More small buildings

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
<p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">I subscribe to the very good American Magazine &lsquo;Narrow Gauge & Shortline Gazette&rsquo; &ndash; from SPV as it is slightly cheaper than from the USA.</font></p><p><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">In that that magazine there is a small set of plans of a set of buildings that would suit the likes of a Permanent way gang etc., and would be &lsquo;just the thing for a new area allocated to me for population with buildings. </font></font></p><p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">There were a couple of buildings, one for the American &lsquo;Gandy Dancer&rsquo; &ndash; in effect a small engine shed, and a larger T shape building that is both a store and forge building combined.</font></p><p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Some minor adjustments produced a workable plan, and it was out with the PVC solid foam sheet to make them. Having verified the basic design, as usual the windows were made up, walls cut and window/door holes cut.</font></p><p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Then the battens were cut from scrap strip, using my small Proxxon saw which is a godsend for work like this, and slowly added to the shells, after marking out the location of the window frames to stop putting battens there.. All are fixed with Evo-stik, the corner covers were then made from B&G plastic right-angled strip (cut down in width) and laid on one side for painting., with the windows.</font></p><p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">The inner roof is from 1.5mm plasticard with a standing seam added to them and at the top and also the joins for the two roofs a strip of .004 aluminum strip was added for weather protection The strip is from my favourite source &ndash; empty &lsquo;Fosters Lager&rsquo; cans; which the local youths insist on throwing around &ndash; the good ones are collected, washed twice, and the ends cut off, then the resulting tube cut and flattened out. I do not drink the stuff &ndash; can&rsquo;t stand it. The stove/forge pipes are from various scrap bits of tube and 'bendy' drinking straws.</font></p><p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">One on my earlier building was re-used for a crew house, having had a quick re-paint, and there is a new outhouse/store built (not shown) as well. All sit on pieces of the thin 18&rdquo; square (before cutting) paving slabs, to which are added some PVC angle strips that they are screwed to for safety. </font></p><p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">The grey paint is &lsquo;tester pots&rsquo; of Masonry paint from B&G, and the green is Humbrol number 3. For silver I use Plastikote enamel from Wilkinsons, and find it to be very good. Add a layer of Johnson&rsquo;s Klear varnish for the usual weather protection.</font></p><p><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Here are a couple of photos of them --</font></font></p><p> </p>

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Excellent work they make a compact little scene

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
<p><font size="3">Hi,</font></p><p><font size="3" /></p><p><font size="3">Thank you both, I should say that the issue these building were in is an old one - I am a (very) long time subscriber to the magazine so have a treasure trove of ideas from them!</font></p><p><font size="3">The quality of the magazine is still first rate!</font></p>