New to steam

mark jam

Registered
23 Jan 2018
evesham
Best answers
Country flag
Hi bought a Hornby 3.5 gauge live steam rocket I want to test it with compressed air but I don't now how to start the gas bottle leaks so live steam is out and I don't want to buy a replacement until I know the loco works does anybody know what threads they used and is there some sort of adaptor I could buy to fit in the boiler would a electric car pump be strong enough I am completely new to steam this is my 1st post thanks mark

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Mark. I've no idea of the sort of pump you'll require, but you've gone the way about it. Don't mess about with gas and fire, it's obvious, but folk tend to ignore commonsense whilst in pursuit of action! A car pump my well do it, start with low pressure and build up slowly, if the loco is free, things should start moving at a fairly low pressure, you could even try a bike hand pump.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Mark,
Does the motion turn freely, by hand? - That would be where I would start..

You can use a garden pump-sprayer, and may well find you can hold the plastic pipe firmly enough to a union on the loco to get motion?

I would also contact a local Model Engineering society. - Probably closed, for now, but an email / phone call may well find someone local who can offer help and advice?

Enjoy! - And tell us how you get on. We especially like pictures! :):nod:

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I want to test it with compressed air
We had a whole discussion about that in January on the other forum:
Large Scale Central - Advanced Forum Detail Topic - How to properly test a live steamer on air

I don't think a hand pump will work, as you need your hands free to adjust, manipulate and otherwise deal with the loco. A garden sprayer, especially the type you pump up might suffice. I use a portable tire pump that I keep in my car - I do so few miles in retirement that I have to check my own tires, and air hoses at gas stations are becoming few and far between.

Anyway, the portable air pump came with a bunch of plastic nozzles for beach balls, boat fenders, etc. Usually one will be a close fit in a hole in your boiler - probably the hole where you fill it with water. [Not personally familiar with the Rocket.] Use tape to make it a better fit, but it doesn't have to be screwed in and it doesn't need to be tight. The air pump is producing air at 50+psi and your loco should run on 20-30psi.

So now you have a fit for the hose, I take the whole thing down to my SUV which has a 12V outlet in the back. I prop up the loco on blocks or rollers and start the pump. You should see the pressure gauge register something, and you can set the gear and open the throttle just as if it was in steam.

A couple of other matters. Do make sure you have oiled the motion (bearings, axles, etc.) And don't run it for long - a minute or two is fine but you don't have any emulsified steam oil lubricating the cylinders.

mark jam

Registered
23 Jan 2018
evesham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Mark. I've no idea of the sort of pump you'll require, but you've gone the way about it. Don't mess about with gas and fire, it's obvious, but folk tend to ignore commonsense whilst in pursuit of action! A car pump my well do it, start with low pressure and build up slowly, if the loco is free, things should start moving at a fairly low pressure, you could even try a bike hand pump.
hi paul thanks for your input and your time im going to see if I can sort a adapter of some kink I have a car pump thank again mark

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
if I can sort a adapter of some kink I have a car pump
We'd love to see how it works out, and where you feed air into a Hornby Rocket. :D

Reactions: 1 user

mark jam

Registered
23 Jan 2018
evesham
Best answers
Country flag
We had a whole discussion about that in January on the other forum:
Large Scale Central - Advanced Forum Detail Topic - How to properly test a live steamer on air

I don't think a hand pump will work, as you need your hands free to adjust, manipulate and otherwise deal with the loco. A garden sprayer, especially the type you pump up might suffice. I use a portable tire pump that I keep in my car - I do so few miles in retirement that I have to check my own tires, and air hoses at gas stations are becoming few and far between.

Anyway, the portable air pump came with a bunch of plastic nozzles for beach balls, boat fenders, etc. Usually one will be a close fit in a hole in your boiler - probably the hole where you fill it with water. [Not personally familiar with the Rocket.] Use tape to make it a better fit, but it doesn't have to be screwed in and it doesn't need to be tight. The air pump is producing air at 50+psi and your loco should run on 20-30psi.

So now you have a fit for the hose, I take the whole thing down to my SUV which has a 12V outlet in the back. I prop up the loco on blocks or rollers and start the pump. You should see the pressure gauge register something, and you can set the gear and open the throttle just as if it was in steam.

A couple of other matters. Do make sure you have oiled the motion (bearings, axles, etc.) And don't run it for long - a minute or two is fine but you don't have any emulsified steam oil lubricating the cylinders.
very helpful thank you mark

mark jam

Registered
23 Jan 2018
evesham
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Mark,
Does the motion turn freely, by hand? - That would be where I would start..

You can use a garden pump-sprayer, and may well find you can hold the plastic pipe firmly enough to a union on the loco to get motion?

I would also contact a local Model Engineering society. - Probably closed, for now, but an email / phone call may well find someone local who can offer help and advice?

Enjoy! - And tell us how you get on. We especially like pictures! :):nod:
going to try today its a good start thanks very much Mark