be shared with the bruder vehicles around the scenes of the railway!

20220919_143016.jpg20220919_143022.jpg20220919_143016.jpg20220919_143036.jpg20220919_143108.jpg

In regards to the parts arriving, the majority of the parts have arrived. I need to order some parts from playmobil, in particular, the hiab crane as the other one I got is huge! (I hadn't realised this at the time of ordering). Other parts, such as lamp irons, nameplates, light clusters etc, I plan on 3D printing.

Need to order a tool too.

Cherry Tree Jct Railway is a private G scale garden railway, inspired by various 3ft narrow gauge railways across the UK, Isle of Ireland & Isle of Man.

Attachments

• 20220919_143046.jpg
    20220919_143046.jpg
    310.3 KB · Views: 0

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag

Currently converting this playmobil locomotive into a VMT (Schwerkleinwagen / SKL) type vehicle for the South Down Railway / Cherry Tree Jct Railway & thought I would play around with adding a plough attachment plate to the crane end.

Yes, it's a ta big, but I think I'm happy with it.

Plus it can be shared with the bruder vehicles around the scenes of the railway!

View attachment 304351View attachment 304352View attachment 304351View attachment 304350View attachment 304348

In regards to the parts arriving, the majority of the parts have arrived. I need to order some parts from playmobil, in particular, the hiab crane as the other one I got is huge! (I hadn't realised this at the time of ordering). Other parts, such as lamp irons, nameplates, light clusters etc, I plan on 3D printing.

Need to order a tool too.

Cherry Tree Jct Railway is a private G scale garden railway, inspired by various 3ft narrow gauge railways across the UK, Isle of Ireland & Isle of Man.
Erm, out of interest, do you know something about the weather coming this winter that we don't?

Tony Hunter

2 May 2016
Northern Ireland
facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Erm, out of interest, do you know something about the weather coming this winter that we don't?
I wish!
Just something I ordered for the VMT type vehicle whilst ordering other parts.

Although, as a fan of snow, I do hope to see some snow!

Tony Hunter

2 May 2016
Northern Ireland
facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Project: Truckin'

As work slowly continues on the VMT type vehicle project & the building gets underway of the Cherry Tree Jct Railway, I've decided to start planning on the vehicles which will be used (& occasionally moved around) for scenery around the railway.

A few of these vehicles will be engineering fleet vehicles for the railway & Oak Tree Carriage Works.

As its based off (with creativeness & creative licences in full use) a 3Ft narrow gauge railway, I've gone with bruder trucks.

Below are the rough idea liveries for the small engineering fleet in SDR livery, using the stock product images from bruder. I will of course in due time get livery artwork done at some-point, similar to those from the Playmobil locos.

These trucks will primarily sit outside the railway shed (that's another future project, look out for that in the future) but will of course be moved around the railway!

FB_IMG_1663976181328.jpg"Big Mack" - The pride of the fleet for transporting rail vehicles for Oak Tree Carriage Works (OTCW), a MACK lorry with a low loader trailer. First draft design of simple SDR / OTCW livery. Image: Bruder stock product image - edited.

FB_IMG_1663976177786.jpg"Big Man" - SDR's PW/ engineering mix duties MAN lorry & low loader trailer along with a JCB tractor digger - "Wee Dig". First draft design of simple SDR livery. Image: Bruder stock product image - edited.

FB_IMG_1663976174475.jpgFB_IMG_1663976171378.jpg

"Big Merc" - SDR's mixed duties Arocs lorry, used for duties at OTCW, along with PW & engineering duties across the SDR & Cherry Tree Jct Railway networks. Occasionally installing signals & carrying wrong cut sleepers too! It may even share a plough with the VMT type vehicle ;)
First draft design of simple SDR livery. Image: Bruder stock product image - edited.

I should note that there are other vehicles for the scenery of Cherry Tree Jct Railway too which C & J are working on, such as a convertible playmobil police car! I very much look forward to seeing that. The above ones are just some that I am planning on which alike other parts will be shared between SDR & Cherry Tree. :)

Cherry Tree Jct Railway, a private fictional based G scale garden railway project by C. T. & J. Inspired by various 3ft narrow gauge railways across the UK, Isle of Ireland & Isle of Man.

Last edited:

Tony Hunter

2 May 2016
Northern Ireland
facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Project: Truckin'

As work slowly continues on the VMT type vehicle project & the building gets underway of the Cherry Tree Jct Railway, I've decided to start planning on the vehicles which will be used (& occasionally moved around) for scenery around the railway.

A few of these vehicles will be engineering fleet vehicles for the railway & Oak Tree Carriage Works.

As its based off (with creativeness & creative licences in full use) a 3Ft narrow gauge railway, I've gone with bruder trucks.

Below are the rough idea liveries for the small engineering fleet in SDR livery, using the stock product images from bruder. I will of course in due time get livery artwork done at some-point, similar to those from the Playmobil locos.

These trucks will primarily sit outside the railway shed (that's another future project, look out for that in the future) but will of course be moved around the railway!

View attachment 304461"Big Mack" - The pride of the fleet for transporting rail vehicles for Oak Tree Carriage Works (OTCW), a MACK lorry with a low loader trailer. First draft design of simple SDR / OTCW livery. Image: Bruder stock product image - edited.

View attachment 304462"Big Man" - SDR's PW/ engineering mix duties MAN lorry & low loader trailer along with a JCB tractor digger - "Wee Dig". First draft design of simple SDR livery. Image: Bruder stock product image - edited.

View attachment 304463View attachment 304464

"Big Merc" - SDR's mixed duties Arocs lorry, used for duties at OTCW, along with PW & engineering duties across the SDR & Cherry Tree Jct Railway networks. Occasionally installing signals & carrying wrong cut sleepers too! It may even share a plough with the VMT type vehicle ;)
First draft design of simple SDR livery. Image: Bruder stock product image - edited.

I should note that there are other vehicles for the scenery of Cherry Tree Jct Railway too which C & J are working on, such as a convertible playmobil police car! I very much look forward to seeing that. The above ones are just some that I am planning on which alike other parts will be shared between SDR & Cherry Tree. :)

Cherry Tree Jct Railway, a private fictional based G scale garden railway project by C. T. & J. Inspired by various 3ft narrow gauge railways across the UK, Isle of Ireland & Isle of Man.

Update on Project: Truckin'....

Post in thread 'South Down Railway'

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
It would be interesting to see how much snow that playmobil train could push with that size of plow.