Middle Prong RR and the land grab

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
I see a candidate for 'Moose-Rack Mountain' in that picture? :nerd: :)

it look's idyllic.. What is it like when the stream is in spate? :(
Most years the stream will fill its banks once or twice. In May of 2010 we had an event where it was 50-100’ wide with 2-3’ deep white caps rolling through field.

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum, particularly another hound. Name please?
Over the years, I have answered to many names. For this forum, I have chosen to go by my first name, Edgar (how ever I have been a Hassell all my life.) I’ve done a net search for the meaning, in British slang, of term ‘hound’. I found several definitions that could accurately be applied to me, but these may not reflect your meaning.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Over the years, I have answered to many names. For this forum, I have chosen to go by my first name, Edgar (how ever I have been a Hassell all my life.) I’ve done a net search for the meaning, in British slang, of term ‘hound’. I found several definitions that could accurately be applied to me, but these may not reflect your meaning.

Top-right corner, first picture, in Post #5

(Jon, is a dog owner)

'Hound' - Generic term for a dog. Guessing in your part of the world, a 'hound' tend's to be more specific, though still quite general?

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you for the clarification. We have two German Shepherds (mother and daughter) Danni and Sasha. The two are hard to tell apart until side by side. Danni has more reddish coloring and Sasha a little heavier. This one is probably Danni, who generally sticks closer to me. The father’s name was Jude. We lost him a couple of years when poisoned by who we assumed to be an intimidated neighbor.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry to hear that.. :(

Some have a fear of larger dogs.. There is the odd owner, of course, who either trains the dog to be vicious, or mistreats the animal, who learns not to trust humans.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Edgar yes I was searching for the Dog name, apparently names. So sad about the loss of the father such a tradgedy, we so not have capital punishment in the UK but as can think of a few good reasons to restore it. You mentioned one in my eyes as a dog lover. I have a golden retriever Barney, getting in a little but he appears in some if my posts. Had two cross Sheps in the past, one with a Wolfhound the other with a Rottweiler. Bot fabulous dogs but I always wanted a full one, such clever brain high dogs and those ears!

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
Jude was family and the vet said he had been poisoned, I was very upset, and went round to the neighbors to make sure everyone understood I did not want responsibility for knowing who had done it. Years ago I had a full blooded Doberman given to me ( he may have been mistreated before I got him.) He was mean and stupid; I had a glass jack and a rifle when I dropped him from the deck before the birth of my first son. Next we had a pit bull (squirt) and didn’t have his tail clipped. As a two year old toddler, my oldest son would hold squirt’s tail and ski sock footed on the vinyl flooring. I believe most dogs, unless trained, mistreated, or provoked are not mean. Jude was a seven year old big lovable baby. Thank you for the sentiments.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Jude was family and the vet said he had been poisoned, I was very upset, and went round to the neighbors to make sure everyone understood I did not want responsibility for knowing who had done it. Years ago I had a full blooded Doberman given to me ( he may have been mistreated before I got him.) He was mean and stupid; I had a glass jack and a rifle when I dropped him from the deck before the birth of my first son. Next we had a pit bull (squirt) and didn’t have his tail clipped. As a two year old toddler, my oldest son would hold squirt’s tail and ski sock footed on the vinyl flooring. I believe most dogs, unless trained, mistreated, or provoked are not mean. Jude was a seven year old big lovable baby. Thank you for the sentiments.
Unfortunately most of the idiotic minority who want vicious dogs go for the standard suspects, all dogs can be dangerous if put to it though. Most owners of an unfriendly dog will keep it in check. Pit bulls are playful animals, but years of breeding unfortunately can make them vicious towards other dogs.

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
Paul, I agree with what you’re saying. And regret that I may be tossed into the category of idiotic minority. I’ve always liked having large dogs. My house can’t be seen from the road, I like the privacy, but it leaves me vulnerable when no one is home. The nearest neighbor in one direction is a half mile and close to a mile in the other. The Doberman was left here by an acquaintance, he stayed a couple of years, but I was never comfortable to turn my back on him. When my wife moved in thirty years ago, she brought with her a Rottweiler, that got stole. We had a chocolate Labrador, also stolen. These dog breeds that my insurance company asks about, are the ones that give strangers second thought about taking a look around since no one seems to be home. If I’ve been offensive, please forgive me. Edgar

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
The statement about pit bulls being playful has me reminiscing how Squirt world take a running start to the thirty foot tire swing in the lower yard yard. He would leap in the air and grab the rope, swing high, and spin. After my first postings, I told Terri that she had been referenced as war and finance and I had painted myself as a he-man-woman-hater (Terri is my wife.). This evening I had her read my thread from the beginning. After she’d Finished, she got up to go watch Steven King with the kids and said “ maybe you should just stick to talking about your Choo-choo.”

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Paul, I agree with what you’re saying. And regret that I may be tossed into the category of idiotic minority. I’ve always liked having large dogs. My house can’t be seen from the road, I like the privacy, but it leaves me vulnerable when no one is home. The nearest neighbor in one direction is a half mile and close to a mile in the other. The Doberman was left here by an acquaintance, he stayed a couple of years, but I was never comfortable to turn my back on him. When my wife moved in thirty years ago, she brought with her a Rottweiler, that got stole. We had a chocolate Labrador, also stolen. These dog breeds that my insurance company asks about, are the ones that give strangers second thought about taking a look around since no one seems to be home. If I’ve been offensive, please forgive me. Edgar
Sorry, I didn't actually mean to lump you (or anyone else in particular ) in the idiot minority column. Having seen your garden from the pictures there's obviously a lot of area for your dogs to roam. The Idiots I'm talking about, and we've all seen them, are the ones who have a massive dog cooped up in unsuitable surroundings, let their frustrated animal loose in the local park, let it cr*p everywhere and leave the sh*t where lies or throw the poop bag into the trees, and then moan when the dog mauls them, or a neighbour, and has to be put down.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Sorry, I didn't actually mean to lump you (or anyone else in particular ) in the idiot minority column. Having seen your garden from the pictures there's obviously a lot of area for your dogs to roam. The Idiots I'm talking about, and we've all seen them, are the ones who have a massive dog cooped up in unsuitable surroundings, let their frustrated animal loose in the local park, let it cr*p everywhere and leave the sh*t where lies or throw the poop bag into the trees, and then moan when the dog mauls them, or a neighbour, and has to be put down.
Oops sorry my fault that we diverted to dogs as I was interested in the Shep as I think they are great dogs. Can understand the issues about security when living remotely, friends of mine in Norfolk UK lived on a modest sized Farm not that remote but it was constantly patrolled from the Road by a certain type of people. Not a nice thing to have to live with and makes you worried every tim you go out leaving the house and perhaps dogs to fend For themselves.

Perhaps as the lady says time to get back to the cho cho’s.

Edgar

Registered
13 May 2020
Tennessee
Best answers
Country flag
No worries. As I alluded to earlier, this is my first attempt at actively participating in a forum. Over the years I read on many subjects and got turned off by the cruel nature people will address each other. Three thousand members spread around the world, with maybe four times that lurking, is a relatively small group (it wouldn’t put more than a dent in a sport arena.) I understand there was an earlier forum abandoned for lack of civility and I respect the effort made here to avoid similar issues. I spent months reading the many threads posted here and gained an insight to the personality of some of the more active members; so I feel safe opening a little of myself up to you. It’s raining again today, but there’s a small pile short track and points needing tweaked before assembling the switch yard. I’ve yet to figure how to pull just a line out of someone else’s post to comment on. But Paul had mentioned grand central station in his welcome. Below should be a picture of an antique block print of union station in Nashville. Terri brought it home probably twenty years ago. I recall it being some ridiculous $80 to have the mat cut and I’ve yet to get around to making a frame; it hangs on the wall inside the deck doors. A8191F6B-77CD-4664-95DD-EA9BAEB39A55.jpeg

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
No worries. As I alluded to earlier, this is my first attempt at actively participating in a forum. Over the years I read on many subjects and got turned off by the cruel nature people will address each other. Three thousand members spread around the world, with maybe four times that lurking, is a relatively small group (it wouldn’t put more than a dent in a sport arena.) I understand there was an earlier forum abandoned for lack of civility and I respect the effort made here to avoid similar issues. I spent months reading the many threads posted here and gained an insight to the personality of some of the more active members; so I feel safe opening a little of myself up to you. It’s raining again today, but there’s a small pile short track and points needing tweaked before assembling the switch yard. I’ve yet to figure how to pull just a line out of someone else’s post to comment on. But Paul had mentioned grand central station in his welcome. Below should be a picture of an antique block print of union station in Nashville. Terri brought it home probably twenty years ago. I recall it being some ridiculous $80 to have the mat cut and I’ve yet to get around to making a frame; it hangs on the wall inside the deck doors. View attachment 266517
Yes they are a friendly bunch on here, also more than willing to answer any sort of questions.

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
Those Nashville streetcars are seriously dwarfed by the station building.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
I’ve yet to figure how to pull just a line out of someone else’s post to comment on.

Hi Edgar. I just click on the REPLY (Bottom R/H corner of a person's post) and then delete what you don't want by wiping the cursor over the words that are not wanted and deleting. Images are easy too - just click on image and press delete. However, if you are using a smart phone, I wouldn't have a clue!

Nice image of the station by the way!

Jasper

Hey, I'm only being creative here.
11 Mar 2017
The Netherlands
Best answers
Country flag
If you are using a smartphone, put the cursor just beyond the image and press backspace.