peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Re:my New Howe Truss Bridge

Alec K said:
Dear Peter,

Compared with the magnificence of the civil engineering of your truss girder bridge, my query will seem very minor indeed. I noted the characteristic check rails you have installed on the track to reflect the derailment measures taken by the CCE on railway bridges - nice touch, if I may say so. Please could you advise what material you used to create the check rails, and how you attached these to the sleepering?

Many thanks for such an interesting thread - an inspiration.

Kind regards

Alec K

Hi Alec,

Guard rails - the first bridge I built I made them from Pexco rail, andf glued them to the sleepers with Evostik. That bridge is the samllest one at 3 feet and it still took a couple of lengths. Guard rails are meant to be smaller section rail, if you are using 330 section they could be 250 section for instance, though really the difference eis possibly a but large, thouigh our deep flages should be able to accomadate it. The ends were made from tapered bits of rail on a plasticard plate that was glued to the (curved) ends.

The next two bridges are 4 foot or close to that - so they are gouing to need 3 1 yard lengths each. Now that rail (or track) is so expensive (& I am a pensioner) I thought what could be used instead, and decided that I could use strips 5mm wide, and 4 mm high (so keeping the top of the guard rail below the normal rail height - I use Peco G45 which is code 250, and from the top of the sleeper to the top of the rail it is 7mm so I have a 2mm clearance to allow for use of a track cleaner.

They are pre-curved, and then glued down with plenty of Evo stik, and painted a mucky brown/black/grey/rust colour - when done give them a matt varnish coat as well. Agreed they are not protoypical but are a very close match when viewed at niormal G scale distances and much cheaper and look effective, also I do not know of a smaller section rail that my 250 section rail.

The idea (I model the period of Colorado narrow gauge of 1880) may have come from reading somewhere that guard rails were made from iron faced wood strips - I do not know now, but its possible.

Hope the above helps.

peterbunce

29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers

Hi, Thank you for the comments - most appreciated -

Bobg has a line in his signature 'There is one serious problem with being retired...........how do you get a day off??? '

The answer is, as I am (with others) - you don't BUT you do get to choose what is to be done today, and if my experience is anything to go by you have a very long list of items to choose from.

That is the important thing = keeping yourself busy with your own choices, not (generally) being dictated to you, is provides the interest, which helps to keep the brain active!

A

Alec K

Dear Peter,

Very, very helpful, and thank you for the essential details. I'll be lucky if I come close to your standards, but with your guidance I'll try to make a passable effort! I have laid straight and gently curving stretches with Peco Streamline G45 track which as you pointed out has the lower rail profile, but the section that needs guard rail attention is my version of the Treworgey Curve on the L and CR (the prototype wasn't originally treated thus but the GWR certainly did on takeover!). I say 'guard rails'rather than check rails as my version is 2' 6" above ground level and the 'Treworgey Curve' is laid with LGB components.

As for retirement - I couldn't agree with your comments more. I still do the odd short-term project now and then but it's my decision.

Kind regards

Alec

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers

That is fantastic... can we have some more pictures when it is situ and use?

peterbunce

29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers

Hi, First the trestle needs to be built then it can be located at the gap twixt the ends that are left - I will add some when the testle has been built/locayed in position.

Not fiinished then, a mountain or two (well hills I suppose!) needs to be built!

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers

Bobg has a line in his signature 'There is one serious problem with being retired...........how do you get a day off??? ' The answer is, as I am (with others) - you don't BUT you do get to choose what is to be done today, and if my experience is anything to go by you have a very long list of items to choose from.

A true accolade indeed, to be quoted! Absolutely; days off? Impossible. Things to do to keep life interesting? More than you can count, this is the life (now in its twelth year), and long may it continue. A while ago it was suggested that I should get SWMBO to help with the track and I said second best day's work I'd done was to part. Retiring early was without doubt the best day's work I have ever done, no question.

And it's still a FANTASTIC bridge, and loads better than mine!

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag

Peter only just picked up onthis thread. What a bridge! Looks really good

peterbunce

29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers

Hi,

The bridge now has its companion trestle made and fitted. I had in stock some red cedar that came from an old greenhouse. that was 30 years old and there was only a small amount of rot at the bottom of one of the verticals.

This was to be used in building the 6 foot long trestle - after many drawings and web trawlings I had the design I wanted and a spare piece of ply was used to make a jig for 10 trestle bents, they were then made off this, with twelve pieces to each one and they are 18" high.

Two more, slightly smaller, were made for the end of the Howe truss to sit on and all were joined together in due course after staining them, and making from a couple of layers of 8mm PVC solid foam some 'concrete' trestle bases which were painted light grey.

The whole thing sits in/on a trench with a hidden soakaway (which worked perfectly in the recenty heavy rain) filled with 10mm gravel.

So here are a couple of photos of the pair in location; the bridge has at each end a pair of Hillman Bridge clamps so is instantly removable.

f4f1c7639dba4f0daf7eb8e2beea4234.jpg

24fe4f52a0a5455f8d2c258c7899e0d4.jpg

The little Porter is an LGB one with a new tender and the two wagons are scratch built.

Now the while area needs a good tidy up!

peterbunce

29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers

Hi, A couple more photos -

bec2069a91cb43db8844c654a9eb2e02.jpg

9cb1bfe60915430ea6d3c2d4125fec52.jpg

a couple of slightly raised photos- in the first one the crossing keepers hut for the 90m degree crossing (which may have a special signal made for it) can be seen.

Still to do is a small mountain over the 6 foot radius curve, but that will be a job for next year!

Meanwhile I will look through the list of jobs to do for something a bit more simple next time - perhaps a locomotive!

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag

Yep. The bees knees!

Mick

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Superb!! Excellant modelling and engineering.

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
Hi Peter,

nice to see you´re at work!
Once more, a very fine piece of bridge-building!

But it shows, that detailed and fine works are worth doing. It just looks great!

Greetings

Frank