New Zinc-Air battery technology..

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Some tech news appeared in one of my feeds today about a new battery technology that reputedly outperforms lithium ion on every level... Safer, cheaper and longer lasting.

Whether this new tech makes it to the hobby market remains to be seen (I have a feeling the chemistry is predominantly large-scale power based), but if it does, it could be a very positive thing for power choice (no pun intended!)

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Some tech news appeared in one of my feeds today about a new battery technology that reputedly outperforms lithium ion on every level... Safer, cheaper and longer lasting.

Whether this new tech makes it to the hobby market remains to be seen (I have a feeling the chemistry is predominantly large-scale power based), but if it does, it could be a very positive thing for power choice (no pun intended!)
Hm be interesting to see developments, if it is a good as reputed it is likely to be grabbed up by portable computing lot. That will be the thing that scales it down both in size and costs for us........heventually.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
This is common, new types are being discovered all the time, the lithium iron was touted as uber safe, etc. but years later still not revolutionizing the industry.

The transition from laboratory to production to profitable production is rare for all the discoveries...

Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Single-use zinc-air is commonly used for hearing-aid batteries.. Giving 5-7 days life dependent on usage and type of hearing-aid.

Whilst inherently safe.. They do not like the damp, and as-yet, recharging has not really left the laboratory..

Michael

Registered
26 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
This is common, new types are being discovered all the time, the lithium iron was touted as uber safe, etc. but years later still not revolutionizing the industry.

The transition from laboratory to production to profitable production is rare for all the discoveries...

Greg

From the Nobel Prize website

The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2019

9 October 2019

The Royal Swedish Academy of Sciences has decided to award the Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2019 to

John B. Goodenough
The University of Texas at Austin, USA

M. Stanley Whittingham
Binghamton University, State University of New York, USA

Akira Yoshino
Asahi Kasei Corporation, Tokyo, Japan
Meijo University, Nagoya, Japan

“for the development of lithium-ion batteries”

They created a rechargeable world

The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2019 rewards the development of the lithium-ion battery. This lightweight, rechargeable and powerful battery is now used in everything from mobile phones to laptops and electric vehicles. It can also store significant amounts of energy from solar and wind power, making possible a fossil fuel-free society.

Lithium-ion batteries are used globally to power the portable electronics that we use to communicate, work, study, listen to music and search for knowledge. Lithium-ion batteries have also enabled the development of long-range electric cars and the storage of energy from renewable sources, such as solar and wind power.

Lithium-ion batteries have revolutionised our lives since they first entered the market in 1991. They have laid the foundation of a wireless, fossil fuel-free society, and are of the greatest benefit to humankind.

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
An interesting aspect about rechargeable batteries. The Lithium Ion 8650 is like an over-sized AA and commonly used in security cameras and the like. I think they are the basis for the Tesla car battery which has thousands of them all wired together under the car floor.

Rare Look Inside A Tesla Model S Battery Pack

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Doesn't one come battered? Could be a celling point if so

Is a group of battered fishes called a battery of fishes? This and other perplexing questions in life, I ponder on while waiting for my chips. :think:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Is a group of battered fishes called a battery of fishes? This and other perplexing questions in life, I ponder on while waiting for my chips. :think:
No, they're called dinner

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

justme igor

Registered
17 Apr 2020
Netherlands Westwoud
Country
Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Most zinc based cells are very safe but low in storage capacity/volume.
The biggest problem with zinc technology is ever couple (2 to 8 depends of use and chemistry)of cycles you must completely drain the cell 0V, before you can charge it up to his full capacity use and potential.
Zinc based cells can store a tremendous amount of power, but can not take or give a lot, approx 5 to 10% of there total capacity.
Zinc based cells are one of the oldest used chemistry, even back to the roman empire!
For energy storage 1886.
Dispite there low capacity/volume ratio and you tread them as you should, they can live forever and even outlast lto cells.

Every once in a while, a professor claims he found the holy grail, the solution for every energy storage: zinc based...just like the aa20 i want to build....it will work?
For now the lithium based technology is still the best, (IMO caus i know how to work with and on them) improving with a lot of additives. Li ion, lifepo4 and the best lithium chemistry: the lto cells.
Lifepo is consider to be the safest. lto is to expensive, we will see where the market is over 10 years.

With best regards, Igor