New Fencing at reasonable price

davecar

Registered
23 Jun 2010
Liverpool
Best answers
IMG_3140.JPG IMG_3145.JPG IMG_3141.JPG I have just completed an additional steaming area at Childwall Railway at the bottom end of my track, near to my house. I decided to add some fencing along the siding and also around the curve and across my waterfall.

The first photo shows what I used. It is called a Gabion panel which I bought from B and Q. I had never heard of this word before but I had seen many Gabions in use. It is a cage full of rocks, used in landscaping. The panels are sold in various sizes to make up the cage for the rocks. The panels I bought measured 1200mm x 300mm. I cut the panel quite easily with my electric whizzer. From this panel I got three lengths of "fencing". The cost of this panel was only £6.64 so it worked out at only just over £2.20 per 1200mm length.

I had to add a piece of timber to my log roll in order to get sufficient clearance for rolling stock. In fitting the fence I only used every forth post. I cut the other posts slightly smaller. In fitting the fence I drilled a hole in the timber and then hammered the fence in. Using every forth post made it much easier. When joining the fence I used a small plastic tie. The fencing is quite robust and of course the metal is galvanised so hopefully will not rust. I initially had thoughts about painting the fence but have decided against it. I think also it looks quite realistic.

Thought I would pass on this idea.

Kind regards,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 8 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I think that looks very effective, Dave - practical AND realistic!

Jon.

davecar

Registered
23 Jun 2010
Liverpool
Best answers
IMG_3144.JPG IMG_3142.JPG IMG_3143.JPG More pics.
I have just completed an additional steaming area at Childwall Railway at the bottom end of my track, near to my house. I decided to add some fencing along the siding and also around the curve and across my waterfall.

The first photo shows what I used. It is called a Gabion panel which I bought from B and Q. I had never heard of this word before but I had seen many Gabions in use. It is a cage full of rocks, used in landscaping. The panels are sold in various sizes to make up the cage for the rocks. The panels I bought measured 1200mm x 300mm. I cut the panel quite easily with my electric whizzer. From this panel I got three lengths of "fencing". The cost of this panel was only £6.64 so it worked out at only just over £2.20 per 1200mm length.

I had to add a piece of timber to my log roll in order to get sufficient clearance for rolling stock. In fitting the fence I only used every forth post. I cut the other posts slightly smaller. In fitting the fence I drilled a hole in the timber and then hammered the fence in. Using every forth post made it much easier. When joining the fence I used a small plastic tie. The fencing is quite robust and of course the metal is galvanised so hopefully will not rust. I initially had thoughts about painting the fence but have decided against it. I think also it looks quite realistic.

Thought I would pass on this idea.

Kind regards,

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 2 users

pugwash

impecunious pirate
Staff member
GSC Moderator
17 Nov 2009
Luxembourg
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent idea and work, and I think you are right to leave it unpainted. :clap:

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
DSCF2215 (Small).JPG

Reactions: 5 users

simon@mgr

Aviation, model engineering & all things technical
25 Oct 2009
Gold Coast, QLD, The Land Downunder
Best answers
Country flag
Gives a professional appearance.

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent. Thanks for sharing this. I was just doing a search for some bridge edging inspiration. This is perfect :)

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
As this is an old thread (before I started in G Gauge), I had not seen it, and I agree it looks the part. Does anybody know the wire gauge, and mesh spacing.

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
From what I've read, the holes in Gabian mesh panels tend to be about 3"x3" (76mmx76mm) and it uses 3mm / 10SWG wire

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Put a LGB driver figure in your pocket, then go and visit any of the big DIY 'Sheds'..

They will all have galvanised mesh panels, in various sizes. - Both panel, and 'hole-size'.. - Personally, I think those which are rectangular, look better than square?

PhilP.

<edit>
If you have not got any: Get a decent pair of big tin-snips, or (better) small bolt-croppers. - So much easier on your fingers!

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
The new builds on the edge of our property had gabian walls put in beneath their gardens to aid drainage. I wonder if I could use the bolt cutters on them to obtain some fencing, without letting any of the rocks out... :giggle: :p