Massoth XLS sound in an XL decoder?

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
I'm chipping an LGB 2080, does anyone know if the available xls sound file can be programmed into an ls decoder as the xls is overkill in the power department?
Cheers Colin

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Any Massoth sound can be programmed into an LS decoder. Get the dealer to put in what you want when you buy it, or if you want to do it yourself then you would need a PC Module (and a PC!).

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Cliff George said:
Any Massoth sound can be programmed into an LS decoder. Get the dealer to put in what you want when you buy it, or if you want to do it yourself then you would need a PC Module (and a PC!).

Not 100% correct. Massoth normally provides the same sound in XLS and LS (and now S) specific files - this is not the case for all sounds though!

The sound files for the 99-6001 HSB loco ARE available for the LS decoder (8211080 1C1 99-6001 HSB).

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
Cheers for that, I've ordered an LS decoder but given the reference for the XLS soundfile :banghead:
Hopefully they'll be able to sort it, if not I've got the correct reference now

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
I've ordered several LS decoders (and a couple of the new S sound-only units) from Jeremy at Dragon, and he's been able to load them with my choice of sound files from the range that Massoth list for the XLS, with no problems. I had the two S modules programmed for a Zillertal U class and a Pigsnout railbus, both of which were factory-MTS chipped but needed sound adding.

Jon.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
I've ordered several LS decoders (and a couple of the new S sound-only units) from Jeremy at Dragon, and he's been able to load them with my choice of sound files from the range that Massoth list for the XLS, with no problems. I had the two S modules programmed for a Zillertal U class and a Pigsnout railbus, both of which were factory-MTS chipped but needed sound adding.

Jon.

You will find that the sounds you refer to are available for the LS, S & XLS decoders - each sound file is specific to the type of decoder and are NOT interchangable.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
I'm with Jon on this one. Never had any problems getting XLS sounds into an LS, via a dealer.

Maybe the file formats are different, I don't know. If they are then Massoth must produce them for each of their range of decoders for each sound.

Colin, did you manage to get the sounds you wanted programmed in?

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
i agree with mark. he dose know his stuff

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
My chip arrived with the wrong sound file programmed into it Cliff but it's winging it's way back to Dragon for a reprogram as I type.
Colin