My method of ballasting track

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
I've been relaying trackwork to change some turnout locations that were too difficult to reach.
Maybe someone will be interested in my method of ballasting track.

I use a dry mixture of 6:1; 5mm gravel:cement. It’s mixed dry but it helps if you just slightly wet the gravel before mixing – this help the cement powder adhere to each stone. I also add a bit of black oxide to add colour.
It's then placed along the OUTSIDE of the rails only, not between the rails.
fed269be192a4513a6fa195202cf2506.jpg

I use a ???? brush to 'tamp' the mixture under the outer part of the sleepers.
1c00203211f94dfb82522a2c6613659a.jpg
33a211095d8d4e3e91d9602900928a94.jpg

Then a 'gentle' spray to just wet the surface, not enough to wash the cement dust off!. I use a soft drink bottle with lots of 1mm holes in the cap.
2ba292458aac4f6d952e75fcfb6b9207.jpg

A couple of hours later I repeat the watering, then 24 hours later give it a good soak with a watering can.

Then I fill between the rails with loose gravel.
2169e09840934f48b6688a7771f53a53.jpg

or see this video.....

http://www.members.optusnet.com.au/satr/ballast3.wmv < Link To http://www.members.optusn..om.au/satr/ballast3.wmv

The result is a firmly held track, which water can drain through, and I can use my leaf blower without blowing the ballast away.

I've used this for 4 years now and it showed it's worth when I ripped out the old track. I was able to break the ballast off the track. Some of the old ballast can even be reused. The larger pieces become landfill for the next project!

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Very nice, I do mine the same way but spray down with aliphatic resin glue and water never thought about leaving the center section without glue I will give it a go when I reballast a section

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
nice job.

I use a sand cement mix with a little dried compost, makes the moss grow very well

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thats a dammed good idea. Especially for those areas that are a bit above the surrounding terrain, where the ballast wants to find the lowest point in that terrain.

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting idea, I might give that a go on the inclines.

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
That's very interesting and I'm with Paul that I'd never thought about leaving the center bit as loose gravel.

I also like the idea of mixing in some compost.

I need to try something new this spring as with the torrential rain we've had here over the past few weeks, I am going to need to do some repairs!

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Hmm, interesting, very interesting. :)

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
hornbeam said:
nice job.

I use a sand cement mix with a little dried compost, makes the moss grow very well

We find it a little difficult growing moss in downunder land.
With the drought and water restrictions I have lost all my groundcover.

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
Well this is what happens if you don't glue the ballast in place after a California downpour!!

Before and after...........................
A month or so ago I re-did the ballast on this section but neglected to spray down with the glue mix ( you know it was a toit.....I'll get to it)..........So before........
c0456edddf2a4ccb8a0a3aefb33be97c.jpg

And last night we got a downpour the indian mosoon would be proud of!! Note the ballest has pepperdashed the wood retaing wall!!!
6b9b219bff2e432f8f5be7cbac03ad4d.jpg

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Just shows the force water can generate and there is no off tap with nature

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
hornbeam said:

It's amazing the great weird ideas GR people come up with. Could be useful for using an 1" or 2 outside the sleepers to try to grow moss where I don't want ground cover to invade the track. As Corgi says, it may not work too well in the dry Oz climate.
minimans said:
Well this is what happens if you don't glue the ballast in place after a California downpour!!
Before and after...........................
A month or so ago I re-did the ballast on this section but neglected to spray down with the glue mix ( you know it was a toit.....I'll get to it)..........So before........
Exactly why I developed the cement method!

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
I think that idea would be useful on parts of my layout.