In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Fellow G Gaugers.

I have run into a problem with my Southern Pacific Daylight train. I have been building a GS-3 4-8-4 Southern Pacific Daylight from two Aristo-Craft 4-6-2 Pacifics (More on this later) and I am using an MTH Tender that matches beautifully. The problem that I have is that the MTH Southern Pacific Daylight coach that I have is at least 1/4 of an inch too short in height. Has anybody ever run into this problem and if so what is the best answer on how to raise the height? Thanks Arthur

Attachments

• Southern Pacific Tender Coach Height.jpg
    Southern Pacific Tender Coach Height.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 0
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Most people don't mix 1:29 and 1:32 rolling stock, especially class 1 railroad stuff.

I would suggest in general that you standardize on a coupler and stick with it (per scale). (that implies standardizing coupler height)

In this case you have a clear scale mismatch in my opinion, I would not run these together.

To answer the question you actually asked (sorry!), I would put spacers between the trucks and the chassis on the passenger cars to better match to the 1:29 loco. I'd shim the tender if needed.

I'd like to see a picture of the whole train, or at least the loco, tender and 1/2 of the first passenger car.

A question: if you are using an MTH tender, how in the heck does it not align with the MTH passenger cars? There is something wrong here, there is more to the story.

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Most people don't mix 1:29 and 1:32 rolling stock, especially class 1 railroad stuff.

I would suggest in general that you standardize on a coupler and stick with it (per scale). (that implies standardizing coupler height)

In this case you have a clear scale mismatch in my opinion, I would not run these together.

To answer the question you actually asked (sorry!), I would put spacers between the trucks and the chassis on the passenger cars to better match to the 1:29 loco. I'd shim the tender if needed.

I'd like to see a picture of the whole train, or at least the loco, tender and 1/2 of the first passenger car.

A question: if you are using an MTH tender, how in the heck does it not align with the MTH passenger cars? There is something wrong here, there is more to the story.

Greg
Thanks Greg for your advice. I appear to have located the problem but it still has a good result.

Part of the problem was the trucks on the MTH tender. They are USA 6 wheel trucks. Because the tender matched up so well with the engine (Ans I have a LOT of time in the engine building all the parts to turn it into a GS-3) I had never considered that the height of the tender might be off. I did shim the passenger car and by a happy coincidence it also matches the height of my Great Trains F7.! Thanks for your knowledge and comments.

Attachments

• Southern Pacific Aristo-Craft Daylight Tender MTH Coach.jpg
    Southern Pacific Aristo-Craft Daylight Tender MTH Coach.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Southern Pacific Tender MTH Coach & Great Trains.jpg
    Southern Pacific Tender MTH Coach & Great Trains.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Southern Pacific GS-3 2.jpg
    Southern Pacific GS-3 2.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 0
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
That's looking better, it was a big loco and a big tender. I think you have done the best you can do with the mix of scales.

I've seen it with a 1:29 tender and it never looked right next to the 1:32 passenger cars. Using the MTH tender works well with the MTH cars. This is by the way my favorite color "scheme", but it's wildly popular with most everyone.

If you make a video and post on youtube please notify here.

Greg

Reactions: 2 users

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
That's looking better, it was a big loco and a big tender. I think you have done the best you can do with the mix of scales.

I've seen it with a 1:29 tender and it never looked right next to the 1:32 passenger cars. Using the MTH tender works well with the MTH cars. This is by the way my favorite color "scheme", but it's wildly popular with most everyone.

If you make a video and post on youtube please notify here.

Greg
Thank you Greg. You kind comments are greatly appreciated. I really have put my heart into building this Aristo-Craft locomotive/tender/Southern Pacific Daylight into something that looks well. Thanks Arthur

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I will say I have never seen this combination work as well together as you have figured out. A great move with the tender. How many cars in the train? did you add weight to the loco?

Greg

Reactions: 1 user

AJtheTeacher

In Texas
2 May 2021
Magnolia Texas
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I will say I have never seen this combination work as well together as you have figured out. A great move with the tender. How many cars in the train? did you add weight to the loco?

Greg
Thank you for your generous comments on my efforts! I upgraded the electric motor in the locomotive with a 10% larger Mabuchi unit machined to accept the output. I do have an additional Aristo-Craft 4-6-2 lead weight that can be cut down and will fit nicely into the extended locomotive frame. I also made a deal with the local scrapyard for some lead ingots perfect for use as extra weight but I have not added them yet.

At this time I only have the locomotive, tender and one streamline MTH Daylight coach. (In addition I have a Great Trains Southern Pacific F7 A-B-A set that also appears able to use the same set of passenger cars. I have missed out on an MTH Daylight observation twice and plan to add that next. Unfortunately, at this moment I cannot afford to spend a lot on trains. (I am trying to pay the bills from my mother passing last month.)

I do have 8 or so of the REA Aristo-Craft Daylight Sierra shorty cars that look really nice behind my Bachmann Southern Pacific Daylight colors/painted Annie powered 2-6-0 but they have silver roofs and do not look well with the GS-3.

I do hope to add more MTH streamline cars when I can. Thanks AJ the Teacher