My New 2060H Schoema Has A Squeaky Voive

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I just received a 2060H LGB Shoema diesel. The one with the "Bicycle" horn. I used to own one of these many years ago, and don't recall the horn sounding as "tinny" as this one.

I tried replacing it with a miniature 8 ohm speaker but I just heard a muffled click when I activated the horn reed switch on the bottom of the loco. On the original horn, there is a screw on the bottom that sets the place where the horn works. Turning their screw will not help. It only silences these types of horns. I learned this many years ago with my post-war Lionel diesels. Once the screw is turned, the horn will not sound until the screw is turned back to the precise spot it was before being disturbed.

So my question is, short of investing in a loco sound unit, is there anything that can be done that I haven't mentioned, to deepen the tone of the horn ?

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps you could get a speaker to work if it's impedance is correctly matched for the circuit. It won't change it's pitch though but may not be so 'tinny'. Put a multimeter on the existing 'noise maker' to get an idea of the impedance required. Maybe a 4 ohm speaker will work.

Are you sure the 'noise maker' is not a buzzer type device rather than an audio speaker?
I'm not familiar with the loco, sorry.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
If the horn was adjusted by a screw...
Was it a diaphragm-type hootery-thing? - If so, it would just be fed DC, so a loudspeaker would 'click' and probably burn-out fairly quickly..

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
It is rather obnoxious isn't it. Sounds like a buzzer type hooter thingamajig. An adjustment screw sounds right to find the effective 'sweet spot' for it to oscillate.
If you could mount it on a large piece of cardboard, you might get it do sound a little beefier.

Reactions: 1 user