Mine winding house!

jetomlin

Scratch building Bridges and Buildings.</br>Steame
24 Oct 2009
West End, Southampton
Best answers
I am thinking of obtaining/making a minewinding house at the end of a disused track. I can't find a kit available although i have seen photographs on the web of real and model structures...at worst I must build from scratch!
Suggestions as to kits or plans would be welcome!

A

Alec K

If it's any help at all, I was faced with same issue but at 4mm:1 foot scale three or so years ago. My proposed line then had a distinct Westcountry theme and it would not have been complete without an abandoned Cornish Engine House. Pictures are attached:
ac58181295fb4818bed7664a6394e702.jpg

149958260cac4f1c9a15fbb3bcb1d75d.jpg

6d287e4666ce41dbac14969927bf2f7f.jpg

You'll see that I even modelled the capped shaft below the bob wall of the engine house, which is depicted as it would have looked in the 1930s before the wholesale scrap drives began. The whole model is based on a scale drawing, with all elevations, of Wheal Busy engine and boiler houses, with chimney, which appears on the endpapers of:

Barton, D B: The Cornish Beam Engine, second edition, 1969, Truro, D Bradford Barton Limited.

I think the book has been out of print for a while now, but a local library should be able to locate a copy somewhere. OK, of course, if it's a tin/copper/arsenic/wolfram/lead mine prototype you're after in the UK!

All the best,

Alec K

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Alec K said:
If it's any help at all, I was faced with same issue but at 4mm:1 foot scale three or so years ago. My proposed line then had a distinct Westcountry theme and it would not have been complete without an abandoned Cornish Engine House. Pictures are attached:

Gorgeous model! Congrats on creating that. :clap:

A

Alec K

Thank you, Peter, much appreciated. I really enjoyed building Wheal Busy; when I switched completely to 13mm:1 foot, I did start again on the Cornish Engine House theme and got as far as building the ornate chimney of Kit Hill Consols Mine, which is still a landmark in East Cornwall.

The core of the tapering section of the chimney was a length of plastic drainpipe from B and Q, and the taper was added by stapling and screwing a shaped and truncated cone of chicken wire to the pipe. Over the chicken wire I added lengths of plaster bandage. The chimney cap was formed from cut and shaped plywood. Kit Hill Consols was selected because its sole remaining chimney did not have the characteristic brick extension for draught purposes, being sited on the summit of a hill with more than adequate natural draught.

The square base of the chimney was constructed from foamboard, with layers of stone-embossed plastic sheet added.

And there I stopped. I couldn't work out how to add convincing stonework texture to the chimney itself, which scaled out at around 4' high. Furthermore, an engine and boiler house made to scale (Wheal Busy in reality is a particularly massive and fine example) to accompany the chimney would be enormous, even if I had used a modest prototype. Somewhere I have a picture of the chimney at its final if incomplete state. I'll see if I can find it tomorrow.

That's a long way round, I guess, of offering a tip to those contemplating building any kind of mine buildings to scale that they will dominate their setting and occupy a great deal of space -just like the real thing.

Best wishes,

Alec K

A

Alec K

Found it - here's the 'G' scale Kit Hill Consols pumping engine chimney, now scrapped. Happily the prototype is still very much with us. With scale rolling stock beside it, the model was entirely in proportion - but just inappropriate for a raised line without the huge amount of extra decking that would have been needed to accomodate the engine and boiler houses. Ah well, still learning through experience here...
5a6952a61b7c405ab01472d16865f2c8.jpg

All the best,

Alec K