New Dora Owner needs help!

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I lied Jon :D. Most, if not all Accucraft locos use a #5 jet. Or so I was told by the nice man who does remedial work on my locos when he has routinely replaced the factory fitted jets with a better make - i.e. with more consistently sized and more reliably broached holes.

In reply to you Phil Vincent in your last post - While you will always be welcome to ask for advise here may I suggest you lean on this lot a bit - https://argyleloco.com.au/. Why ? They are Australia's main agents for Accucraft products marketed mostly outside Aus, and other makes too. They are also manufacturers/distributors in their own right under that branding of their own products. While you may not have aquired your Dora via this outlet I dare say they will view you as a "prospect/suspect" for future sales and will get their attention, as any decent retail organization should do.

Unlike a certain UK retailer I could mention - I remember when I made the decision to buy my first live steamer, a Roundhouse Lady Anne, some 15 odd years ago. When asked for advise on how to operate this very expensive new toy they just palmed me off with a cheery," oh you'll get the hang of it don't worry". Hmm, 6 months later I had still not steamed it out of fear of causing it damage through my ignorance. An acquaintance at a local club line took pity on me and showed me the ropes. I never bought another live steam loco from that first retailer, howver, there have been a few more added to the roster since over the years.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
When asked for advise on how to operate this very expensive new toy they just palmed me off with a cheery," oh you'll get the hang of it don't worry".
No mention of eyebrow loss then? Just the sort of useful advice a novice needs. At least on here, we may not fully agree with each other's methods, but at least we do our best to actually help!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
20210720_143141.jpg
May be a bit late really, but doing a tidying session I found the original instructions for my Dora.it does mention what to do if the fire keeps going out or is the wrong colour. Sorry its late, but I forgot I had the leaflet

Phil_Vincent

Registered
3 Jul 2020
Sydney
Best answers
Country flag
Yes Paul I have the manual too. I did initially think that I had perhaps knocked the cover over the air holes in the cab, so tried that first. Eventually resulting in taking the whole fuel assembly apart and learning that it was the jet, which is now unblocked.

Maxi Model I have attempted to make contact with Argyle, but they are moving house and shop at the moment so they are a bit busy, hence reaching out to this forum.

Happy to have started an argument though.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting the mention of those "collars" on the orifice to the burner, easy to forget about. They have only become commonplace as a fitment in fairly recent times. My earlier locos lacked them. They seem to act a bit like a choke on a carburetor - close them up and they cause the gas/air mixture become richer. Just like a choke does on cold days for starting an IC engine. Again, that very nice man who serviced my locos one day gave me a handful of the things and told me to go fit them to all my locos. He was convinced. They do work, especially if you run in a fairly variable climate, temperature wise. But it is another thing to learn to get the hang of. Max

P.S. Re starting arguments - easily done here. Sometimes I cannot help myself :D

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
I've never needed to adjust any of mine. I'm always too worried about making things worse :rofl:

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Re water baths,,

thought that was to warm the gas tank up so as to ensure a decent gas flow to the burner
Like most things, it all depends. in a cold or hot climate the water bath can keep the gas at a constant temperature.

However, some small Accucraft locos have the gas tank in the cab near the boiler, as does Dora. The boiler can heat up the gas in the tank and eventually, when it is almost empty, the internal pressure will prevent you from refilling until it cools down, which may take an hour or more.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
However, some small Accucraft locos have the gas tank in the cab near the boiler, as does Dora. The boiler can heat up the gas in the tank and eventually, when it is almost empty, the internal pressure will prevent you from refilling until it cools down, which may take an hour or more
That's interesting, I have 3 Accucraft locos, all have their gas tanks in the cab beside the boiler, but I've never had this problem. Mind you I've always run the gas right out whilst using and obviously wait until engine has cooled before re- gasing. Worth remembering though

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
but I've never had this problem
You are also in a cooler climate, though I had this on a FWRR Ruby in sub-zero winter temps.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
That's interesting, I have 3 Accucraft locos, all have their gas tanks in the cab beside the boiler, but I've never had this problem. Mind you I've always run the gas right out whilst using and obviously wait until engine has cooled before re- gasing. Worth remembering though
It is not unknown at garden events to see guys or even gals pouring cold water over the gas tank.