MFX whistle sound tweek, function mapping or whatever it is called.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Whilst I am not a fan of MFX chips, I have enough problems getting head around Massoth DCC., but I do have one MFX loco.

So I have done the basics with it switched to DCC, changed the number, turned it around so the front is back, in order to fit a driver in the new front cab, and still have access to the cab switches in what is now the rear cab.
All of which can be followed from the CV/Register instructions that LGB/Marklin provide.

I am stumped in a whistle sound tweek.

F1 gives you a "Long Whistle" switches it on until you press F1 again.
I would like to limit that to a max of 5/10 seconds, to bring it into line with Massoth sound settings, to prevent annoyance to the neighbourhood should I forget to press F1 again.

Just wondering if anyone out there can give me some pointers as to how to do it, or a full list of what the function mapping settings are.

Would love to be able to swap a couple of function activation setting over as well swapping F6 and 8, but as more of a work around I have swapped those functions on the Massoth fitted locos.

Last edited:

MaximDeDonder

Registered
24 Apr 2018
Lokeren
Best answers
Country flag
I don't know if you can do that. Just like DCC, buttons can have a 'switch' or 'impulse' behaviour. F1 is a switch, so not bounded to time limits.

You can however in the Central Station 2 and 3 add time time settings to every F function. This is saved in the central station and not in the decoder. So you can set a F1 on for 7 seconds for example.
I don't know if others brands can do that?

Greetings
Maxim

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Is there still a 'whistle with echo' on (from memory) F3? - This was a set length.. :think::nerd:

PhilP.

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Not on MFX its in the case of the Crock a pantograph up/down command, along with F7 directional swap over.

I have probably got them the wrong way round, but F3 & 7 work the pantographs.

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Whilst I am not a fan of MFX chips, I have enough problems getting head around Massoth DCC., but I do have one MFX loco.

So I have done the basics with it switched to DCC, changed the number, turned it around so the front is back, in order to fit a driver in the new front cab, and still have access to the cab switches in what is now the rear cab.
All of which can be followed from the CV/Register instructions that LGB/Marklin provide.

I am stumped in a whistle sound tweek.

F1 gives you a "Long Whistle" switches it on until you press F1 again.
I would like to limit that to a max of 5/10 seconds, to bring it into line with Massoth sound settings, to prevent annoyance to the neighbourhood should I forget to press F1 again.

Just wondering if anyone out there can give me some pointers as to how to do it, or a full list of what the function mapping settings are.

Would love to be able to swap a couple of function activation setting over as well swapping F6 and 8, but as more of a work around I have swapped those functions on the Massoth fitted locos.

Gordon,

See below function 1 needs changing on the nav. i.e. momentary. then it just sounds the horn for the correct duration as intended.

DiMAX Navigator – Massoth Elektronik GmbH (see page 17 for more details)
1587552388301.png

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Gordon,

See below function 1 needs changing on the nav. i.e. momentary. then it just sounds the horn for the correct duration as intended.

DiMAX Navigator – Massoth Elektronik GmbH (see page 17 for more details)
View attachment 264952
Did you do that to an Mfx decoder, or another make. Using the software from a navvy can really mess with Mfx, changing Cvs you really were not thinking about. It is very time consuming but the only safe way to play with CV on an Mfx without a CS2 or 3 is by changing individual CVs - one at a time.
For example of the cock ups using the software can cause. If you select a high address number (over 127) and use the massoth kit to change everything (CV17, 18, 27) it will put CV18 to a value of zero - I know! - and nothing will work. You need to set each one individually. Why MLGB market a decoder as DCC compatible when you can only change it easily is with a MS2/3 I dont understand. I expect the truth is you should love them so much you would only ever want a CS2/3

Nodrog1826

Professional Idiot
21 Nov 2013
United Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Followed the above, with both navigators, just in case it is a software issue, but to no effect.

Ah well it's something i will have to live with, suppose its prototypical whistle works until you switch it off.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
What DCC system (controller, throttle) are you using?

Have not found a "good" system (as opposed to basic) yet that does not let you make a function key on the throttle momentary.

I do see you want a whistle of a certain duration, as opposed to holding that button for the specified time.

This might need to be a custom sound, some decoders will let you add one.

So, just to understand, what throttles, and wouldn't momentary function key work for you?

Greg

wandgrudd

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Did you do that to an Mfx decoder, or another make. Using the software from a navvy can really mess with Mfx, changing Cvs you really were not thinking about. It is very time consuming but the only safe way to play with CV on an Mfx without a CS2 or 3 is by changing individual CVs - one at a time.
For example of the cock ups using the software can cause. If you select a high address number (over 127) and use the massoth kit to change everything (CV17, 18, 27) it will put CV18 to a value of zero - I know! - and nothing will work. You need to set each one individually. Why MLGB market a decoder as DCC compatible when you can only change it easily is with a MS2/3 I dont understand. I expect the truth is you should love them so much you would only ever want a CS2/3

All the above on page 17 does is change the switch press from latching to momentary on the navigator, it has absolutely no effect on any CV settings whatsoever, mfx.mts or otherwise.