MK2 MFLR Speedwagon.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
MK2 Speedwagon.image.jpeg Speedwagon at the rear of local freight train.image.jpeg The CFR has taken into service a Speedwagon. It gives an accurate indication of train speed in either MPH or KPH.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
That is both Nice and Smashing!
All together now....... <sings> "You ain't seen nothing yet...... B-B-B-Baby you just ain't seen N-N-N-Nothing yet......." :rofl::rofl:

Jon.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Interior of Speedwagon showing circuit board and battery compartment.image.jpeg image.jpeg The bottom showing from left to right brightness knob, optical sensor, recharging socket and on/off toggle switch.image.jpeg The Speedwagon displays speeds up to 99.9 mph or 99.9 kph. It is powered by 6 AA batteries either rechargeable or non rechargeable. A recharge socket is fitted.

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That is a very neat piece of kit!

Pity they do not do a track-powered version..??

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe this is a silly question, but is the speed displayed in scale MPH/KPH or actual speeds ?

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Maybe this is a silly question, but is the speed displayed in scale MPH/KPH or actual speeds ?
Not a silly question Dan. It's scale mph/kph. My "Little John" was trundling along at respectful scale 7mph.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice thing to have, Casey - did you build it yourself, or buy it ready to run?

Jon.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Very nice thing to have, Casey - did you build it yourself, or buy it ready to run?

Jon.
No Jon, it came ready to run, complete with full operating instructions and batteries. I intend to paint it in Southern Railway brown.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
No Jon, it came ready to run, complete with full operating instructions and batteries. I intend to paint it in Southern Railway brown.

Thanks Casey - so it's a (small) production item rather than a second-hand one-off build? Who makes them?

Jon.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I got a similar item from Ebay a few years back - it used a bicycle trip/speed computer

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Very useful - thanks Casey!

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil, my Google-Fu was strong enough to have already found it from Casey's answer! :)

Jon.

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
Freda and Speedwagon.image.jpeg The Speedwagon has now received four coats of paint. Suitable numbers and lettering need to be applied, then a few coats of varnish.

Reactions: 1 users

tomb1963

Registered
13 Jan 2017
Lincoln
Best answers
Freda and Speedwagon.View attachment 218205 The Speedwagon has now received four coats of paint. Suitable numbers and lettering need to be applied, then a few coats of varnish.

It looks good!!!

Let me introduce myself: I'm the dude who has designed and manufactured the electronics and wrote the software for the speedwagon. I also build the wagons, do the wiring etc. from kits supplied by Bole Laser Craft (BLC): BLC then sell them.

It all started when I saw someone timing a loco between 2 upright bamboo canes. I thought I could do better than that! So after cobbling together a prototype and proving the principal (I was bored at the time), I then made a few MK1s based on Swift Sixteen 5 plank covered wagons which I distributed at cost to members my son's local 16mm garden railway group. Then one of the members said that he could build me a purpose designed wagon that would make assembly easier: so the MK2 was born, initially only in 32mm form. After several enquiries of interest, it was decided to offer a G scale/45mm version.

Its amazing how people suddenly slow down once they realise what scale speed their train is actually going after hooking up a speedwagon!! .

Reactions: 3 users

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
It looks good!!!

Let me introduce myself: I'm the dude who has designed and manufactured the electronics and wrote the software for the speedwagon. I also build the wagons, do the wiring etc. from kits supplied by Bole Laser Craft (BLC): BLC then sell them.

It all started when I saw someone timing a loco between 2 upright bamboo canes. I thought I could do better than that! So after cobbling together a prototype and proving the principal (I was bored at the time), I then made a few MK1s based on Swift Sixteen 5 plank covered wagons which I distributed at cost to members my son's local 16mm garden railway group. Then one of the members said that he could build me a purpose designed wagon that would make assembly easier: so the MK2 was born, initially only in 32mm form. After several enquiries of interest, it was decided to offer a G scale/45mm version.

Its amazing how people suddenly slow down once they realise what scale speed their train is actually going after hooking up a speedwagon!! .

Welcome to the forum!
The idea and execution of the Speedwagon looks very good...... I don't suppose you would be prepared to build one into an LGB wagon, for those of use who want something a little more European-looking.....?
One of these would be perfect.....
http://thumbs1.picclick.com/d/w1600/pict/322269526720_/LGB-4011-Klappdeckelwagen-OVP.jpg

Just a thought! ;)

Jon.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
LGB wagon and a bicycle computer

DSC00937 (Small).JPG

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum!
The idea and execution of the Speedwagon looks very good...... I don't suppose you would be prepared to build one into an LGB wagon, for those of use who want something a little more European-looking.....?
One of these would be perfect.....
http://thumbs1.picclick.com/d/w1600/pict/322269526720_/LGB-4011-Klappdeckelwagen-OVP.jpg

Just a thought! ;)

Jon.

AND....... ;)
(bet you wish you had not 'stuck your head above the parapet'!?)
Pick-up from the track, for us DCC types.. Would just need a bridge, 'buck' regulator, and an off/on switch..

Pretty please? :clap::clap::clap: