Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Traveliner ,

Link to shops http://www.gscalecentral.co.uk/suppliers

You will find all the help on here you could possible require :D

9a318de94c9e4c5e909df78b705c8c8e.jpg

But they are all mad :rofl:

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I would plan for what you want to do first? Even plan to do one stage first before another.

For example, you may eventually want a double tracked layout, but it might be best to go for single track and allow for expansion later.

Others here have fixed the track to blocks, so I will let them comment on this method, as it is not one I have used.

Building your own track is an interesting challenge, but probably time consuming, especially point work. If you buy the rail and fix it to your own sleepers, you may find it was just as cheap to buy ready made flexi track with UVA/UVB stable plastic sleepers. If you do go for fixing track to blocks and conventional flexi track, then maybe you should consider the track made by Tenmille, http://www.tenmille.com/ < Link To www.tenmille.com here in Suffolk.

My other advice would be to visit other garden railways and G scalers, and pick their brains for useful techniques, before you start building....

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
Hi Andy,

welcome aboard!

You will find one thing: thinking, meaning and thoughts on GardenRR are as subjective as can be, and everyone does -in the end- what he likes to do.
Beside that things, there ARE some general rules, which on one might be to a retired person with health problems:
Think about the RR laying DOWN to the ground or making a layout that can be reached while standing comfortable. Man! I am 41 an have a bit of a "bally" silhouette, and i often thought of why that thing has to be so damn deep under my working level..... :)

Cheapest track isnt the best, the most expensive solutions arent, too.
My track-supplier has a very fine "way of the middle" with nicleplated brass rails. Stainlessis much more expensive and hard to work with, clear brass is going to be oxidated the whole time ( i have RC-Accu-Operation, i dont care about contact problems).
But give yourself a bit of time, looking and searching in this forum.

I found people here making very nice layouts with the cheapest toytrack. An open eye, an open mind and some fine lubricated mechanics in your brain and the ideas will flow!

Greetings

Frank

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Hi Andy and welcome. You say that you are going for "a large system", but I would add a slight note of caution. Can I suggest that you read this excellent thread;

http://www.gscalecentral.net/m66945... as a fruitcake :confused::confused::thumbup:

nico

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Ireland
nslrailroad.webs.com
Best answers
Welcome,If your thinking of a large layout you should consider flexi track,i used AMS on my layout and found it reasonably priced,

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
welcome. my layout has been in use for 1yr. (they're never "complete") you'll find. however make sure you allow for railway like bends and transitions into the bends if you can- i am a few days a way from ripping mine up for a rebuild because of this...

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Hi Andy welcome to our mad little world! The best piece of advice has already been stated. post your location and you will get people in your area inviting you to have a look at what they have done already. There is no better way to decide what you want or need than by looking at projects on the go! My piece of advice is get it off the ground if you have any problems getting down on your knee's coz you will be spending a lot of time down there!!