MRC AD325 Decoder

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
My MRC AD325 decoder has suddenly died on me and I cannot communicate with it. Can anybody recommend someone to look at it please?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Unfortunately if it is similar to the 324, or 322, you probably have a blown regulator. These are really poor decoders, I bought about 10 of them just to experiment and eventually they all blow up.

I've had the regulator blow, the relay driver blow, and smoke from several.

I would recommend buying another, different decoder.

Does it look similar:?

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hah!

So you got this decoder in 2017, and it lasted 6 years... longer than most MRC....

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
E electricity_bill
Resurrected!

Been on the workshop bench, for testing for around nearly 4 hours, shows no signs as yet of misbehaving.

Will have wait until Monday for further testing, family gatherings this week end, off to see Great Niece Wilma, nineteen odd years for the second female to appear on the scene.

Then off to visit George III, who's arrival elevated 'Herself' and I, to the auspicious heights of Great Great GrandParents!

Couple of pictures to be going on with............

MRC AD325 Forward.jpg

MRC AD325 Reverse.jpg

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
They usually destroy themselves in acutal operation, often after a short, power interruption, or reversal. They will lock up and only run in one direction or just sit and smoke. The relay will chatter, or the 7800 series regulator will fry.

I bought 10 or so years ago for really cheap, and have blown up about 4 of them. I still have about 5 or 6 that I use with the knowledge they will fail. You can ignore my experience at your peril.

They also do not meet NMRA standards for max track voltage.

Greg

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
Concluded the testing regime, created a decoder template with the Massoth Service Tool program, to produce a the list of known CV's and their values.

Obligatory dodgy video of the decoder operating and controlled via the Massoth DCC System, nothing of note to report.

MRC AD325 Light Front.jpg
MRC AD325 Light Rear.jpg
MRC AD325 Test Rig.jpg
MRC AD325 Test Rig Loco.jpg

MRC AD325 Battery Setup.jpg

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Things have moved on a little and many thanks to John at the Shed for his help. It turns out that it is not the decoder that is the problem but it appears to be the Massoth system. The Navigator will function as a loco control and a points control but the programming function will not work either on the programming track or on the main. I have operated wireless control ever since I have had the unit – a Dimax 1200Z- for the past ten years and it has worked perfectly. I did try hard wiring it to the Navigator but that did not improve things. Any ideas would be welcome