Motor Selection for DIY Engine?

sircastor

Registered
3 Apr 2024
Portland, OR
Best answers
Country flag
I am relatively new to model trains (My father was big into N-Scale, but that was 20 years ago) and I'm interested in building my own engine - In part because it's gonna be a while before I can grow beyond my LGB starter engine, but also because I'm an electronics and 3D Printing enthusiast and I like making things.

I realize that I can buy a motor block from Bachmann or LGB and that'd get me started, but I'd like to start at a component level. I haven't been able to find specs for the Bachmann motors. G-scale tends to run ~12v-24v in a simple DC setup. I came across some other info where someone was using a pair of 6v motors. So I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations for motors? I'm also interested in a DCC setup eventually, but I need some more equipment before I get too far into that.

Degauss

Registered
9 Jun 2017
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I am relatively new to model trains (My father was big into N-Scale, but that was 20 years ago) and I'm interested in building my own engine - In part because it's gonna be a while before I can grow beyond my LGB starter engine, but also because I'm an electronics and 3D Printing enthusiast and I like making things.

I realize that I can buy a motor block from Bachmann or LGB and that'd get me started, but I'd like to start at a component level. I haven't been able to find specs for the Bachmann motors. G-scale tends to run ~12v-24v in a simple DC setup. I came across some other info where someone was using a pair of 6v motors. So I'm curious if anyone has any recommendations for motors? I'm also interested in a DCC setup eventually, but I need some more equipment before I get too far into that.
The motor will depend on how you control it. A simple preset speed control powered from batteries is the easiest. Once you have that working you can then move onto rail power and/or remote control. A loco needs space to put your electronics in.
Do you intend to run on rail power (voltage preset) or battery (you set the voltage). The size of motor depends on what load it has to move. For a simple loco I use N20 or yellow TT, suitable for narrow gauge slow running.

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

For this scale if you want a good beefy motor then JH takes some beating, a gearbox fitted one will make your first loco so much easier. I used them exclusively for my 0 gauge scratch builds and they are very reliable and powerful..

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
How about Essel Engineering?

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag

Yep, the big issue with scratchbuilding in this scale is the gearbox, so I would advise settling on that first, then I have found that over here in the UK, the gearbox manufacturers often have their own ideas and experience of suitable motors :nod::nod:

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Big powerful motors are great, but they need weight to transfer the pulling power to the rails. So a small engine with a big motor may not be able to pull a lot of cars due to no place to add weights. In the past MFG's used lead as it was easy to cast and was heavy. Now it is outlawed by most countries.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Big powerful motors are great, but they need weight to transfer the pulling power to the rails. So a small engine with a big motor may not be able to pull a lot of cars due to no place to add weights. In the past MFG's used lead as it was easy to cast and was heavy. Now it is outlawed by most countries.
Lead is readily available in most European countries (appreciating that our friend who asked the question is in the USA) as it is frequently used for roofing flashings and valleys etc

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Lead is readily available in most European countries (appreciating that our friend who asked the question is in the USA) as it is frequently used for roofing flashings and valleys etc
Less frequently now, due to the stuff always getting nicked!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Yep, the big issue with scratchbuilding in this scale is the gearbox, so I would advise settling on that first, then I have found that over here in the UK, the gearbox manufacturers often have their own ideas and experience of suitable motors :nod::nod:
Which is why I suggested JH, good motors and well built gear boxes, well over the top for my 0 gauge projects, but fine control and being pre built motor and gear box drive fell into every scratch/kit build I did using them.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Which is why I suggested JH, good motors and well built gear boxes, well over the top for my 0 gauge projects, but fine control and being pre built motor and gear box drive fell into every scratch/kit build I did using them.
Yep, I have their G1 offering in my Yeti - but remember the enquirer is the other side of the pond :nod::nod: