new (to me), enamel paint weathering sets

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi The Military magazine ;Miltary in Scale ) Jan 2012 issue has an article on some new weathering paints that are enamel and as such will dry to a harder finish that some of the acrylics. Here is alink to the magazine

http://www.militaryinscale.com/ , which shows, in a small picture, the article. A better idea might be the WHS library!

The stuff used is at the following (UK) link

http://www.db-military-models.co.uk/index.php?cat=Weathering_sets

Not cheap but they may give some ideas - the magazine article is quite helpful: there are other items re them on the web as well - look under 'AK weathering'

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Ewwwww, Slimey Grime....! :D
Sounds like one of Grimley Feendish's sidekicks (now I'm showing my age...)

Great find, they sound really useful, may have to get a few for both trains and gaming models.

Jon.

Sean C

Registered
7 Nov 2011
Best answers
Very interesting, thanks for pointing that out as I am always looking for ways of improving my weathering.

Sean Cullen
Treweek Works
Speicalist weathering service for garden railway rolling stock, rust a speciality
email: claude2cv@yahoo.com

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
Re:new (to me), enamel paint weathering sets

Anybody point me in the right direction. Need a small variety of spray paint colours for outdoor wagons, smallest possible quanity, don't need much, trying to keep costs within reason, after all a six quid can for a twelve quid wagon is a bit ott. Did one by brush, not very good

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag

I have tried smaller cheaper spray cans of paint and in my opinion there is a problem with the nozels, they splatter rather than spray.
You pays your money etc

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

There is a brand called 'Montana Gold range and Black range'. They can be found in artist's materials shops. They are sold with the nozzle separately and there is a choice of nozzle type. The spray pattern is much finer than the ordinary rattle can nozzle. In fact I take the nozzle off the Montana can and use it on 'Plasticote' cans to give a better finish. Using the 'Matt' range of plasticote' with the nozzle of 'Montana' means that there is a quick spray option for red oxide, black, brown, buff and a sandy coour. The reason I use the plasticote stuff is because the Montana range is a bit pricey and there is sometimes a deal on for Plasticote at B&Q.
Of course now I am experimenting with airbrushing I should be forgetting rattle cans but they, with the Montana nozzle, are quicker for certain things and as G scale rolling stock is pretty large meaning a lot of paint is used if you are covering the whole car.
The Montana Gold range are also lower pressure cans so you have a bit more control over the result but even so I find that the nozzle used on Plasticote is okay.
You can buy the caps separately and they range from giving very narrow (down to 0.1cm) up to very wide spray. 10 caps in all.

Recommend them for anybody using a lot of spray cans but who wants to have a bit of control over the result.They are available online from:
http://www.thirdrail.co.uk/Montana-Black-400ml
http://www.londongraphics.co.uk/products/Art-Supplies/Spray-Paint/ < Link To http://www.londongraphics...-Supplies/Spray-Paint/

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Cyril, my advice would be not to scrimp on paint - it's IMPORTANT.

Best consistent results for me come from Halfords plastic primer. Grey or red are both really good colours for wagons. Easy to use, always turns out matt, if you don't like it you can paint over the top of it - it is primer after all.

When you work out how many wagons you can do with one aerosol, it's good value for money too.

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

I never realised that there were different nozzle types for rattle can paints, I shall probably try some of those.
What an odd site though (Thirdrail), spray paints, magazines, clothing and other stuff. The oddest though is their can silencer. How does it work especially as they advise you to shake the can BEFORE fitting the silencer...and it's not April Fools Day?!

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

ROSS said:
That Montana range price seems not too bad for 600ml considering Halford prices for their 600ml primer. Might give it a whirl. There seems to be quite a few new paints for weathering turning up lately albeit small containers.

Hi Ross and Keith
They are set up for street artists. I spoke to the guy today and he sounded a little...mmmm disjointed..know what I mean?? X(
I think that the 600ml range is only available in a few colours as compared with the 400ml cans. The Gold range have even more colours.
The 'Black' range come with a 'normal' nozzle cap so it would be best to get a couple of the less wide jobbies.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag

Thanks for sharing that info with us Mike and for the links, I will give some of those paints a try

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

yb281 said:
Cyril, my advice would be not to scrimp on paint - it's IMPORTANT.

Best consistent results for me come from Halfords plastic primer. Grey or red are both really good colours for wagons. Easy to use, always turns out matt, if you don't like it you can paint over the top of it - it is primer after all.

When you work out how many wagons you can do with one aerosol, it's good value for money too.

Are you calling me tight, Mel?.......... mmmmm....you're right!
The Plasticote cans (red oxide grey primer, black, brown etc), when on offer, can be cheap but the paint is good (probably make the Halfords ones anyway). The Montana cans are even better value now I have found them online...my local art store will no longer be seeing by hard earned...and they are very good quality......German kit

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag

ROSS said:
He sells Plastikote at £3.50
That is a good price. If they have the usual suspect colours, that is definitely a good source.

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers

OK got the spray paint but I have a wee problem. Four of the HLW oilcans to be done, snag is I hand painted one of them some time back and when I sprayed the primer on that one the paint has gone sort of wrinkly. The others seem to be coming along not too badly, by my standards anyway. I think what I need to do with the wrinkly one is strip off the primer and paint and start from scratch. OK, what do I use for stripping the paint off?

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers

Now to get back to this spraying of my oilcans, I've done one, yellow, it seems to be a matt finish, I'm not worried, I've also done a couple of reds. They're out in the garage, but they seem to have a sort of a bloom on them, is this because it is too cold out there. It's not freezing, but it is cold enough for me to have dropped a couple of clangers. Cold, damp? The yellow one looks OK, maybe I don't notice the bloom on it. They might look OK by tomorrow

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

Glengrant said:
Now to get back to this spraying of my oilcans, I've done one, yellow, it seems to be a matt finish, I'm not worried, I've also done a couple of reds. They're out in the garage, but they seem to have a sort of a bloom on them, is this because it is too cold out there. It's not freezing, but it is cold enough for me to have dropped a couple of clangers. Cold, damp? The yellow one looks OK, maybe I don't notice the bloom on it. They might look OK by tomorrow
It's certainly not the ideal temperature for spray painting Cyril. Did you warm the paint up first?

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers

Hi Cyril,

That 'bloom' sounds just like the results of cold - its the weather.

Have a look at the following link, and scroll down - it has an explanation of what happens.

http://www.mig-welding.co.uk/paint-faults.htm

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag

Must admit I wouldn't consider spraying in my garage at the moment, and cannot do it indoors so stuff will have to wait until the warmer spring weather. If the temperature isn't warm enough you'll get all sorts of blooms and bad finishes, and just waste time and paint.

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers

ntpntpntp said:
Must admit I wouldn't consider spraying in my garage at the moment, and cannot do it indoors so stuff will have to wait until the warmer spring weather. If the temperature isn't warm enough you'll get all sorts of blooms and bad finishes, and just waste time and paint.
I agree Nick. I'm taking some stuff to exhibit at Solihull tomorrow and some of it has been modified recently and could do with a quick waft with the airbrush, but it'll have to wait for warmer weather.

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers

OK some useful advice there. That link Peter was especially useful, I'll copy that and put it somewhere safe. I was just in too much of a hurry, let's wait until it gets warmer, thanks all of you

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers

Right the situation is that I have four oilcans to be done, one is sprayed yellow and has been accepted by the CEO. Two red ones hanging out in the garage are very badly "bloomed" and will have to be redone, they also have paint bubbles so that also has to be smoothed over. The fourth one is the one I hand painted and has to be stripped, just awaiting delivery of the stripper. The next spray job will be postponed until we get warmer weather. I should have read the instructions, of course. "Optimum operating range 10C-25C". You live and learn. Any other ammatures out there wanting to rush the job, just like me? Think on, lad