Missing top of stack on LGB Chloe, where could I find a replacement?

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
At some point, I've turned my loco upside down outside and I've lost the top of the stack (gold coloured piece). Does anyone know whereabouts I would be able to get a replacement, I'm not sure what it's even called. I've attached some pictures of the piece I'm after.

Attachments

• Marklin_LargeScale_Chloe-03.jpeg
    Marklin_LargeScale_Chloe-03.jpeg
    74.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6120.jpg
    IMG_6120.jpg
    421.8 KB · Views: 0

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, it's a shame it's 25EUR to ship to the UK - but at least I have the part codes thanks!

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, it's a shame it's 25EUR to ship to the UK - but at least I have the part codes thanks!
Have a look for any other bits and pieces you may want..
Get a bit more for your 25 EUROS.

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, it's a shame it's 25EUR to ship to the UK

I queried Modell-land's (post-brexit) postage rates to the UK and was told that for orders under 20 Euros, they can use a letter rate of 2,79 € + 6,79 € per kilo (as shown on Zahlung und Versand). With the (negligible) weight of the items shown, that'd be closer to 3 Euros, perhaps. Last month they charged me 2.93 Euros postage for about £10 worth of spare parts.

Best wishes

David

Last edited:

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Have a look for any other bits and pieces you may want..
Get a bit more for your 25 EUROS.
That's my theory! Amortize that shipping cost!:devil:

Reactions: 1 user

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
the top of the stack
That's actually the steam dome. We (in the USA) call the chimney a "stack".

I believe Trackside Details have brass castings for dome caps and the whistle and safety valves. Bachmann Parts may also sell you ones from something, like the Spectrum 2-6-0.

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
I queried Modell-land's (post-brexit) postage rates to the UK and was told that for orders under 20 Euros, they can use a letter rate of 2,79 € + 6,79 € per kilo (as shown on Zahlung und Versand). With the (negligible) weight of the items shown, that'd be closer to 3 Euros, perhaps. Last month they charged me 2.93 Euros postage for about £10 worth of spare parts.

Best wishes

David
Thanks for the info. Looks like it’s 7EUR once I make it to the checkout. Going to message them to see if I can get the other part (24).

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
While i too like things original, these dome parts are very pricey.
i might be inclined, too, to make do with another brass or gold lgb whistle.

that set and top “dome plug” disc may be impossible to find if marklin wont supply.
i would think making a plastic disc, 2 brass rods as pop valves, and a whistle would be a close approximation.

update after the above post,
otoh, i did look on ebay, to my surprise , everything is available, cheaply, say $4-6 US., including to my chagrin, the dome disc, but the shipping charges are laughable ($48 each)

good luck.

Last edited:

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
While i too like things original, these dome parts are very pricey.
i might be inclined, too, to make do with another brass or gold lgb whistle.

that set and top “dome plug” disc may be impossible to find if marklin wont supply.
i would think making a plastic disc, 2 brass rods as pop valves, and a whistle would be a close approximation.

update after the above post,
otoh, i did look on ebay, to my surprise , everything is available, cheaply, say $4-6 US., including to my chagrin, the dome disc, but the shipping charges are laughable ($48 each)

good luck.
Thanks, I’m a bit new to this do you know where I could find another part which will fit? I don’t mind if it’s not original, it just looks odd at the moment so want to cover that screw hole!

SevenOfDiamonds

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
Country flag
do you know where I could find another part which will fit?

Are you able to measure the diameter of the hole where part 24 should sit. I'm wondering whether a "three-hole shirt button", placed upside down (flat side uppermost), might suit . . .

1623838781852.png1623838984101.png

It'd be easy to open out the holes if necessary (though not to move them further apart).

Charity shops are usually a good source of odd buttons . . . but, once we know the diameter, someone on the forum might have "just the job"!

Cheers

David

JungleSkipper

Registered
18 Feb 2021
UK
Best answers
Country flag
Are you able to measure the diameter of the hole where part 24 should sit. I'm wondering whether a "three-hole shirt button", placed upside down (flat side uppermost), might suit . . .

View attachment 286417View attachment 286418

It'd be easy to open out the holes if necessary (though not to move them further apart).

Charity shops are usually a good source of odd buttons . . . but, once we know the diameter, someone on the forum might have "just the job"!

Cheers

David
That's an amazing idea. I have a whole heap of buttons off of things. Let me check!

This is a perfect use case for a 3D printer ...... been looking for an excuse to get one.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
train li has an olomano style stack. while i sifted through 35 pages of parts, i did not finish. perhaps you can find a Chloe stack'. They also have a smattering of FRR coach and caboose parts, roofs etc. best to get the item /model numbers if youre going to peruse. some roofs look a lot alike on a screen.

as for suggestions as to replacement pop and whistle, i eyeballed my mogul and Forney dome stuff for you, and they are close. again i did not try to actually fit them, but i think they would fit with or without a bit of hole shaping.

i would think, simple thin plastic tubing or even brass, or even really thick solid copper wire might be close for pop valves, as they don't see, to have much distinctive detail. one might use a bit of brass or plastic tubing, and put a square???bead on the top and glue a metal strip of some sort as a "lever", a little gold paint and viola!. or even an aftermarket brass detail part, like a Trackside Details brass whistle.

Last edited: