New 16mm Figures From Bachmann.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
A couple of pictures to compare the new 16mm figures with the G scale figures. The size difference is more marked in the locomotive crew.image.jpeg image.jpeg

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting difference. So, in sillymeters or imperial, what are the respective heights of jacketed crew members?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Also interesting to see that the 16mm and "G" versions appear to be completely different sculpts, suggesting that they are still traditionally-made masters (someone actually making them in greenstuff or milliput) rather than, as I had expected, being 3D computer designs simply printed out in different scales.....

Jon.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Can you imagine the programming for 3D printing?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
There's a lot of 3D printing of human figures going on, Alan, and it's getting better all the time. In my own industry, more and more manufacturers are changing to 3D design and print to produce master figures - I've been investigating it myself, though at present I'm sticking with my traditional hands-on sculptors; but I do have a sample here from a 3D print master that I have run some casting trials on, a WW2 German infantryman printed out about 28mm tall, with every crease and fold of the uniform perfectly reproduced.
It would be relatively straightforward for a good, experienced 3D artist to render figures like these, and then have them printed in any scale desired from Z to 7/8ths - all of which would be absolutely identical except for the size!

Jon.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
There are a couple of great figure sculpting programmes for the Mac Jon (other computer makes are also available).
Just create the figure (there are some ready made figure poses available) and export for a 3D printer and Bob's your carbuncle.

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting difference. So, in sillymeters or imperial, what are the respective heights of jacketed crew members?

Height of figures as follows.
Driver 3" G, 3 3/4" 16mm.
Fireman 3" G, 3 3/4" 16mm.
Porter 3 1/4" G, 3 3/4" 16mm.
Guard 3 1/4" G, 3 1/2" 16mm

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Height of figures as follows.
Driver 3" G, 3 3/4" 16mm.
Fireman 3" G, 3 3/4" 16mm.
Porter 3 1/4" G, 3 3/4" 16mm.
Guard 3 1/4" G, 3 1/2" 16mm

Thanks Paul - that's given me food for thought. I like the look of them!

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
There's a lot of 3D printing of human figures going on, Alan, and it's getting better all the time. In my own industry, more and more manufacturers are changing to 3D design and print to produce master figures - I've been investigating it myself, though at present I'm sticking with my traditional hands-on sculptors; but I do have a sample here from a 3D print master that I have run some casting trials on, a WW2 German infantryman printed out about 28mm tall, with every crease and fold of the uniform perfectly reproduced.
It would be relatively straightforward for a good, experienced 3D artist to render figures like these, and then have them printed in any scale desired from Z to 7/8ths - all of which would be absolutely identical except for the size!

Jon.
Thanks Jon. This technology is certainly getting a move on now.