MTH Challenger

royale

G scale and driving my Royale Sabre kit car
26 Oct 2009
Long Eaton
Best answers
Stolen from a house in the village of Hook , near Goole, an MTH 4-6-6-4 Challenger locomotive in its distinctive MTH RAILKING One Gauge yellow and green box. This loco has Protosound 2 and is the passenger train version with passenger train loco crew cab chatter.The loco and tender are gray with yellow stripes and the cab number is 3980. Several things to look out for --- The loco is fitted with smoke deflectors (elephant ears) and only the passenger version had these. The drawbar (connector) between the loco and tender is homemade of aluminium to give a closer coupled effect. One of the running boards down each side of the loco has a crack in it behind one of the smoke deflectors. On each side of the tender is a maker's plate -- one of these is metal but the other is a paper photocopy as the original was lost.

The loco used to be mine but I sold it to my friend in Hook but he is giving up G-scale due to health problems and offered to sell the loco back to me. I accepted but when he looked for the loco it was not in the room in his house with his many other locos. He had not run the loco for a long time and said it could have been stolen at any time within the last two years when he had Open Days.

Last edited:

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
This may well not be the engine in question but a few features match and it is a very uncommon engine over here.

MTH Challenger on ebay

Last edited:
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
There's a picture of the drawbar on the eBay listing, so maybe that can identify it... it has the elephant ears...

I'd encourage your friend to contact eBay, not the seller, unless he wants to notify the police himself and go that way.

Greg

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think that is an original drawbar?

I also don't think Peter (the ebay seller of this item) would knowingly be selling a stolen item?
I have dealt with him. I know that does not necessarily mean anything, but..

PhilP

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, I should have been clearer, if you look at the drawbar on ebay and it is indeed the "custom" drawbar, that would pretty much seal it...

the eBay one looks stock to me, but I am not a MTH expert.

Sorry for any implication that this seller has stolen property.

Greg

DGE-Railroad

The Orchard Line
26 Jan 2020
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I too had a look at the features mentioned. The drawbar looks standard to me and I couldn't see any crack in the walkways although could only see one side. The listing reports this loco to be undamaged

The seller has a 100% reputation and another beautiful MTH loco available too.

As I said, I expect it's just a coincidence but I remember how heartbreaking it was to read this post and felt I had to highlight it, just in case.

I likewise wouldn't want to impugne someone I dont know and with a good reputation. It's always possible that they have unwittingly come into possession of it though.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
A very unfortunate occurrence. It isn't in any way a small engine, so the perpetrator must have really wanted one, or he was just incredibly lucky not to have been seen taking it, as I'm sure there must have easier items to walk off with. Not being an expert, the draw bar doesn't look like a custom made one, but would a seller fit a standard one to make it ess conspicuous? Again agreeing with others, the seller is probably just that, with no criminal intent

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
A very unfortunate occurrence. It isn't in any way a small engine, so the perpetrator must have really wanted one, or he was just incredibly lucky not to have been seen taking it, as I'm sure there must have easier items to walk off with. Not being an expert, the draw bar doesn't look like a custom made one, but would a seller fit a standard one to make it ess conspicuous? Again agreeing with others, the seller is probably just that, with no criminal intent

Please don't misinterpret any lack of replies in this thread. Sadly the O.P. passed away recently due to long term non covid related illness. His friend, the loco's owner, doesn't use the internet as he doesn't consider himself computer literate.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

tac foley

Registered
11 Apr 2017
Near Huntingdon, UK
Best answers
Country flag
Please don't misinterpret any lack of replies in this thread. Sadly the O.P. passed away recently due to long term non covid related illness. His friend, the loco's owner, doesn't use the internet as he doesn't consider himself computer literate.

John has left us, eh? That's a real pity - I really enjoyed chatting with him over at Trevor's GTG. He had some wonderful stuff, including a Bachmann K27 that he used to run with my Accucraft version as a double-header lash-up. And, of course, his beautiful Royale motorcar. Was his name after the car, or vice versa - I never knew.

He made me almost cry one day with his Southern Pacific PA and passenger cars making up a good long train. 'Listen to this' the said, and turned on the cab talk - 'Track number one, Train number 1, City of Portland...' it said...just about broke my heart.

RIP, john

Last edited: