beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Re:new (to me), enamel paint weathering sets

When spraying in the cold (we are talking paint here), as the garage is pretty cold even with a fan heater going full tilt, I always use a warm water bath for the rattle cans. I also try to at least make sure that the item to be sprayed is at about 15ºC, even use a hairdryer on it (not too close though!)

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers

Bye the way, Ross, got very quickly by post from a supplier the Modelstrip, will deal with that later. On the side it says "NOT AVALABLE DIRECT OR BY POST" Oh yeah, well, I ain't complaning. Incidentally, re reading the instructions, well, I thought I'd better read these. Don't want anything dropping off when I'm handling this stuff, now do I?

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers

Idle chat update, took one of the red tanks, badly bloomed, also big paint lumps, shaved them off then wet and dried the thing, now have taken it into the house and resprayed it, I have plenty space upstairs to do this without choking anyone. It looks a lot better at this stage, still drying of course, doesn't seem to be any drips and of course it is drying in a decent temperature. I also noted on the instructions that the nozzle should be about 25 cm from the object. So that's what a cm. is, well, I told you before I ain't a technical person

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers

Now had a go on the "bad" wagon with Modelstrip which I regret to say has only met with limited success. The gue only partly penetrated the outer coating which it the primer, hardly got through to my original painted coat. Half of the wrinkles still there. I had thought the Modelstrip would have hardened and would flake off, but it seemed to be much the same as it was as when I applied it. The term "plastic bag" is a bit vague, maybe I should have used a heavier duty bag. I've washed the stuff off, the tank is now drying, so I'll have another go, maybe use a Sainsbury's plastic bag

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

ROSS said:
An ordinary thin plastic bag is ok as long as it is sealed and placed in a WARM place such as an airing cupboard. You have to plaster the Modelstrip on, otherwise it will not work properly. Some paints - a lot of strippers will not shift . . . it all depends whether you used car paint or model paint. If all else fails use (sparingly) brake fluid and watch the plastic does not melt.

(Going back to the original problem. The first paint coat and the second..were they the same types of paint? as mixing types of paint can cause problems.)

Mel??
Agree with all that Ross. I'd recommend that, whichever make of paint you go for, choose the same make of primer and top coat. That should guarantee compatibility. Also, we all like a bargain, but sometimes it's a false economy if you end up spending a fortune having to strip it all off. That's why I tend to stick to either Halfords, or occasionally, Plasticoat. No point in spoiling the ship for a hey'puth of tar.

Wearing my health & safety hat, brake fluid does work, but if you do give it a go Cyril, for goodness sakes WEAR GLOVES!! ............................................. Oh, and put your pipe out. :clap::clap:

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers

OK I'm copying this chaps, first of all no the paint then the primer came from completely different sources, so there is a pretty formidable coating there. I think I can get the can reasonably clear of wrinkles by doing a second generous coating of Modelstrip so I'll have another go now and see what transpires. I'm inclined also to think that there is enough primer left on the surface to miss out another coating, my feeling being that the less spray coatings I put on the thing the less likely I am to have bubbles etc. I will end up with a short rake of four HLW cans, the first three of which I am quite happy about, so this last one will usually be sucking the hind tit, if you'll pardon the expression. I am awaiting decals from parkes to personalise this and finish the job off. After your remarks re brake fluid I think I'll give that a miss

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers

Right, it has taken me 10 days to get this more os less sorted out. Let's go back a bit. This was all a plot to tart up a couple of HLW oilcans, personalise them a bit.
66d8c356adc44ddcab27df499ad074ac.jpg

I started off with just this pair, but I acquired two more. After all the problems noted regarding spraying poutside in cold weather, I took the job indoors. Here are two I did outside and you can see what a mess one of them is
1e15a8e8b1fc453faaaab5dee4a84cfb.jpg

It was resprayed, now a lot better and the third yellow one has been added
addbd478a42a41168b2b2bdfdbddf76e.jpg

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers

The fourth green one has now been added, and this is the one referred to earlier which had to be stripped and re-done, and I'm afraid that that shows up somewhat on close inspection
301b66fc45814c51916648fc6fce7858.jpg

Now I had to think about decals. Not being confident enough to do my own, I went to a professional, and I am very pleased with the results. I will return to this person for other projects in the pipeline, and I will be more adventurous
4c5637506c87468eaabd8ceae9397a56.jpg

I think I made a mistake in the design of the number panels. Black on white does not mseem to be a good idea and I should have been a bit more elaborate in the panel design, I think, maybe rounded the corners
17300de46cf94d9db6030392edcc1e78.jpg

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers

The first two of the wagons, still in the works, now finished, and finally, the set is put into service. OK, it's all far from perfect, but it's a learning curve, gives me confidence to do other simialr things, thanks for all the advice chaps
8e5f3160824746dfa442c44ff55f6b60.jpg

4302570dd1774e179f2fac4e694d9490.jpg