Minimum space G Scaling

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Following up a comment in my thread on the new indoor section of Ruritanian Railways, here's the track diagram for a layout I once had in an 8.5 foot by 6.5 foot bedroom/study. Door bottom left, window on the right. Designed for use with 6 wagons and an LGB Schoema shunter (or a Stainz). Maximum train of 3 vehicles which went "offstage" on the headshunt under the window. There was enough space to get my desk and filing cabinet in under the line and have some manoeuvring space, though not much! Main baseboard 2 feet wide, with a 6 inch plank under the window and a small extra baseboard on the door wall.

537953cfba9540ffb5a857d4f4aa3e1e.jpg

ceejaydee

Big Trains
29 Nov 2009
Far East of Bedfordshire
Best answers
Excellent and thanks for sharing.
Again lots of fun in a space where you'd possibly struggle with all but the simplest of OO branchlines.
I have a room 10'6" x 8'6" and can realistically use three and three quarters(door in wall!) sides although width will be restricted above my two desks.
As I have a small engine policy I have the types of engines you describe at my disposal.
I like the idea of a shunting type layout with enough operating potential to do a few movements to keep interest during the dark evenings and the all too frequent wet days.
At the moment the place looks more like a warehouse (too many railway models and Action Man stuff) but there is nothing like having a reason to sort it all out to get you fired up ;)

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
ceejaydee said:
I like the idea of a shunting type layout with enough operating potential to do a few movements to keep interest during the dark evenings and the all too frequent wet days.
At the moment the place looks more like a warehouse (too many railway models and Action Man stuff) but there is nothing like having a reason to sort it all out to get you fired up ;)
Ah yes, the latter was another reason I ditched the OO gauge. Needed storage space for the ever-growing pile of G Scale! If you're interested in shunting layouts, I recommend this site very highly: http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/

ceejaydee

Big Trains
29 Nov 2009
Far East of Bedfordshire
Best answers
Think I may have seen that before after following a link from Carl Arendt's site - amazing how resourceful some folks are.

I played around with a timesaver style layout many years ago with OO set track - good fun and strangely relaxing too.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Currently being refurbished, HardYard is around 7 ft long with a 4 1/2 feet scenic section.
The sector plate can handle a V52 and a short Toytrain wagon, or a Shoema and 2 wagons (just).

It's about to go MTS and this year, I'm planning to exhibit it as a loco servicing yard, rather than a goods yard, using sound equiped diesel locos like the V52 and 2095 classes....

http://www.gscalecentral.net/tm?m=51853&high =

1b6ab57cdb0742c681339d79c36d471c.jpg

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
Here's another minimum G scale idea. It measures 8ft 4ins square, and was made up from eight boards 3ft 3ins by 2ft 4ins, hinged togerther in pairs. It could have handled four-wheeled stock easily, but I used shortened US style freight cars (down from 30 scale feet to about 22 - 24 feet, depending on body style). The layout visited ten shows over a six year period, after which the drawback of having to crawl under the baseboard to operate it became all to obvious and it was mothballed - to be rebult recently in extended permanent form.
ab64f04a14ab4862b8c170a1e6f32ba0.jpg

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
I like these ideas for small layouts, I am working on one at the moment in the loft with my mate Maurice Taylor. I will post details when it has evolved into a sensible scheme

dragon

Video. Photography. Garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
I am currently considering building a layout in the garage which is about 8' x 16' so I can run the British outline stock I build. I'm hopeless at track plans and ideally would like it on two levels. While clearing the garage I found four R1 points so they should be a good start. Any ideas?

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
dragon said:
I am currently considering building a layout in the garage which is about 8' x 16' so I can run the British outline stock I build. I'm hopeless at track plans and ideally would like it on two levels. While clearing the garage I found four R1 points so they should be a good start. Any ideas?
Hmm, will the car and/or anything else need to fit in. What size and position is the access door(s)?

dragon

24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Neil Robinson said:
dragon said:
Hmm, will the car and/or anything else need to fit in. What size and position is the access door(s)?

Car will stay on the drive. Access door at rear of right hand wall ( standing on drive looking to back of garage.) Lifting bridge suggested for this. Should have mentioned I want a round and round.

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
dragon said:
...and ideally would like it on two levels.

with the space avayable, you are not talking a two-level-layout, but two seperate layouts above each other.
no way to make a ramp, that is short enough.

dragon

24 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
korm kormsen said:
dragon said:
...and ideally would like it on two levels.

with the space avayable, you are not talking a two-level-layout, but two seperate layouts above each other.
no way to make a ramp, that is short enough.

That mirrors my thinking. I can't see any way to join the two.

tramcar trev

all manner of mechanical apparatus...
22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
trevs-tramway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Here is my planned G gauge tramway.... curves around 250mm radius so there will be plenty of pacemaker stopping flange squeal. Cut from 1 1800 x 1200 sheet of 20 mm marine ply and will be suspended from my back fence... I have made plans to allow for an extension into an interurban route if money permits, the terminus for this would be at the lefthand loop as I'm not sure bogie cars are going to negotiate the curves.... the loop on the right is actually a car standing bay so a tram can drive forward into service rather that me have to swing trolley poles..... I'm working on a design for loooooooooong tweezers to put poles back on the trolley wire.... My rail arrives next week, I'm nearly wetting myself with excitement.... Scenic planting will be real grown in pots set in appropriatley sized holes, the edges comoflaged with fine gravel, moss etc....Doubt that there will be much room for buildings etc, as it will be mainly street scape so oportunities for street lighting and building fascades will be the big GO...
A lot can be achieved in a small space......So one does not need to be a "chap" with room for a pony to enjoy this gauge....

2d3e193516314624b39a5cac1adc2d11.jpg

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
You could always do a Cromford & High Peak or Somerset Mineral Railway - link the two with a cable incline!

Mick

C&S

Registered
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
tramcar trev said:
Here is my planned G gauge tramway....
images

That's very close to the "Hidden Valley Traction Co" layout design on Carl Arendt's Micro Layout website. Sorry I don't know how to insert a link to the right page, but it's in the Industrial Layouts section on the contents page, under Traction/Tramways.

The difference is that he's included a car barn and a couple of spurs for interurban-style freight traffic.

themole

tramways
25 Oct 2009
In a burrow.
Best answers
Country flag
If you like trams and tramways, then you do not need acres of space, plus tight radius curves. I have also an indoor layout of 12ft X 10ft and I can run four trams at a time. Alyn

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
themole said:
If you like trams and tramways, then you do not need acres of space, plus tight radius curves. I have also an indoor layout of 12ft X 10ft and I can run four trams at a time. Alyn

A brief idea of how you run the 4 at once would be appreciated.... I'm thinking of radio control myself for my setup, but it looks expensive to achieve

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
dragon said:

Have a look at the micro layouts on this web page http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/small-layouts.html
You probably have room to create a "switchback" design. The two levels don't have to be separated by much to give a nice impression.

I'd also recommend that you try AnyRail as a design tool. There's a version which is free to download and both free and fee versions are updated very regularly (the current versions even have the new Piko curved points). http://www.anyrail.com/download_en.html

tramcar trev

22 Jan 2011
Canberra, Australia
Best answers
C&S said:
tramcar trev said:
Here is my planned G gauge tramway....
images

That's very close to the "Hidden Valley Traction Co" layout design on Carl Arendt's Micro Layout website. Sorry I don't know how to insert a link to the right page, but it's in the Industrial Layouts section on the contents page, under Traction/Tramways.

The difference is that he's included a car barn and a couple of spurs for interurban-style freight traffic.

Thanks for the guide... I checked that out yes similar but in ho.... same principle as mine too tight curves.... Nothing is original is it, I thought mine was....