Merlin Mayflower Pressure gauge

jimmytrains_0

Registered
16 Dec 2009
Ealing
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone have a spare "original" gauge for sale or an appropriate modern gauge I can source.
My loco needs an 80lb gauge to comply with the inspection and hydrolics test for certification and has got stuck at 40psi, it has been pressurised as far as 60 psi and there is no issue with safety valves not lifting, so it seems to be need for a new gauge.

Thanks in anticipation,

Andy

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
jimmytrains_0 said:
Does anyone have a spare "original" gauge for sale or an appropriate modern gauge I can source.
My loco needs an 80lb gauge to comply with the inspection and hydrolics test for certification and has got stuck at 40psi, it has been pressurised as far as 60 psi and there is no issue with safety valves not lifting, so it seems to be need for a new gauge.

Thanks in anticipation,

Andy

You sure that 80psi is correct for the test? I used a few years back to do Boiler testing for the 16mm assn. I cannot remember what we tested boilers too now, but 50% over Blow Of Pressure would I think have been the test done Hydraulically (with water). The Preasure gauge would be tested during this process to see that it matches the Test Gauge (which is calibrated each year). Then your presure gauge would be tested to check that the engine blows off at its Blow Off Pressure. This is 40PSI for a Merlin Mayflower NOT 80PSI. The blow off should match your pressure gauge which would have had a RED LINE put in at the 40PSI. This test is done under steam.

Hope that I have remembered all this correctly. I am sure someone will tell me if I have anything wrong.
JonD