New Playmobil Acquisition

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
When I hand the same Playmobil loco, I used some 2 sets of high capacity AA batteries,

As for changing the radio control, there’s not much to gain, apartment from less chance of intereference, and increased range,

If it’s working fine for you then, keep,it simple and just use it!

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Jimmy,
2.4-14.4 volt (2-12 cell) model, with 2.1mm charge-plug.
£22.00 all-in..

PM me if interested..
PhilP.

PhilP not sure I understand, is this batteries and charger, just batteries, or just charger; I am okay with 2.4 - 14.4 volts, is this a chager that take 2 - 12 batteries, are these AA batteries as the battery holder will only take AA batteries. Sorry I seem a little dense here.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
When I hand the same Playmobil loco, I used some 2 sets of high capacity AA batteries,

As for changing the radio control, there’s not much to gain, apartment from less chance of intereference, and increased range,

If it’s working fine for you then, keep,it simple and just use it!

Dan
Dan, my very thoughts one on and one in the wash (well on charge).

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
Well the new recruit arrive this morning (many thanks Mike), bright and early, and wished to make a start on his TRAINing:

IMG_0286 (2).JPG

He has made a point of wanting to get out a see a little of the local points of interest - we will see.

Reactions: 3 users

-bbbb

Registered
21 Dec 2017
Idaho
Best answers
Country flag
This will show you what the driver that originally came with it looks like:

PlaymoDB Set Inventory - 4010

If you can't find a train driver hat, you can probably use an airplane pilots hat, or maybe even some sort of police hat could be converted and placed on a random figure in a uniform or vest.

Beware of generic nihm's with high MAH ratings; The ratings are often not accurate with generic batteries. My 4 year old 1500 mah energizers run longer than generic new 3600 mah batteries.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
PhilP not sure I understand, is this batteries and charger, just batteries, or just charger; I am okay with 2.4 - 14.4 volts, is this a chager that take 2 - 12 batteries, are these AA batteries as the battery holder will only take AA batteries. Sorry I seem a little dense here.
Ah, OK.

The charger will charge any battery pack - or rack of batteries that in total have a voltage between 2.v4 and 14.4v (remembering that a single Ni-Mh cell is 1.2v) of any cell size - AAA, AA, Sub-C, PP3 etc. It will only charge a pack (or a single PP3) and is suited to Ni-Mh.

Not sure what the Playmobil set up is, but if the batteries can be charged as a group in situ, then this is a good charger to use.

If you have to take the batteries out and put them separately into a charger, then that's when things can go downhill, because those chargers are generally not intelligent, and won't stop belting the current in when the battery has had enough.

Using an intelligent charger, you can get quite a good life out of Ni-Mh, especially the better LSD ones - nothing exciting, just Low Self Discharge.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
If you have to take the batteries out and put them separately into a charger, then that's when things can go downhill, because those chargers are generally not intelligent, and won't stop belting the current in when the battery has had enough.

Using an intelligent charger, you can get quite a good life out of Ni-Mh, especially the better LSD ones - nothing exciting, just Low Self Discharge.
The first point is very interesting and perhaps the reason why so many of my bought NiMH's used in controllers have gotten trashed but those in my Locomotives for Power are ok after many years because I use a Smart Charger for them. So perhaps I should make a connection to a 8 Pack Holder for my Smart Charger and charge those other batteries that way?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
So perhaps I should make a connection to a 8 Pack Holder for my Smart Charger and charge those other batteries that way?

It certainly will not do any harm..

Alternatively, upgrade your 'cell' charger to something with a brain?? - These will usually charge one of two pairs of cells at a time.

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
I have my 2300 mAh NiMH batteries (2 sets) and used "in anger" yesterday when the Grandkids were here (converts to trains by the enthusiasm seen), with the old nicad the batteries needed to be discharged to prevent the "memory" issue, so my questions are:
  1. Do NiMH need to be discharger before charging.
  2. or is it just preferable to discharge.
  3. Would a small discharge device i.e. battery holder and lamp be suitable.
  4. After discharge how long can they be left discharge before having a detrimental effect.
  5. If unused how long will the hold there charge,
  6. and will the need a trickle charge or complete cycle.

Many thanks.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
This depends on the actual NiMH cells you are using, to some extent..
My two-penneth:

Do NiMH need to be discharger before charging.

No, they do not suffer from 'memory effect' like NiCd's..

or is it just preferable to discharge.

Discharge / charge cycling will maximise the life of the cells, but needs to be done properly.. Not discharged too far, and not left 'cooking' when charging..

Would a small discharge device i.e. battery holder and lamp be suitable.

Preferbaly, you need something a little more 'intelligent'. - Though you could discharge this way for a set time, or to a set potential acroos the cell(s)..

After discharge how long can they be left discharge before having a detrimental effect.

I would always store cells with a charge. - I have only had problems with cells stored discharged, or neglected for some considerable time. - Though NOT NiMH Low Self-Discharge cells, which I tend to use these days..

If unused how long will the hold there charge,

'How long is a piece of string'? - This depends if they are completely isolated, or there is a small discharge path.. LSD batteries should have 80% capacity after a year..

and will the need a trickle charge or complete cycle.

Personally, if less than around six months, I just use them.. If I know they will be getting a whole day's use, or have been left longer than that, then I would tend to cycle them with an intelligent charger..

The above represents how I treat LSD NiMH batteries..
Works for me, others may tell you differently.. ;)

Reactions: 1 users

JimmyB

23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
Best answers
Country flag
This depends on the actual NiMH cells you are using, to some extent..
My two-penneth:

;)
Phil, I think your two-pennyeth is very worthwhile, and will provide me the information hopefully for longevity of the batteries.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks for all the battery advice 2300/2500 NiMH it is.
Jon, interesting thought, but as yet not quite up to replacement of the RC system.
I have several sets of NiMH batteries, some for loco propulsion and others for r/c servo drive on steamers, and they have one characteristic you need to be aware of - they slowly discharge if left unattended, and fully discharged NiMH cells cannot be recharged - they are goners. I move between FL and MD twice a year, so I keep them in a cigar box and charge them every couple of months as my locos don't all get run as often as I would like. Philip's "low discharge" types sound promising, but I have never seen them over this side of the pond.

I strongly recommend doing a google search for NiMH battery characteristics. All battery types have different quirks and you need to be aware of them.

Li-ion are a who different kettle of fish, so read up on them before you start playing with them.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I have several sets of NiMH batteries, some for loco propulsion and others for r/c servo drive on steamers, and they have one characteristic you need to be aware of - they slowly discharge if left unattended, and fully discharged NiMH cells cannot be recharged - they are goners. I move between FL and MD twice a year, so I keep them in a cigar box and charge them every couple of months as my locos don't all get run as often as I would like. Philip's "low discharge" types sound promising, but I have never seen them over this side of the pond.

I strongly recommend doing a google search for NiMH battery characteristics. All battery types have different quirks and you need to be aware of them.

Li-ion are a who different kettle of fish, so read up on them before you start playing with them.
Yep, the newer NiMh cells are LSD (Low Self Discharge) as they have, at last, overcome the problem of self discharging - but you're right, totally discharged cells, once they get of a certain age, are gonners :nod::nod::nod::nod: