Chris Vernell

Tortoise
24 Oct 2009
Nepean, ON
Country
Canada
Best answers
Country flag
IMPORTANT! Interlock track power with the bridge in position!
Simplest may be to have isolators some 4 feet each side of the bridge, and feed power at the bridge, which then livens up the dead sections. No bridge? No power!
But then you get a battery/RC (or live steam) loco that runs right through the dead sections and ... :oops:
Don't ask how I know :blush:
For track power, the idea is great. I've done it for the lifting bridge (people access) on my Thomas's Branch show layout.

viaEstrecha

Spanish metre gauge in G scale (on the cheap)
25 Oct 2009
Bedfordshire
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Only eleven days since the last entry here, that's good for me.

So I managed to do a couple of rough plans showing what is there at the moment and what I hope for the future. The yellow cross hatched section is the raised bed I put in with the idea of the garden railway. The ground does rise up a bit at the back so a raised bed makes sense even without a railway. The track is laid loose on the gravel top dressing and the line weaves through the various plants.

View attachment 316144

Onto the proposed new layout. This will run round the edge of the available area with a spur off to a station area against the railway shed and another spur that heads into the shed to storage sidings. The line will be higher than the existing one and I will take my level from the shelf in the shed. Also shown is a possible extension that heads back towards the house along the boundary. There might also be a passing loop along the back fence. This layout will need a lift out bridge at the entrance to this area of the garden.

View attachment 316145

All existing curves are R2 but hopefully I can use R3s on the new line. I have checked that there is plenty of room at that corner with the shed. The new design won't give me the meandering look I had before but should allow longer trains without the worry of derailment. The station and the storage sidings will give me the ability to send a train from one distinct area to another.

As I will be working from the spur into the shed outwards I will still be able to run trains on the old line while building the new.

Wish me luck.

Paul
Like that - I did wonder if you have room for a passing loop, so you can vary trains pottering around the circuit without running into the station or sidings. Useful for when you just want to sit there and watch them go by :D

a98087

Registered
8 Nov 2009
Wiltshire
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good, I 2nd the idea of a passing loop, as it’s a very long section, also will it be dead straight?

if you were to use a few r3 and r5 curves or flexitrack you could make some nice flowing curves to break up the straight.

The passing loop could be the site of a future station time and funds permitting

Dan

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good to me. You could still have a meandering line following the front of the raised bed, with your old R2 curves.
IMPORTANT! Interlock track power with the bridge in position!
For a few seconds I thought what a good idea and then I remembered it will be raised. The new level will be at the height of the shelf under the workbench in the shed and that equates to about 18" above the existing track. The raised bed is mainly for plants so the track will have to be away from the front edge.

Several of my locos are simple r/c so I will probably be devising a system that will lock it in place so no accidental removal happens.

Paul

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Like that - I did wonder if you have room for a passing loop, so you can vary trains pottering around the circuit without running into the station or sidings. Useful for when you just want to sit there and watch them go by :D
Yes, the passing loop would probably be at a station.

Paul

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Looks good, I 2nd the idea of a passing loop, as it’s a very long section, also will it be dead straight?

if you were to use a few r3 and r5 curves or flexitrack you could make some nice flowing curves to break up the straight.

The passing loop could be the site of a future station time and funds permitting
I'm sure there will be a passing loop and it would probably be a station.

I've shown the back section as straight initially but if I can get some curves in I will however it is a bed for existing shrubs and small trees. The track will also be raised up a further 18" or so. The plan is the initial basic idea which will probably be much altered as I proceed. This is the back fence I will be working with.

bg.jpg

Paul

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Triangular junction at the station, so you can go in and out?

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Triangular junction at the station, so you can go in and out?
Absolutely not! If I was going totally battery powered then a possible/maybe but for the present I am not and I want the absolute simplest system. All points will be hand operated. I've done triangular junctions in smaller scales and I don't want to deal with them again and certainly not in an outside environment. Slight complications make my brain hurt these days.

Paul

DafyddElvy

1:22.5 & 15mm Scale Trams, , NG Steam Railways
10 Feb 2021
West Lothian
Country
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
For a few seconds I thought what a good idea and then I remembered it will be raised. The new level will be at the height of the shelf under the workbench in the shed and that equates to about 18" above the existing track. The raised bed is mainly for plants so the track will have to be away from the front edge.

Several of my locos are simple r/c so I will probably be devising a system that will lock it in place so no accidental removal happens.

Paul
Could your R/C controlled models have a reed switch fitted, and if the bridge is not in place a magnet in the track is energised which operates the reed switch and cuts the power to the motor.
Others who know and understand r/c electrics will correct me and tell you the correct way to do what I have suggested

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Could your R/C controlled models have a reed switch fitted, and if the bridge is not in place a magnet in the track is energised which operates the reed switch and cuts the power to the motor.
Others who know and understand r/c electrics will correct me and tell you the correct way to do what I have suggested
Sounds an excellent idea but I am trying to keep it as simple as possible. The bridge will only be in place when trains are running and I am in charge when that happens. I think the height will be low enough for tall people to step over and high enough for others to duck under.

Paul

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Absolutely not! If I was going totally battery powered then a possible/maybe but for the present I am not and I want the absolute simplest system. All points will be hand operated. I've done triangular junctions in smaller scales and I don't want to deal with them again and certainly not in an outside environment. Slight complications make my brain hurt these days.

Paul
I know what you mean, complicated things like that outside must be a pain to keep working. TBH I did think whether I should have made the suggestion, there's a very fine line between being helpful and a complete pain in the nether regions. I hope I didn't cause offence

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
I know what you mean, complicated things like that outside must be a pain to keep working. TBH I did think whether I should have made the suggestion, there's a very fine line between being helpful and a complete pain in the nether regions. I hope I didn't cause offence
No offence taken at all. My exclamation mark at the end of my 'Absolutely not!' was in jest. I am in awe of the amazing systems that are shown here, the modelling skills and the electronic wizardry, I like to think my part here is to show newcomers that playing trains (yes, I said playing) can still be fun at the other end of the skill spectrum.

Paul

Reactions: 1 user

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Did the Pig's Other Ear materialise?

Edit: Sorry if I'm asking for something that's common knowledge. I've been away from the forum a few years so I may have missed something.

Last edited:

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
Did the Pig's Other Ear materialise?

Edit: Sorry if I'm asking for something that's common knowledge. I've been away from the forum a few years so I may have missed something.
It has very slowly progressed but mostly in the small area between my ears. The original circuit is still in place and usable so no huge rush.

Paul