Modified Regner Konrad

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Here are three shots of the newly modified Konrad. We must confess to copying some of Rob Bennett's ideas from his 7/8th scale Moth.
They do say that imitation is the highest form of flattery... or something like that.

The first view shows the tender; the long wheelbase is intentional to aid cab first running stability.The tender looks a little small but any bigger, it dwarfed the loco, so this is how it ended up, the flared top helps.

The second shows a close up of the rhs with reversing lever rod, dummy whistle, new dome, old dome as sandbox (cover for topping up valve) and safety valve shroud. The extended running plate can also be seen.

The third view shows the relocated offset boiler (originally it was skewed), the repositioned smokebox saddle (further forward), the new smokebox door, the replacement flywheel and new gear guard and the lift-off cab and spectacle plate. Less obvious is the extension to the frames bringing the new buffer beam about 5/8th of an inch forward.

The design modifications were a committee decision with work carried out at the New Boston Lodge Works (in Boston) by R M Turner
(my brother).

Hope you like it.

18871-a2b85407-1e0d-4378-9cc7-8640dc397e52.jpg

Dave Turner.

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
2nd picture

18874-dd63ae77-2580-42a4-8e5a-616ff4caec9b.jpg

18874-23e08ca4-750e-4e6e-bafd-6b0ae565a995.jpg

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
A very nice job – I imagine you are very pleased with this :). All it needs now is a whistle! The Regner one is cheap, works well and is easy to fit but I prefer the more expensive resonator type

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thanks Tag, that and a smaller pressure gauge are probably next on the list. Are the resonators made by DJB?

These ossy Regners don't seem to get the following they deserve. They are nicely made and easy to operate. I know one or two members are fans, but just not as many as they merit.

tagorton

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Cornwall
Best answers
dgt - 4/12/2009 9:58 AM

Thanks Tag, that and a smaller pressure gauge are probably next on the list. Are the resonators made by DJB?

These ossy Regners don't seem to get the following they deserve. They are nicely made and easy to operate. I know one or two members are fans, but just not as many as they merit.

Oh I think they do – certainly there are quite a few down this end of the country. Graham Wilkins has two Konrads and frequently double heads. Indeed someone else said to me just yesterday, "I have had more fun with this than any other loco I have..." They are easy to cosmetically modify, they produce a delightful display of steam, they will pull the house down and also cruise at a relaxing pace. Oh yes – they are a good price! :clap:

The resonators are made by DJB – but do look at the Regner whistle as well. It is cheap, easy to fix without any drilling or soldering and actually sounds very good. I am very much a fan of David Bailey's whistles as many people will testify – but I do think the Regner one suits these little ossies better...

Bestest

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Agreed! I have a Vincent and love it. At the other end of the scale I have a Roundhouse VOR, but there is just something about the Vincent. I've none a few mods, and have a whistle waiting to be fitted. They are great locos, and as said powerfull!! As my current (tiny) layout is tram based, with the overhead I think it really fits in as a contractors engine and looks great with a train of hoppers.

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Yes, they can easily be made to fit into a wide range of scenarios. Mines just a local railway serving small communities; I could well imagine a colonial railway utilising Regners. They also lend themselves to conversion to 7/8" scale.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
20169-c0b520ce-1a09-4d41-a105-6059ae1d63c6.jpg
I have a few locos(Accucraft & Regner)and I prefer running the Regners every time,they're more fun somehow,mind,you must keep an eye on the water because it will run out before the gas(crosstube boilers).

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Allan, I know how well the Konrad/Wilma runs at low speed; do you find the Lumberjack as steady at the same low speed?
I realise it is a twin cylinder, has it got a flywheel or don't it need one?
Still mulling over whether it might be next on the list or go the whole hog and save up for a Roundhouse something.

Dave

Midwalesstokie

Registered
24 Oct 2009
South Wales
Best answers
I have a Konrad which I bought in 2006 and I had a lumberjack which I've now sold on. I found the Lumberjack less controllable than Konrad. It wasn't speedy by any means but it was more difficult to drive at a steady speed on an undulating line. Konrad as you know just plods along. Interestingly, I've also added a tender to my Konrad along with a Regner whistle which, like Tag I would highly recommend.
466cccfd4b85494389f34ab6c9328e31.jpg

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
0d76d709ebf94dc58e2f8ee0bc7cdd92.jpg
5438ce7a9b524f97884a7d69ef27e15a.jpg
882aef60f0044a9383fa76a674bf4387.jpg
dgt said:
Allan, I know how well the Konrad/Wilma runs at low speed; do you find the Lumberjack as steady at the same low speed?
I realise it is a twin cylinder, has it got a flywheel or don't it need one?
Still mulling over whether it might be next on the list or go the whole hog and save up for a Roundhouse something.

Dave

Hi Dave
Yes I find the Lumber Jack just as controllable as the rest of my Regners (I have four)but they may vary slightly between batches until they are run in.No they don't have a flywheel.

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hiya James, that is a nice tender! I remember you selling your Lumberjack; it was just before I decided to buy a Regner. Think I will fit a whistle to mine.

Hmm, four Regners then, Allan; any favourites? I like them for their engineering, apart from the fact there are no bearings on them. May fit bushes to the mainframes if they show signs of wear; I believe you can get ballbearing kits for them, must be very slim.

Dave

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Hi guys how did you go about fitting the whistle?

Midwalesstokie

Registered
24 Oct 2009
South Wales
Best answers
dgt said:
Hiya James, that is a nice tender! I remember you selling your Lumberjack; it was just before I decided to buy a Regner. Think I will fit a whistle to mine.

Hmm, four Regners then, Allan; any favourites? I like them for their engineering, apart from the fact there are no bearings on them. May fit bushes to the mainframes if they show signs of wear; I believe you can get ballbearing kits for them, must be very slim.

Dave

Dave, I live near to the guy that builds and repairs the Regner models for Martin's models. As you can imagine he has a lot of Regner models and all are fitted with ball bearings which he swears by. He's also fitted them with automatic ignition from a barbecue lighter - very neat stuff. He also a couple of twin cylinder Konrad and Vincent models without the flywheels as they are self starting.

Midwalesstokie

Registered
24 Oct 2009
South Wales
Best answers
hornbeam said:

I've got some photos on my pc at home showing where the whistle goes. When I get back I'll post them. It's dead easy, the kit comes with all the pieces you need and works extremely well.

dgt

STEAM
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I wouldn't mind a look at the Konrad Twin...not that there's much wrong with the single.
We made a slimmer flywheel which is tucked in on the Konrad, so not quite so 'in yer face'.
Funnily enough I've never been a Vincent fan; too much like a traction engine with rather a long chain drive. But, as I said before, each to their own. It would be boring if we all liked the same machinery.

I like the vertical boiler Regners, although the Victoria looks a bit WW 1 Simplex somehow.

Bet the more upmarket ( as opposed to the Easy-Line range) Regners are nice.

Dave

hornbeam

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Best answers
Great, many thanks for that look forward to seeing them cheers.

Ferrysteam

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Co Durham
Best answers
dgt said:

Dave

I like all of them really but the Lumber Jack I think is my favourite followed by me Vincent then Wilma then Chalona.All of them are superbly made,all nuts and bolts,no pop rivets.

wpandyr

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Southampton
Best answers
dgt said:
Bet the more upmarket ( as opposed to the Easy-Line range) Regners are nice.

Dave

Dave,
Here are a couple of clips of Regner premier kit engines;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIan...tch?v=lgXUWqGMaKc Hope you like them. :)

Midwalesstokie

Registered
24 Oct 2009
South Wales
Best answers
Midwalesstokie said:
hornbeam said:

I've got some photos on my pc at home showing where the whistle goes. When I get back I'll post them. It's dead easy, the kit comes with all the pieces you need and works extremely well.

Here's the photos of the whistle. As you can see the whistle valve is fitted to the central turret with the steam pipe then running through the cab floor to the whistle between the wheels. You could add r/c to the whistle if you wanted to but it goes so slowly that it's easy to get to when it's on the move.
f7e9a123734241e4909e5a5aa81d93cc.jpg

5281600645414a3cb5b045883a836af1.jpg

e5820eecf19b4aa186f572a30ec416b8.jpg