Micron-Dynamics decoders

Andrew_au

Registered
12 Nov 2021
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Has anyone had any experience with the Micron-dynamics decoders (and specifically the DRIVE-L)?

I'm also looking at the MD AKW switch decoder, which has 8 outputs for significantly less than the Massoth or LGB 4 output versions.

schienenkönig

I'm a tram enthusiast and have made trams Scale G
4 May 2014
Wuppertal
Country
Germany
www.schwebebahn-wtal.de
Best answers
Country flag
Hi I'm using his decoders and they are very good. I didn't have the DRIVE-L decoder, but the DRIVE:-M ones They are the same as the DRIVE-L ones with a different board. Marius the owner is a nice man and really helpfull. If you are looking for his switch decoder and you are using the massoth station, you must change a CV. At the moment I don't now wich one, but Marius will tell you.

Peter

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
I have many (17 total) of the PWD function decoders installed in my LGB passenger wagons. They work perfectly as replacements for the original regulator boards with only one issue. They regulate the output at 5V. I don't know that it is adjustable. The original voltage regulator boards in 4 axle LGB wagons actually put out 7 to 8 volts even though the bulbs are nominally rated at 5V. As a result, the lights are dimmer than stock with the PWD boards. I got around this by replacing the LGB bulbs with 5V bulbs that consume about 100 mA each rather than the original 33 mA LGB bulbs. This restored the brightness plus a bit. The additional current consumption is not an issue for me, in fact, I have some additional PWD decoder boards I have since ordered to convert three additional passenger wagons. This would not be an issue if the incandescent bulbs are replaced with LEDs.

I am also using some MD SWD servo switch decoder/motors. I used them to replace one of the original LGB EPL motors on my dual uncouplers. Dual LGB 10560 electric uncouplers. It works great. I'm using it's auxiliary output to turn on the uncoupling lantern in the unmodified uncoupler. This eliminated the need for a LGB supplementary switch on the un-modified uncoupler.

By the way, the SWD actuating bar has been redesigned so it now will operate the LGB turnout lanterns which is a great improvement. I use turnout lanterns to visually verify point settings. I will be using these newer models to replace the manual operator on any future LGB R5 turnouts I install. They are much more cost effective than buying separate EPL drives and switch decoders.

Last edited: