26 Jan 2021
79576 Weil am Rhein, Germany
Country
Germany
fam-weniger.jimdofree.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hello together,
Does anyone have experience with North Pilton Works buildings?
I think they look nice, but they are made of wood. What about the durability outside? I don't take my houses down over the winter.
Thanks for your experiences

Andreas

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
As you may have gathered I am building a NP Tram kit, they use a good quality of ply that is lazer cut. However it is generally not a good idea to leave ply buildings outside all the time as the inevitable delimitation will occur. However I do have this book
image.jpg
where he gives just that detail on Page 178. However he also says “Plywood edges can gain extra protection if scorched with a blowtorch, followed by a dose of PVA (external grade PVA would be the thing) applied to the surface while still warm.

I have never tried this myself, but can honestly say that I have had many years out of some ply when used for roofs only that were covered in roofing felt. But where your problems come is where a building sits on the ground, here water will puddle under the building / ground interface whatever that may be. The above technique should give some time for protection but how long with any kind ply is open to debate.

RDFMTS2

Dyffryn Llynfi & Porthcawl Railway
5 May 2015
South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
Yes a very good book which talks through the pros and cons of using various materials for garden railway buildings. The other thing Peter and Kes suggest in the book, with timber, is to raise the building slightly so that it is not sitting in water. Having seen some of their buildings done that way, it is not noticeable. Well worth a visit if you get the chance and you will I'm sure get a warm welcome if you are ever over in the UK. I tend not to leave Pilton buildings outside for long periods, but they are nicely produced kits when you get them. Usually seems to take two or three months from ordering to delivery but worth the wait. We have several which our son bought as birthday presents for us, which mainly get used on the exhibition layout as they stand up well to closer inspection. You may get away with leaving outside if well sealed, but I personally would not do that.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Hello together,
Does anyone have experience with North Pilton Works buildings?
I think they look nice, but they are made of wood. What about the durability outside? I don't take my houses down over the winter.
Thanks for your experiences

Andreas
Yes, they are nice buildngs - no, they do not survive well outside.

I've used one of their buildings, and was very careful to ensure that it was completely sealed with paint, and varnish, all over, including every possible nook and cranny.

There is a debate about whether to treat timber parts before they are glued together or after assembly. I tend to go for afterwards, as any glue that is used is only as strong as the sub-strate to which it is applied. I'd rather have the glue direct on the wood.

Whether that accelerated the building's demise is unclear, but after four or five years, the roof has delaminated badly.