New Build Somethings.

Trainman

All narrow gauge and industrial railways,
26 Oct 2009
Auckland
Best answers
Being off over Xmas I got bored and built some new wagons for a mate. He dropped off some (eight) LBG stater set flat bolster wagons and away we went. We wanted to make a works type train but with small rickety wagons. Whilst looking through the GVT rolling stock book I found this really neat looking box van and brake van. These were my first build ups. They use scribed basswood on a cardboard body with various GRS detail parts. Pretty basic but I am quite pleased how they have gone. We have decided to leave them grey (like W&LLR stock) to go with one of his steamers. Only the rooves to go on now.

Trainman

26 Oct 2009
Auckland
Best answers
The next lot are very hybrid wagons. One could be a L&B one at a very large push but is only based around the chassis to build on. The other is very loosely based on a Ffestiniog wagon from memory- or WHR. I got the drawings from the 7mm NG Society plans. Good sources if projects.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
a loverly rake off waggons, im offically jealiuse:clap:

Trainman

26 Oct 2009
Auckland
Best answers
Thanks guys. just a small pottering project whilst looking after the wife. The other thing I did was to put Bachmann 24.5mm wheels on them to lower them a bit. My one gripe is they always seem to sit too high.

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
They'll make up a nice train.

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Very nice work. You must keep large stocks of wood and card on hand (or planned ahead) to get through all that lot over the holiday period.

I've always had a soft spot for the GVT - the wagons are just that little bit larger than the 24" gauge prototypes, without needing the space of 3ft gauge stock. A nice in-between size.

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi,

Nice wagons, they look very good.

I have also used the Hartland 4 wheel kits for the same sort of thing, and they also come with LGB style couplings.

Here is a link to them, you will need some metal wheels to add some very useful weight - thwe supplied wheels are plastic.

http://www.h-l-w.com/Products/mini_series.html

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice work. Also very impressed with the speed of execution.
My Harford box car had a spurt of construction activity after christmas but is now slightly dormant again.

Well done trainman!

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Looking Good Henrick.:)

Trainman

26 Oct 2009
Auckland
Best answers
:)Thanks all. I like the GVT myself although am a dried L&B nutter. There are such a diverse range of interesting wagons built for various lines over there. I made a rake of Snailbeach hoppers last summer and they turned out really good. Tried making chassis but ended up using LBG feldbahn wagons. Still have 3 left so need a project for them- any ideas guys??.

I do try to keep a supply of the scribed basswood handy as it has so many uses. Although the planks are not exactly right I just revert to rule 8 and as long as they look right then they are right.

We have been watching the news here and thinking of everyone over there with the weather. Hopefully not too much damage has been done to layouts etc. Well life is about priorities isn't it? :):)

Trainman

26 Oct 2009
Auckland
Best answers
Well I have finally finished the last three wagons. These should keep him quiet till I get the next lot underway. These are the last of the feldbahn chassis. All have been modified with the Bachmann 24.5mm wheel sets.
02b86e6adcaf436e8a8123d359cc5b5e.jpg
afd28fc60215466d9a821854b2e5812f.jpg
f9fd06bf51f84fc5be850dba264fb563.jpg
7962943128944894afcf6a85bfad7793.jpg
Now we are into the big stuff- a W&LLR four wheel box car and a interpretation of FR brake third bogie coach nr 10. Anyway till then.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Waldgrun

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Yr Ystog Powys
Best answers
Trainman,

I trust your Snailbeach hopppers looked like this one! Picture taken in the shed at Snailbeach where this restored item is housed.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Trainman

26 Oct 2009
Auckland
Best answers
Mine are very similar. Mine were sold to the Southern Railways Region as part of a stock re-evaluation (see Rule 8) and lettered appropriately. They ran on various SR 2' gauge lines for a re ballasting programe. Very sucesfully I might say too. 8|:impatient::D

I built my own chassis only to fine they fitted directly onto LBG feldbahn wagons. I used them and have used the home builds for another project - some Australian cane wagons from Woodford (after a visit there recently).