Mixing Brands

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Just got my copy of Narrow Gauge World magazine, and a news feature the new bridge on the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway. - A new bridge over Trout Brook..

Reactions: 1 user

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
Just got my copy of Narrow Gauge World magazine, and a news feature the new bridge on the Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway. - A new bridge over Trout Brook..
Very cool! I'd love to see that.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
For maine, consider the SRRL, LGB made several engines for this 2 foot NG (Narrow Gauge) rr. I have SRRL passenger cars and freight cars from LGB and they all look good on 45 MMtrack. Of course they are too big, but when run by themselves they are OK Note for people not familiar with the USA northeast the SRRL is Sandy River Rangely Lake a narrow gauge RR in Maine.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
You need to take a close look at this graphic, courtesy of Scot Lawrence.

Large-scale-scales2-scottychaos.jpg

In particular, note the bottom half. "Large Scale" or "G Scale" is unusual in that we have many, many scales running on the same 45mm gauge track. Yes, you can mix scales on your railroad (see Rule 1) and fortunately freight cars came in many sizes so mixing the 3 you mention in the same train won't look silly.

Personally, I'd avoid pulling 1/29th freight cars with LGB SR&RL 1:22.5 scale locos. Likewise, I'd avoid having a 1/29th large steam engine pulling Bachmann Jackson & Sharp coaches, which are compressed 1:22.5 scale.

Whatever looks right to you.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Now, if you really want to get serious about the SR&RL in the garden you could get yourself a live steam Roundhouse #24 loco and some of Bowater models rolling stock kits to go with it. They are 16mm scale (c 1:19) and can be gauged to either the correct 32mm, at that scale, or 45mm OK, probably a bit to early for that one, but it is out there if that's where you are going :) Max

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
For maine, consider the SRRL, LGB made several engines for this 2 foot NG (Narrow Gauge) rr. I have SRRL passenger cars and freight cars from LGB and they all look good on 45 MMtrack. Of course they are too big, but when run by themselves they are OK Note for people not familiar with the USA northeast the SRRL is Sandy River Rangely Lake a narrow gauge RR in Maine.

I'm going to check that out! I've been looking at the USA Trains 16520 G Boston & Maine as well.

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
You need to take a close look at this graphic, courtesy of Scot Lawrence.

View attachment 259695

In particular, note the bottom half. "Large Scale" or "G Scale" is unusual in that we have many, many scales running on the same 45mm gauge track. Yes, you can mix scales on your railroad (see Rule 1) and fortunately freight cars came in many sizes so mixing the 3 you mention in the same train won't look silly.

Personally, I'd avoid pulling 1/29th freight cars with LGB SR&RL 1:22.5 scale locos. Likewise, I'd avoid having a 1/29th large steam engine pulling Bachmann Jackson & Sharp coaches, which are compressed 1:22.5 scale.

Whatever looks right to you.

This is amazing! Thank you!

SophieB

Registered
24 Sep 2017
Elizabeth City, NC, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I don't model any particular rail line or era and have a pretty varied assortment of freight cars. I've found that when putting cars next each other it "looks" better if using two box cars of the same scale/brand. But a Bachmann freight car next to an Aristo is odd. I solve this by throwing in flat cars, tankers and low-sided gondolas.

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Ottawa/Nepean, Ontario Canada
Best answers
Country flag
The main problem with this part of Model Railroading, is a full understanding of the difference between "Scale", and "Gauge".
In the area of "North American" freight rolling stock, there is a rather large disagreement of what "Scale" certain makes of rolling stock are, due to the manufacturers using what is commonly known as "A rubber scale"
The equipment found on the now abandoned "Newfoundland Railway (CN)" was all the same scale, and when on the island, was, or converted to 3' 6" gauge from standard gauge (4'), using conversion trucks (Bogies)

Generally, when equipping your LARGE SCALE (NA STYLE) railway, you can get away with mixing some 1:29, 1:22.5, and 1:24 Freight equipment, without offending the look of your fleet of equipment, depending of course how dedicate you are to "Fine Scale Modelling".

Another area of concern to some modellers, is the era of the model railway you are creating.
In North America, mixing certain equipment in a train is not allowed under certain regulations, due to the age and construction of said equipment.
For example, mixing modern (Generally after 1950) with anything older with wooden underframes, truss rods, arch bar trucks (Bogies), coupler styles, and braking systems.

On our railway (See it on links at www.ovgrs.org ) We run separate operations for two types of equipment, which we call Narrow Gauge, and Standard Gauge. We do not generally mix the two styles of equipment.

REMEMBER, of course...whatever you care to run on YOUR railway is YOUR CHOICE. If it pleases you, and you are having fun.....THAT IS WHAT REALLY MATTERS, no-matter what some old/young fool tells you....!!!

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
The main problem with this part of Model Railroading, is a full understanding of the difference between "Scale", and "Gauge".
Here we go again and it's never ending!:devil::devil::devil::devil:

This topic comes up so often perhaps the Mods could tag a scale vs. gauge thread as a resource including such things as Scot Lawrence's excellent graphic. I suggest making it the first resource listed!

Edit added: -With a very prominent "Rule 8" caveat.;););)

Last edited:

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Best answers
Country flag
Here we go again and it's never ending!:devil::devil::devil::devil:

This topic comes up so often perhaps the Mods could tag a scale vs. gauge thread as a resource including such things as Scot Lawrence's excellent graphic. I suggest making it the first resource listed!

Edit added: -With a very prominent "Rule 8" caveat.;););)
And why does it keep coming back....Oh gee...I wonder why;
The fact remains, people just can't seem to read the facts, and the "Supposed EXPERTS" keep convoluting, and misrepresenting the facts.
EXAMPLE: The general statement/description: The interchangeability of "G gauge" and G scale". used by people right here on this rather good Web Site.
I do not claim in any way to being an "Expert". I'm just an observer of what goes on.

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
I think part of the problem is in the wider model railway world people are/were used to specific scales/gauges being described by an accepted and well defined nomenclature - e.g. OO = 1:76 scale/16.5 mm gauge, Fn3 = 1:20.3/45mm gauge, 009 = 1:76(again)/9mm gauge and so on. Yes, there are still some odd conflicts in that system but you know what you are getting if you understand the alpha numeric sequences. You know it's all going to be compatible, scale, gauge, operating standards, etc', etc'. Or at least you hope so ;)

Then along came LGB and its 45mm gauged/code 332 railed track system and the goodies that run on it. Initially its products seemed to stay roughly true to its "Spur II" relationship with the chosen track gauge but then the "what if we could" bit kicked in. This resulting in a sheer level of ubiquity for this track system that has ensured that any manufacturer worth their salt to see it as a handy peg to hang your product on, sometimes as an option, to ensure the maximum return on its investment in tooling. So what do you call this to signal compatibility of all this product to the buyer - "G Scale". Ugh ! I agree with you Fred.

Really, "G Scale" (I always use "" when referring to IT) should be referred to as "G Gauge", if you must. It indicates the product you buy is primarily, or will be, compatible to use on LGB's track system and its clones. You then should just tag an appropriate suffix/prefix to nail the scale. That should make everybody happy who like to keep things in proportion, like me :) Then again, you may just be happy to run your trains regardless of their scale/proportion/appropriate gauge relationships. Max

P.S. I run a couple of USAT's "Work Train" series waggons (a crane and its tender) in amongst my Fn3 D&RGW consists. They are supposed to be nominally 1:24 and not prototypical in any way. But they still look "right". Oh, and I run my 16mm scaled, real world 2ft gauge locos (work it out), on my LGB (and others) 45mm track system. Does that instantly render them as "G Scale" rather than 16 mm in that environment ? ;) Does this make me a heretic and a hypocrite with my neo rivet counting tendencies ? :D

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
P.S. I run a couple of USAT's "Work Train" series waggons (a crane and its tender) in amongst my Fn3 D&RGW consists. They are 1:24 and not prototypical. Does this make me a heretic ? :D

From my observations:
Only on the NGRM-Online Forum? :giggle::giggle::giggle:

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
In the area of "North American" freight rolling stock, there is a rather large disagreement of what "Scale" certain makes of rolling stock are, due to the manufacturers using what is commonly known as "A rubber scale"
The equipment found on the now abandoned "Newfoundland Railway (CN)" was all the same scale, and when on the island, was, or converted to 3' 6" gauge from standard gauge (4'), using conversion trucks (Bogies)

Generally, when equipping your LARGE SCALE (NA STYLE) railway, you can get away with mixing some 1:29, 1:22.5, and 1:24 Freight equipment, without offending the look of your fleet of equipment, depending of course how dedicate you are to "Fine Scale Modelling".

Another area of concern to some modellers, is the era of the model railway you are creating.
In North America, mixing certain equipment in a train is not allowed under certain regulations, due to the age and construction of said equipment.
For example, mixing modern (Generally after 1950) with anything older with wooden underframes, truss rods, arch bar trucks (Bogies), coupler styles, and braking systems.

On our railway (See it on links at www.ovgrs.org ) We run separate operations for two types of equipment, which we call Narrow Gauge, and Standard Gauge. We do not generally mix the two styles of equipment.

REMEMBER, of course...whatever you care to run on YOUR railway is YOUR CHOICE. If it pleases you, and you are having fun.....THAT IS WHAT REALLY MATTERS, no-matter what some old/young fool tells you....!!!

Thanks for the info. Great stuff. I'm looking forward to spending more time on www.ovgrs.org.

RogerK

Registered
3 Jun 2018
USA
Best answers
Country flag
3Bird

The Maine Garden Railway Society has an indoor display in the Maine Mall in Portland. Even if you don't plan to have a garden railroad, it might be an opportunity to look at some of the different brands and chat with the club members. Contact info and Mall display schedule is on their website. Website is fairly extensive looks like they are pretty active.

Roger

3Bird

Registered
11 Dec 2019
Maine, USA
Best answers
3Bird

The Maine Garden Railway Society has an indoor display in the Maine Mall in Portland. Even if you don't plan to have a garden railroad, it might be an opportunity to look at some of the different brands and chat with the club members. Contact info and Mall display schedule is on their website. Website is fairly extensive looks like they are pretty active.

Roger

Oh wow! That's huge. Thank you.

rusty spike

Registered
4 Aug 2019
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Can I jump in with a question please?
I purchased an Accucraft caboose (1:20.3) And wish to couple to my Bachmann stock. I looked at the Kdee list but I can’t find a ‘joggled’ coupler to drop down from the caboose to the Bachmann stock. Has anyone here found a reliable solution? Sorry for the hijack but seemed an appropriate thread to raise the question :)
Thanks!

Fred Mills

Registered
27 Mar 2017
Best answers
Country flag
What is the scale of the Bachmann stock car ?....1:25.2, or 1:20.3 ? If it is the old 1:25.2 (Big Hauler type) then you had best change its coupler rather than the AMS one. The old Bachmann one is much too low in height, but is easier to change than the AMS (Accucraft) one.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
find a ‘joggled’ coupler to drop down from the caboose
Bachmann's Spectrum 1:20.3 stock has a "joggled" coupler as a spare, as you call it, as most of their larger stock has body-mount couplers like the Accucraft. Check out this thread on the Bachmann Forums:

Bachmann Forum

This pic, from that thread, shows the Bachmann drop-down coupler. The thread mentions a Kadee drop-down coupler. I think I have seen the Bachmann at my local store (Star Hobby.) They came as spares with most Spectrum rolling stock, so you may be able to cadge one from a GSC member!

Shay%20coupler%206.JPG