New empire builder

Blackreed

Dan Black
14 Aug 2019
Pennsylvania
Best answers
Hello all.
I hope that today is the best day of your life.
I love to build models, I’m not sure what my favorite scale actually is, I’ve been submerged in 1/20 to 1/25th scales since my arms got to short for my eyesight. Of course it doesn’t end there, it just gets bigger.
My first train car build was in 1/50th scale, San Juan Car Company.
I am hoping to be able to show you the train cars I have built, and the ones I am building.
I have had a great deal of trouble figuring out what g-scale actually means, especially when thumbing through the online auction sights, I’ve began thinking no one knows especially when I look at my pile of junk (Christmas tree circling items) that I hope falls into something some day.
I did go through several sights not related to cars and airplanes, that fall into this size, I was saddened by the amount of unanswered questions on these sights, and impressed by how many on this sight that fill their paint and glue drying times by answering and commenting on everyone’s questions and stuff. (I wanted to say stupid questions, as I sit here looking at a pile of kadee couplers that I hope I use some day, because I had no idea of what I was doing when I just ordered 1 of everything.)
My paint is dry, so I hope to shower you all with silly stuff from my workbench.
Have a great day.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Oh dear here we go again. My definition of "G" scale - If it runs happily on LGB and compatible code 332 45 mm gauged track systems then it can be classed as "G". Not so much a scale more a classification of track system compatibility. Anything from 1:13 - 1:32 scales inclusive. What you run could be based on a prototypical subject, or it could be an imaginary freelance one

Then again........................................ Max

Last edited:

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Ooops double posted meeself. Max

But while I'm at it I might as well not waste the space entirely, as you can't totally delete a post here. So, intended in a slightly tongue in cheek manner -

What might be termed "G Scale" -

European narrow gauge (NG) subjects usually made to 1:22.5 and standard gauge (SG) to 1:26 & 1:32.
US SG that can be 1:29 &1:32 but some older stuff can even be 1:24.
US NG that is sometimes 1:20.3 (AKA Fn3) but then again 1:22.5 or 1:24 is commonly used too. At least one US/Chinese manufacturer even uses all 3 of these scales for their NG representations, some subjects reputedly based on SG prototypes.

UK NG is usually made to 16 mm to the foot scale representations but some are 15 mm (1:20.3/Fn3) some of us also go for 7/8ths" to the foot as a scale. We like to mix metric and imperial scale definitions in the UK just to confuse the rest of the world. If its a freelance subject, rather than prototypical, its classed as "G". All subject to the terms listed previously. If the exact same model can run on 32 mm track gauge too then it isn't "G" - it's SM32 ! Whether a prototypical subject or not.

And don't believe anything they say about the scale of buildings and lineside structures.

Those casually listing items for sale in places such as Ebay will use "G" scale as a generic definition to encompass all the above listed combinations............except perhaps 1:32 scale - That's G1, nothing to do with "G" scale and a very definite scale representation and set of conventions worldwide covering "finescale" subjects of SG actual real life prototypes. Fn3 fits that bill too, as a set of correct scale representation standards for 3ft NG.

And we have not got round to some manufacturers' "rubber" rulers when scaling, LGB and Piko are notorious for this. And never mind Thomas the Tank Engine or Playmobil, really, never mind. But the important bit is that it will all run on 45 mm gauged code 332 (or some say even code 250 or possibly 200) rail based track systems. It's a minefield. Just enjoy and welcome to the forum :) Max

Updated and expanded for a bit of fun.

Last edited:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to GSC! As Max has said above, there are endless discussions about what exactly "G" is, but I basically agree with his answer - if it looks right running on 45mm track, then it passes as "G" in my opinion. :)

Most on here also know that the only stupid question is the one you don't ask - so ask away, you'll usually get a few sensible answers before we thread-drift it into outright silliness..... :D

Above all - do your own thing, and have fun doing it (and post some pictures if you can)!

Jon.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Good Day Blacked. I don't believe I have seen you here. I see you are a fellow Pennsylvanian. As Maxi-model has so accurately pointed out, G scale is a bit like the twilight zone. If you consider LGB to be the "original" G scale trains, that would mean that narrow gauge trains are true G scale. Like Lionel, LGB used the rubber ruler.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum.
G Scale - if it's in the Garden, it's G! Although most folk will possibly disagree with that if someone is running N gauge out there!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the Forum.
G Scale - if it's in the Garden, it's G! Although most folk will possibly disagree with that if someone is running N gauge out there!

.... or those running gauges like 5" or 7.5".... :D

Jon.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I see that no matter how much I fight with the spell checker, I lose. Se my post #5 above. I tried and tried to get his name correct, but alas, twas no to be.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome Blackreed. Most of us have a sense of humour (it's the only sense I've got these days!) and there is (nearly) always an answer to questions. And, as Jon says, pictures are also very welcome.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I see that no matter how much I fight with the spell checker, I lose. Se my post #5 above. I tried and tried to get his name correct, but alas, twas no to be.
It's Predictive Text that causes the problem rather than the spell checker.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Blackreed welcome to the forum, has mentioned a sense of humour is almost obligatory.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
It's Predictive Text that causes the problem rather than the spell checker.

Ah, a new term enters my world. I'll have to look that one up. I just did.

"Predictive text is an input technology that facilitates typing on a mobile device by suggesting words the end user may wish to insert in a textfield. Predictions are based on the context of other words in the message and the first letters typed."

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Ah, a new term enters my world. I'll have to look that one up. I just did.

"Predictive text is an input technology that facilitates typing on a mobile device by suggesting words the end user may wish to insert in a textfield. Predictions are based on the context of other words in the message and the first letters typed."

As we have all fanned, Productive Taxed can be a right bliddy pane in the urse..... ;)

I usually find that the time it "saves" while typing is mostly wasted by having to go back and carefully read everything again before posting it, to make sure it's not changed anything that it shouldn't have done.

Jon.