New number version of Saxon VIk....?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone happen to know if there are any actual differences (and if so, what) between the original release of the LGB Saxon VIk as number 99-653 (LGB20480) and the new ("2018 special edition") version as 99-685 (LGB20482) - other than, of course, the obvious change of running number?

Jon.

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Jon,

One of the differences on the new green and black ones is that they have two headlamps halfway up the sides of the smokebox instead of one headlamp on the top of the smokebox of the first release.

The new black one (99 685 according to Depesche) infers that the model comes with a new boiler and a new water and coal box.

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Jon,

One of the differences on the new green and black ones is that they have two headlamps halfway up the sides of the smokebox instead of one headlamp on the top of the smokebox of the first release.

The new black one (99 685 according to Depesche) infers that the model comes with a new boiler and a new water and coal box.

Thanks Keith! Having looked at some pics that I found after posting the query, yes, I noticed the headlamp differences on the 99-685 - and also it looks to have a few more bits of "gubbins" on top of the boiler than the original 99-653.....

Probably not enough of a difference to tempt me into buying a second black one, though! ;)

Jon.

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Keith! Having looked at some pics that I found after posting the query, yes, I noticed the headlamp differences on the 99-685 - and also it looks to have a few more bits of "gubbins" on top of the boiler than the original 99-653.....

Probably not enough of a difference to tempt me into buying a second black one, though! ;)

Jon.
I have both Locos in my collection and apart from the lights and the etched plates on 685 I find it hard to detect much else that is different but on my return from foreign climes I will give them both a hard stare and report my findings. Apparently the new one 212 will be green so that should make it a bit more obvious. One thing about them is they are lovely runners and the sound unit is perhaps the best yet from Maerklin/LGB.

Meiningen8 aka D Miller

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Hello

As promised I have now placed on the bench and looked stared and peered at 20480 and 20482 in an effort to spot the differences. So without further ado here are the results of the panel (me and SWMBO) 20480 has three lights front and rear and printed No plates 20482 has two lights front and rear and etched metal plates. Thats all we can see both with and without our glasses.
Two profile images exist on the modellbahnshop.lippe website one of 20480 the other of 20482 these show a different arrangement of the fittings atop the boilers of the models but my reality shows only one arrangement. I wish I could upload some pics but I do not do much in the way of techey things SORRY

yours meiningen8 aka D Miller

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the update - odd that the catalogue pics should show several differences that don't actually appear on the models.....

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the update - odd that the catalogue pics should show several differences that don't actually appear on the models.....

Jon.

Think I'd be a bit miffed about that! :(:nod:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Think I'd be a bit miffed about that! :(:nod:

Yes, I certainly would be.... glad I haven't bought one of the new ones!
Am thinking about the green one when it appears, though.....

Jon.

meiningen8

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Glad to have been of help. I am certainly not miffed by a lack detail differences I just like to watch those 10 wheels rotating as they pull the 8.15 through the twists and turns of my line. While my mind wanders back to holidays in the Dresden Region where I had opportunity to travel behind a V1k.

meiningen8

Reactions: 1 users