Melted Wheel Pickup

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hello

I was cleaning the wheels on my LGB Rio Grande ALCO (similar to 20550/25552) when I thought that I has a missing wheel pickup. On taking the base plate off, I can see that it is not missing, it has melted into the bogie casing as per the picture. Anyone experienced this before and what could have caused it?
IMG_3837.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, seen similar..
Either the skate was 'hooked-up' and other wheels were not picking-up (dirty wheel-backs, or worn carbon-brushes) on that side, or more likely, loco not on track properly, or derailed and only that wheel picking-up one side.

A right-royal pain to dig the brush out of the block.. Then had to build-up the block to support the replacement brush.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, seen similar..
Either the skate was 'hooked-up' and other wheels were not picking-up (dirty wheel-backs, or worn carbon-brushes) on that side, or more likely, loco not on track properly, or derailed and only that wheel picking-up one side.

A right-royal pain to dig the brush out of the block.. Then had to build-up the block to support the replacement brush.

I've noticed that this and weak springs inside the pickups (also presumably due to overheating) often occurs in twin bogie locos. I assume it is often caused by one or more wheels of a derailed bogie ending up on the "wrong" rail thereby causing a short circuit through the pickups and loco wiring. Stalling on an incorrectly set live frog point is another cause I've noted.

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, seen similar..

How did you manage to get the melted pickup out?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
How did you manage to get the melted pickup out?

Cut some of the 'melt' away, then used the soldering iron to heat the brush-holder, and prised it out with a small screwdriver..
Not pretty, or easy.. - BEWARE! the brush-holder stay hot for a surprisingly long time! :mad::eek:

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I use a small reamer and file to clean out the plastic ridges in the motor block.