24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
well this is what i did over the past few days off ive had
i was lucky enough to receive 3 Muella kits from Santa  
this is the fruitstand

and i added my hillbilly moonshine truck 
the first pic gives a n overview of the little stand
i apologize for the sloppy background-my life in the basement and my small layout are in a state of flux as we prepared for major construction-soon even this small oval mess will be gone -entire out door layout is gone -had to to allow for BIG Drilling Truck access right over everything in the garden cept my koi pond -its a new day ! and a new payment too!
IMG_0352.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
some details
IMG_0349.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
the truck -which doesnt seem as contrasty with rust when in hand

IMG_0346.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
and a slightly different angle

this was fun and i did it rather quickly as i have little patience and like my toys so i can play asap! all plastic resin is ivory colour in the raw -i rub with a powder stain-fix-then dry brush and weather-as for fruits and stuff- i paint-wash with india ink dilute to emphasize crevises and detail -then gloss-or dull cote  if appropos- the watermelons were painted dry brush in the center very lightly with red- more heavily scrubbed in the centre and less to the edge-white edge was simply scaping off the green and red back down to the ivory resin 
this is the first (and last) time i use a marker for barrel hoops-doesnt quite do it

still have a school house and double depot latrine to build

truck is NOT Muella but another makers kit-1:24
IMG_0347.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
last one ! cans on shelf were a right PITA as each little label must be cut and glued -but easier than painting each label :rolleyes:  bench au natural wood (not from the kit) is for sitting a spell and having a swig off the back of the truck when biz gets slow-perhaps we need a dawg or some other critter?  
IMG_0344.jpg

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
That's really impressive.

I wonder if anyone stocks these kits in the U.K.?

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Very nice :clap: the fruit looks so real can you eat it .

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
railwayman198 said:
That's really impressive.

I wonder if anyone stocks these kits in the U.K.?

thanks to all for the kind words
you could go on line to his site-muellascalemodels and order-

even in larger stores i dont see his stuff too often-i speculate that this is due to the plain ivory resin in a plastic bag-or hsi boxes with relatively subdued and small pictures of the finished product-i think that because the product does not reveal itself until painted-most folks decide its either boring or they cant/dont want to build and paint-the fact is that construction is far simpler than POLA in general-once painted his products are just wonderful 

its somewhat pricey (comparable imho with older pola prices and the plastic is not as thick and there arent many parts)

otoh-he is an artisan and each kit is from his hand built prototype and his pour-at-home resin molds-and each kit is assembled by hand by Tom in his home from castings he makes-in other words-

imho for what you get and the small scale production-its not only a bargain but a value, and art-and i suggest, one that will not be available forever -

as you can see his work has a definite style to it-i think its great-very American southern/ backwoods-or Canadian and possibly Aus and NZ too

i have, i think, all of his figures, most of his detail items, and all but 2 of his buildings-they are some of my favorites and each is unique and warmly reflecting the human condition

right up there with preiser for detail -but a 'funkier' feel

best part is his instructions give nice guidelines for painting and producing a great model-
it took my weathering skills to another level

what i think i like best is that his product really lends itself well to to sparse application-a freight shed here, a small false-front store there, an outhouse etc-signs of rural life without clutter and without some of the really rather large footprints of my also beloved POLA

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
hers are some other examples of Toms talents
generalstoredetail00001.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Captured2009-2-900017.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
porterfranks2008-12-2500035.jpg

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
andynscaleandporter00004.jpg

Otter 1

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Best answers
Those Muella models are little masterpieces. Unforunately it is o longer possible, to have them send by surface mail to Europe, so the Air Mail postage is a bit pricy.

I realized, when painting fruit, the easiest way is to use the real thing as a model.

Melonen11.jpg

So after work, add some ham, whitebread and champagne and you have a meal.

In my case, the roof and floor of the fruit stand warped badly after a few weeks. Straightening in hot water only helped for a few days. So I using only the detals at the moment:

Stinktier11.jpg

Although Muealla Models are in 1 : 24, they are a convincing addition to the Pola market stalls.

DSCN7029.jpg

Simply don´t posistion Preiser 1 : 22,5 figures next to Muella 1 : 24.

The AMT-Ertl Beverly Hillbillies pickup truck is a great find. Larger than the Fords you see all over the place on layouts.

PolaWilli7.jpg

I think, is is a 1921 Buick. My model has Pola´s Will (the Goli driver) at the wheel, Pola beercrates and wine-boxes from the net as a load.

Have Fun

Juergen / Otter 1

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
so jurgen was your fruitstand in the sun? sorry to hear your warped
nice paint-especially the oil drum and water melons

too expensive and too much work to lose

i imagine that these models could warp-even heavy duty pola parts will do this in the mile high sun in summer

i 'brace' the undersides of roofs as well as floors to avoid possible sag using plastic i beams and glue

The Devonian

Registered
17 Nov 2009
South Hams
Best answers
Country flag
A sharp addition to your railroad Steve. It is very impressive. Just invive Granny and Elly May over from Tennessee to complete it all. :clap:
I suspect that the figures and other items are light in weight and therefore postage could well be worthwhile for such lovely items.

Otter 1

Registered
7 Nov 2009
Best answers
was your fruitstand in the sun? sorry to hear your warped

No, it warped while lying unassembled in the shelf. I had quite a few resin kits from all over the world in my workshop. I noticed, some resins tend to shrink and warp within a few months or years. Mainly flat and thin parts. But some qualities hold their shape for years.

Glueing or screwing wood to the floor or corrugated iron roof of the fruitstand kit, did not help for very long. Meanwhile I simply substitutet with precision scale or GRS products.

Have Fun

Otter 1 / Juergen