dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
This is predominantly a query to our USA friends. However if you do know or have further info please comment.

I just bought a copy of Model Railroader, Oct 2014 where on the back page was an interesting add by MRC detailing their new DCC System. What would appear to be of interest is that this appears to be Wireless. Now I may have this wrong, but it would appear to be possible to use this WITHOUT TRACK WIRING. Queries:-

1 Can anyone confim that it can be worked direct by Batteries (no direct Track Wiring).
2 Is the Frequency likely to be Illegal in Europe
3 Likely cost of the Sound Decoders and Hand Controller.
Many thanks in anticipation of some sort of amplication of this interesting product.
JonD

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Gaugemaster sell MRC in the UK..
I do not see this product listed there, so guess the frequency is not licensed for the UK.

It appears to be a remote / ESC in the loco, where you set your track voltage (DC) to maximum, and the Freedom One intercepts this to the motor. - So no reason why you could not have a pile of batteries on-board.

I have not read enough / downloaded the manuals to see what they mean by the sound module being DCC compliant.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
But that is the Prodigy NOT the Freedom One..??

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
dunnyrail said:
This is predominantly a query to our USA friends. However if you do know or have further info please comment.

I just bought a copy of Model Railroader, Oct 2014 where on the back page was an interesting add by MRC detailing their new DCC System. What would appear to be of interest is that this appears to be Wireless. Now I may have this wrong, but it would appear to be possible to use this WITHOUT TRACK WIRING. Queries:-

1 Can anyone confim that it can be worked direct by Batteries (no direct Track Wiring).
2 Is the Frequency likely to be Illegal in Europe
3 Likely cost of the Sound Decoders and Hand Controller.
Many thanks in anticipation of some sort of amplication of this interesting product.
JonD

I think the Freedom One System would allow a loco to be controlled with a wireless remote and power via batteries. The same loco could also be controlled via DCC track power.

Sorry don't know what frequency this uses, or the cost of it. Any existing loco decoder would have to be removed.

My requirements for a wireless DCC system would not be met by Freedom One. I want:
1) No scrapping of existing equipment.
2) The same control, with the same controller, whatever power source was being used.
3) Control of all accessories.

I've currently got a Tam Valley DRS system to test, and have been impressed with it over the two weeks I've had it. I'm running DCC sound locos, with no track power or track cleaning, using my existing controllers.

http://www.tamvalleydepot.com/products/drs1deadrailcomponents.html

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Many thanks for your answers and research guys.

Thought that this may work out to be a cheapie Battery Options. As it is by MRC there was that slight possibility. However looking at the Dollar Price it looks to be a possible no no. As ever I am on the search for a UK compatible option for the non appearance of the Massoth DRC 300. If this had been in the $60 or $70 per loco it may have made the grade for a Shunter perhaps. The 20ft range would have been more than adequate for this. However the non compliant (probably) Frequency and uncertainty of Battery Option could well discount it. Though reading all the material quoted I see nothing that excludes a Battery Option. Again for a Small G Scale Loco the possible Amperage ought to be OK.

There is some confusion in the literature in that this link for a Drop In Decoder talks about a 12 ft Range:-

http://www.modelrec.com/search/product-view.asp?ID=13206

This one talks about 20ft Range:-

http://www.modelrectifier.com/resources/trainSound/FreedomOne/freedomone.pdf

Hmm looks like a very new product that is getting more detail out there as things evolve. Possibly worth watching and waiting to see what emerges in the term of Knowledge base.

Perhaps I may have made someone think of experimenting (a Battery setup) with this. If so lets hope they let us know the results.
JonD