New Accucraft IOM "Pairs" Bogie Coaches

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
I got chance to run the new IOM pairs bogie coaches at the weekend at a steam up in Leeds, thanks to Bradypus for this pic.

Ok, well, the Roundhouse lady Anne is 1:19, the pairs are 1:20.3 and for reasons best known to him Bradypus's scratch built M wagons are 1:19... Still I reckon it all mixes and matches quite well.

I ran the stock on a layout with 2'6" (R2) curves, including reverse curves through crossovers, no problems. If anyone ever attempts these coaches on R1 curves I would be interested to hear how they got on.

Happy steamings,

John

ff8126e8ff7e44f288ed7df2767950e8.jpg

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hope you don't mind John, I edited your post to include the full-sized piccy in the posting rather than on the image bar.

They do look rather good.

cheers

Gareth

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
3Valve said:
Hope you don't mind John, I edited your post to include the full-sized piccy in the posting rather than on the image bar.

They do look rather good.

. . . . and the Lady Anne is a delight to the eye.
Everything about it is "just right".
Pity I am not into steamers - too lazy to mess with them I suppose. 8|

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
Thanks, yes I really like the pairs. I have a few more plans for "Annie" , as she was my first loco and named after SHMBO I can't really sell her as "not part of my IOM collection". So I am using the excuse that Sheard may have acquired something like this when trying to find extra motive power .....

The lining job is be Geoff Munday (also blacked the tank tops and re-did all Black surfaces in a more dull finish than the Roundhouse gloss) Hunslet style cranks were from DJB I think, I intend to upgrade the radio to 2.4 GHz and fit chopper couplings at IMR height. Then maybe some fire irons and the odd lamp should just about do it, oh yes, nearly forgot need to get a chuff pipe.

Happy steamings,

John

DavidLJ

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Fraggle Rock aka Isle of Man
Best answers
Oh oh - a man at the door.... with a pair of 'Pair's. Just like Xmas again IoMR carriage style.

Thanks as ever John for the personal 5 star delivery. You should always shop local if you can especially when they are brought to your door.

The models are excellent as expected. Almost display case models. I got F54 111/33G and a 333/333 which I have numbered F63 with the various waterslide transfer numbers supplied.

They are long models, and my only gripe, and its only a very minor gripe and I totally under stand the reason why, is the large space between the carriages when coupled together. The reason is that they have to go around not to scale model railway curves. Apart from that very happy with them.

Superb models *****
smiley.gif
Well done Accucraft again - we look forward to future releases.

David

Sea Lion

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Isle of Man
Best answers
DavidLJ said:
They are long models, and my only gripe, and its only a very minor gripe and I totally under stand the reason why, is the large space between the carriages when coupled together. The reason is that they have to go around not to scale model railway curves. Apart from that very happy with them.

Superb models *****
smiley.gif
Well done Accucraft again - we look forward to future releases.

David

Yes David is quite right, with the couplers on drawbars from the bogies the coaches will run round R2 (2'6" radius curves), not sure if anyone has attempted R1 yet! (Please do tell if you have....) For anyone with really large curves it would be quite simple to mount the couplers on the headstocks and thus get a smaller gap between the coaches, but no, without experimentation I have no idea what radius would be required to do this.

I suppose at this stage someone should go off and do the research as to what was the minimum radius on the IMR, perhaps we could then borrow a field and build a railway with scale curves in it :thinking:

Happy steamings,

John

Clive Elesmore

Registered
17 Dec 2009
Guernsey, Channel Islands
Best answers
Hello John

I must say they do look very good coaches. I guess this means you will be getting another email from me. Lets have some more pictures.

Clive

DavidLJ

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Fraggle Rock aka Isle of Man
Best answers
No doubt something like four chains, a bushel and 2/3 of a peck.
I'd be amazed if Mr L-J did not know.

RLGSS Member

Well, I seen it written down somewhere, probably in Boyd's mega three volume history. But I got a feeling it is 4 chains and some daft measurement !

Curlew

Registered
2 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Yes, these are great coaches and they run beautifully.
Here are some pics taken at Abercanyon today.

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
...off to Faversham tomorrow....monthly dose of retail therapy....and collect a couple of these coaches:clap:

Curlew

Registered
2 Nov 2009
North Wales
Best answers
Here is another pic.

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Help !

I sat down tonight with my pairs coaches, ready to apply the transfers. I was sort of hoping that the destructions would give me a hint. They did. "It is best to refer to photographs for the correct position of the numbers as they sometimes varied between coaches" :angry:

Clearly Accucraft have these mysterious photographs as they managed to produce beautiful models. Unfortunately I struggle to find them, especially as most of the coaches have been scrapped. Can anyone suggest where the numbers should go ?
Also,would the coaches have worn a crest or initials ? Does anyone know a suitable source ?

Dtsteam

G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent ! Thats very helpful....
Thanks