Miscellaneous Power

Andrew_au

Registered
12 Nov 2021
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Recently picked up a couple of LGB 10560 electric uncouplers. They have a standard-ish EPL motor to drive the uncoupler, and a second power interface to power the light.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to power the light.

I have an LGB 50110 transformer, to go with my now-broken MTS 2 control station. I assume it's OK to use the AC output of the transformer to directly power the light (and any similar lights on my system)? Any gotchas to be aware of? Although it's not as convenient as tapping track power, I'm happy to run a second circuit for lighting, etc.

Other options:
  • Power the light from track power. This seems like a bad idea, given that no signalling is needed for the lighting and its extra current draw on the main track power supply.
  • Power the light from an auxiliary output on my Zimo Roco Z21XL. Except that there doesn't seem to be an auxiliary output.
  • Something else?
Any recommendations?

Last edited:

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have a newer one of these, and decided not to power the light, unless you use an auxiliary point switch the light is permanently on and provides no purpose.

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I think you meant Roco Z21XL. Is the layout indoors or out? If indoors I'd consider using your now excess LGB 50110 (I assume you got a new switching PS for the Z21XL) to power your lights as the extra wiring is probably not that onerous. I imagine you could get by with a 16 or even 18 awg zip wire main lighting bus and not have too bad a voltage drop issue. Outdoors it's maybe not such a good choice depending on the wiring required. Outdoors I'd replace the stock 50 mA incandescent bulb with a LED replacement for lower current consumption and use the track for power. Especially if you have a lot of lights to power. That's what I have done for my turnout and uncoupler lanterns. But a few 50 mA bulbs are not going to tax your system. You can always replace them with LEDs later. I do have a separate 60w low voltage power supply for my water feature lighting that I have tapped for some building lighting. But only where there are a lot of lights co-located such as near my two stations. However, even in my station areas it was much more convenient to use track power for the turnout lanterns. There are direct replacement E5.5 base LED bulbs that have built-in rectifiers and resistors available consuming about 15 mA each. That's a whole lot of lights needed to put any significant dent in the track current you have available assuming it's the 6A Z21XL maximum.

Jimmy's point (he snuck in before I finished this!) is a good one. My uncoupler lanterns are switched so they only come on when the ramps are up. The lights still get their juice from the track though.

Last edited:

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The 50mA, or so, the bulb will take, is negligible to the rating of your track supply..

If permanently powered (from the track) at least it would act as a reminder you have left the power on.
Though only until the bulb fails..

PhilP

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I used track power (DCC) with a supplementary switch so that the light was on when the uncoupler was "up".

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
You could use a 10ma LED to minimize current. These do light up at low voltages but one will need a diode bridge and dropping resistor from track power with DC operations, With DCC just one diode and resistor will work. Or go with a diode bridge , CL2N3 with a 20 ma led and voltages over 6 volts will give full led brightness for DC or DCC.