More figures for the PLR

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Just finished painting the next batch of passengers and personnel for the PLR. Quite a mixed bunch....
DSCN0292.JPG

One group is of mixed origin. The driver is a rather fine resin Brandbright figure. The chap in the green suit hails from Cambrian (now Dean Goods), the nonchalant chap at the back came from Back2Bay6 and the seated wagon driver came with a plastic kit for a horse drawn Beer Dray. The other three were acquired in job lots at Fairs or on eBay - not sure where they were made.
DSCN0303.JPG

This next batch are 3D printed figures from DesignPrintScan3D. Not bad at £5 a head. The folds in the clothing are beautifully represented but the faces and hands are a little blurry.
DSCN0301.JPG

This bunch are Motley Miniatures. Resin cast figures with interchangeable heads so they can be customised to some extent. The level of detail is quite good, I feel. They are literally £1.00 a head (and £5 a body)!
DSCN0297.JPG

The next gaggle are from ModelTown. Some of their figures are a bit chunky but I've found that if I am selective I can get some quite decent results. At £4.00 a head, they represent good value.
DSCN0295.JPG

And last of all comes a small selection of Perfect People whitemetal figures from Trenarren Models. They're a bit pricier at around £6.50 but the level of detail is very high and the poses are realistic (though quite why the ticket collector is prancing I have no idea - perhaps it's payday?). What I like is that they all fit into my 1930s era without much modification.
IMG_9812.JPG

Some of the Perfect People require a small amount of assembly (eg arms and/or legs being attached) so I've written up how I did that for these three figures in case anyone is interested.
https://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2020/0 ... -some.html

Rik

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice, I think the ticket collector has got the winning lottery ticket though! Unless he's standing on a step

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
looks like he got his toes caught under the wheel - should have a grimace on his face! :swear: Nice figures, want to send a few my way? I'm always looking for more!;)

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
looks like he got his toes caught under the wheel - should have a grimace on his face! :swear: Nice figures, want to send a few my way? I'm always looking for more!;)
Hi Phil
I've had some of these sitting in a box on the shelf for the past two or three years so felt it was about time I did something with them. I think the population surrounding Peckforton is now more or less complete - unless I need to model an influx of tourists on a special..... :worried:

Rik

John Le Forestier

Registered
15 Feb 2020
Toronto
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps he's climbing aboard... Your quick review of various figures and their suppliers is very much appreciated. I continue on my own figure-casting projects, making considerable headway. Here are some of them.
1582389531963.png
1582389810298.png
1582389853990.png
I haven't heard yet from the chap who started me on all this with his search for an American-type engineer. I wonder if as a novice he has not yet discovered how to follow a thread. Hmmmm. Cheers, everyone!

Reactions: 3 users

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Smart :nod: :nod:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps he's climbing aboard... Your quick review of various figures and their suppliers is very much appreciated. I continue on my own figure-casting projects, making considerable headway. Here are some of them.
View attachment 261966
View attachment 261967
View attachment 261968
I haven't heard yet from the chap who started me on all this with his search for an American-type engineer. I wonder if as a novice he has not yet discovered how to follow a thread. Hmmmm. Cheers, everyone!
How they cast? Interesting lot details much appreciated unless I have missed it elswhere.

John Le Forestier

Registered
15 Feb 2020
Toronto
Best answers
Country flag
You haven't missed it. I promised to announce available figures right here on this thread. I have been casting a small number of bespoke (UK) or custom (Can/USA) figures for four friends. For years I have been giving away my one and only original figures. Now I am beginning to make casts so I can share my work more widely. I am a very deliberate worker determined to produce only figures unmatched for quality. There has been a lot to learn; over the past month or two this effort has taught me a great deal about pattern making and casting processes and materials etc. I have made considerably progress and expect to have some good things to show you very soon. Bear in mind that this is a hobby for me, not a business. Keep your eye on this thread.

Reactions: 1 user

Shunter46

Registered
3 Apr 2019
West Midlands United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
View attachment 261966
View attachment 261967
View attachment 261968
Nice work John.All looking very productive. I like the detailing on the third gents trousers. Keep going.

John Le Forestier

Registered
15 Feb 2020
Toronto
Best answers
Country flag
On my latest figures their feet look a lot less like loaves of bread.....

John Le Forestier

Registered
15 Feb 2020
Toronto
Best answers
Country flag
My own figure-making effort is ongoing, do don't despair. The process is far more difficult than it at first seemed so over the past few months there has been a great deal for me to learn. I certainly have had my share of failures.

I have also had some fine successes which I can at last announce here now, as promised. I wouldn't dream of offering one of my figures before it is fully ready to represent my best effort.

Here are a couple to start with. All are 1/24 scale, about 3" or 75mm high.

These brakemen are available in plain or plaid shirts in red, amber, or green, allowing them to serve as real signals to operators. They fit the ladders on both Bachmann cattle and box cars. The example shown here is expensive because of the plaid paint, which is quite hard to find ;-). A plain shirt is half the price. They will be declared as handicrafts of no commercial value, hopefully free of tax.

All prices are postpaid.
1590182364285.png
My second figure is the retired sea captain.
Other figures are in the works; I shall announce them when they're ready to offer.
1590182425388.png
Your interest and encouragement is very much appreciated, as is your patience. Cheers! - John

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
Very good, Johnny...You sure are progressing...Thank you for sharing.