Moving a gastank.

garrymartin

My Family,Railways, Beer and the Seaside
30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Everyone ,
I'm considering moving the gas tank on my Regner Lumberjack from its current position . to the side of the cab . This would free up the possibility of making some cosmetic changes to the loco but I'm concerned that the gas tank may be too close to the burner / firebox
ba8bdd1e324b41c7924159038cbc4be1.jpg

I would appreciate any advice as this is my first attempt at a live steam modification.
Cheers! Garry.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
Hi Garry,
I think Regner put the gas tank where it is because it's probably the safest place to put it.Putting it near the burner would probably not cause any problems because the heat created would not be hot enough to cause a problem apart from turning the gas down as the engine gets hotter,as you do on Accucraft locos.

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
Re:Moving a gastank.

Garry - in the 16mm association magazine "16mm Today" No. 121, page 35, John Kelland describes moving the gas tank to the left hand side of the cab - fore and aft. He had to move the pressure gauge and modify one of the pillars, but didn't report any problems with heat.
I hope this helps
Cheers
Chris

garrymartin

30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag

Thanks for the advice chaps.

garrymartin

30 Oct 2009
Now Derbyshire !
Best answers
Country flag

Hi All,
Gas tank moved to the right hand side of the cab, fore & aft , the existing pipe reached with a slight adjustment of the burner position. no leaks , she ran just as well as before . No regulator adjustment needed either whilst running.
Thanks again Garry.
P.S. don't buy a second hand, kit built Lumberjack unless you are very knowledgable about live steam , or have a tame engineer to hand. It was an afternoons work to get her to run at all.:(