Newbie to the world of Trains outdoors and making them R/C

SteamPoweredZaku

Registered
31 Aug 2023
Michigan
Best answers
Country flag
Hello! My name is Di (dee) and I've just recently started my dream of outdoor model trains. I used to collect HO as a kid and tween, and now as an adult with a decent income and some space, I want to do it all over again, but this time outside! I also feel fairly confident that I want to go full RC conversion. I've been reading the riksrailway.blogspot posts for several weeks now just to work up the nerve to take apart my Americanized Stainz. I'm excited to dive into this wealth of knowledge and hope to post photos soon of my work!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Di. There's more than few threads about RC control, battery power etc. The hard part is deciding which method or control system to use, most are good, but it's like most things, down to individual taste.
Yes pictures would be expected, and beware of the humour

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Di, I see Paul has already warned you about the humour, the other thing is we love to see photos of what you are doing, so please post any progress :)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Di, for what it is worth I have been down the RC DCC route and am now full RC Battery with both DCC and Analogue controlled locomotives via on board battery. Many would argue different, but as the market for systems is now I would never have gone down the track power route, but that is a personal perspective. Have a look at my line build link below, then look at some of the battery conversions not just by me but others, Ge_Rik and his blog are well worth a long hard look at.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I went to DCC as I forget to charge batteries and the battery world is single mfg electronics. If a vender stops manufacturing items then you will have to convert to another manufacturer, also if the vendor upgrades their product and does not maintain backward compatibility. DCC has all vendors decoders work with all venders systems and even work with some battery systems. Just my opinion and what I do. Some end users make their own electronics for battery and DCC operation and do not care if a manufacturer goes away.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I went to DCC as I forget to charge batteries and the battery world is single mfg electronics. If a vender stops manufacturing items then you will have to convert to another manufacturer, also if the vendor upgrades their product and does not maintain backward compatibility. DCC has all vendors decoders work with all venders systems and even work with some battery systems. Just my opinion and what I do. Some end users make their own electronics for battery and DCC operation and do not care if a manufacturer goes away.
Yep, you're right but generally with R/C, you have a Tx that works with an Rx in your loco and that's about it. If the manufacturer stops producing, then it doesn't impact on your railway operation.

Okay, it may not be quite that simple as some Txs can be used with multiple Rxs and thus multiple locos but, again, if you can no longer get one type of Rx to match your Tx, you can get another Tx/Rx system for future locos.

I have about four Txs (I think) and something like eight Rxs in locos and railcars (I might have forgotten one somewhere).

The beauty of R/C is that you don't need clean track - plonk and go,

You pays yer money and you takes yer choice :rock::rock::rock::rock:

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Di
Welcome to the wonderful world of garden railways. Glad to hear my blog has been useful.
I'm not sure which RC system you're planning on using but you can rest assured that Andy at Micron has now developed really good receivers which are compatible with Deltang transmitters so the future of that system is assured for a good while yet.

Rik

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Love it! Pretty much sums up why I abandoned DC and DCC track power in favour of RC. But you've probably seen my video explaining my reasoning ..... :D

Rik

Reactions: 1 user

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, you're right but generally with R/C, you have a Tx that works with an Rx in your loco and that's about it. If the manufacturer stops producing, then it doesn't impact on your railway operation.

Okay, it may not be quite that simple as some Txs can be used with multiple Rxs and thus multiple locos but, again, if you can no longer get one type of Rx to match your Tx, you can get another Tx/Rx system for future locos.

I have about four Txs (I think) and something like eight Rxs in locos and railcars (I might have forgotten one somewhere).

You pays yer money and you takes yer choice :rock::rock::rock::rock:
I went down the road of using model aircraft transmitters and receivers you can mix and match as long as you use the same format eg DSM2 and I don't think I'll ever see the demise of them.
I have even gone to the extreme of putting one in a new box and turning it into one that can control 4 locos at the same time. It is working very well and plans are afoot to convert another.

I also use multiple types of motor controllers a few designed for robotics, I tend to look on my trains as robots that have guideline to follow. ;);)
Living in a far flung outpost of the empire (Australia) does have its drawbacks; there is the tyranny of distance and lack of availability of dealers (shipping from overseas nearly doubles the cost), so improvisation is a necessity if I want to be in the hobby.

KBR

LGB
26 Nov 2009
AUSTRALIA
Best answers
Country flag
I went down the road of using model aircraft transmitters and receivers you can mix and match as long as you use the same format eg DSM2 and I don't think I'll ever see the demise of them.
I have even gone to the extreme of putting one in a new box and turning it into one that can control 4 locos at the same time. It is working very well and plans are afoot to convert another.

I also use multiple types of motor controllers a few designed for robotics, I tend to look on my trains as robots that have guideline to follow. ;);)
Living in a far flung outpost of the empire (Australia) does have its drawbacks; there is the tyranny of distance and lack of availability of dealers (shipping from overseas nearly doubles the cost), so improvisation is a necessity if I want to be in the hobby.
Well GAP “the tyranny of distance” sums up Australia’s large scale rail hobby purchase problems. But there is also the exchange rate problem: double the number after the USD, GBP or Euro number and you have the AUD value, then add postage from around the world to Down Under, and allow for the”Harvey Norman“ import tax as well ( if the AUD value of purchase price and postage exceeds a certain low amount). What amazes me is the speed of Australia Post delivery (by road) for a locally purchased item is the same for US Postal Service low cost air parcel across the Pacific Ocean from the US Mid West or West Coast or via the Middle East from New York! An example: overseas cost vs Aussie cost for the top range LGB Art.-No. 26273, RhB class G 3/4 loco
Europe Maerklin Shop 2990 euros
UK. ChalkGarden 2948 GBP ( VERY FEW UK DEALERS WILL SELL TO AUSTRALIA)
USA Only Trains 3100 (slashed to 2999.99) USD
and
AUSTRALIA. 5000 AUD
(local shop)

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Well GAP “the tyranny of distance” sums up Australia’s large scale rail hobby purchase problems. But there is also the exchange rate problem: double the number after the USD, GBP or Euro number and you have the AUD value, then add postage from around the world to Down Under, and allow for the”Harvey Norman“ import tax as well ( if the AUD value of purchase price and postage exceeds a certain low amount). What amazes me is the speed of Australia Post delivery (by road) for a locally purchased item is the same for US Postal Service low cost air parcel across the Pacific Ocean from the US Mid West or West Coast or via the Middle East from New York! An example: overseas cost vs Aussie cost for the top range LGB Art.-No. 26273, RhB class G 3/4 loco
Europe Maerklin Shop 2990 euros
UK. ChalkGarden 2948 GBP ( VERY FEW UK DEALERS WILL SELL TO AUSTRALIA)
USA Only Trains 3100 (slashed to 2999.99) USD
and
AUSTRALIA. 5000 AUD
(local shop)
Yes but what is the exchange rate! £2,948.00 is AU$5,741.70, so at 5000 you are getting a bargain.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard Di.

For what it's worth, since you are located on our side of the pond, a stateside R/C supplier might be the way to go. I have had excellent results from anything I have purchased from G Scale Graphics. I switched to battery power in 2011 and haven't looked back once. Del Tapparo, the owner and designer of the equipment is easy to deal with and offers excellent support for his products.

Here is their site;

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I fully concur with Dan, there are some battery RC systems stateside that make my me drool with the facilities on offer. Perhaps a read of the on-line Garden Railroading News magazine that is now available will show some of the delights to be had.

SteamPoweredZaku

Registered
31 Aug 2023
Michigan
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you all so much for the warm welcome and all the information so far! I can't wait to get to work now!