New engine in the shops for overhaul

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
Picked up an older Accucraft C16 that had seen better days, had what appeared to be timing issues and massive blowby in both cylinders. She has slide valve cylinders and inside Walschearts valve gear. Timing was way off on the engineer(starboard) cylinder. That was an easy fix, I pulled both cylinder heads and took the pistons out, both O rings had perished being rock hard and flat. New O rings were installed and she was reassembled. By 3am she ran on air, nice and smooth in both directions. Off to bed I went. Today I have degreased the chassis, and will proceeded to redo the broken rear boiler mount in the cab and get the engine reassembled. Old 268 might run on steam yet this weekend.

Attachments

• C161.jpg
    C161.jpg
    386.4 KB · Views: 0
  • C16.jpg
    C16.jpg
    456.9 KB · Views: 0

artfull dodger

Registered
12 Apr 2012
Kokomo, Indiana USA
Best answers
Country flag
She is now a runner! New piston head O rings from Roundhouse, resealed the cylinder heads with "black magic ultra" RTV, replaced broken sight glass with a price of brass tube for temporary purposes so I could run her. Next up is working head and class lights, along with RC, which it once had for a previous owner.

Reactions: 1 user

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Looks a winner and another well-crafted video for us to enjoy.

steamhostler

Indoors SM32 Live Steam modeling in the USA
31 Dec 2021
Colorado Springs, CO
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Nice work! Don't you mean inside Stephenson valve gear?
I had heard that these C-16 locos quickly wore out the side rods because of no bushings, see any wear on yours?

Took the Brewery Complex off from your layout? Track seems a bit naked...
Do you just steam up on the Main Line, OR do you have a dedicated steam up track?
I'm trying to figure out how to set up my indoors track...